Trying to stick with the game...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by keithburgun, Jun 20, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. keithburgun

keithburgun Member

I'm totally loving this game, and I think it's SO sad that Troika died, I love all their games. But one thing i'm noticing (Besides the bugs of course, which is not a big deal) is a really weird difficulty ramp--- like it seems like either stuff gets SUPER hard SUPER fast or I just am missing some critical things about gameplay (which I sorta doubt, I'm pretty familiar with D&D stuff by now...)

anyway, I'm trying to stick with it and just KEEP on leveling up on SUPER easy monsters, but it definitely gets boring pretty quick when its too easy or too hard. So maybe someone has some advice!

-Keith

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Perhaps if you asked about a specific encounter, advice could be shared that was more appropriate to your needs? Eventually, those easy monsters won't yield much in the way of experience, you know; and we just might have something to share about how to beat the Hill Giant in the meadows, as an example...

3. keithburgun

keithburgun Member

Well, that's just it... I killed the Hill Giant... and I killed the big Gar... and pretty much every other quest that I found available in the 2 towns that I know of (the pirate town and the first town, i forget the names.) Also, killed the orcs in the cave and the big spiders... so, the only place i HAVENT killed now is the Temple itself, but I went in there and just got SMOKED to HELL. so where's a good place to level up right before the temple?

Thanks.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

you might have to change your tactics then.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hmmm... you went straight in the side tower perhaps...?

If you go in the front doors and down the stairs, you will find things much easier: thats the standard progression.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yeah, those self buffing NPC's are a bitch. ;)

You can work your way around to the front entrance if you keep wandering towards the bottom of the map, and use the door icon, plenty of easier fights in there.

7. keithburgun

keithburgun Member

Ah, OK. Didn't think I could get in the front-way. yes, the side door is very hard! =]

Thanks guys

8. Aeroldoth

Aeroldoth Established Member

You could also try the Hickory mod. You may or may not find that easier, depending on your tactics.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I've beaten the broken tower brigands at level 5 before - mostly with parties that are more "tank" in nature with a lot of great cleave and combat reflexes.

10. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I've always preferred taking the 'flamethrower' approach to that room. But I've also managed to do it before getting Fireball by using lots and lots of summoned critters.

11. TimSmith

TimSmith Established Member

Personally I have found battlefield control spells work well in the tower. (I like obscuring mist for castrating the archers!) I have beaten these guys with my party at level 3 using this (just).

12. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I tried that in my runthrough last night. I'm houseruling Iron Man. Silence bit a little too hard on me (darned cleric, dr00d and wiz got stuffed on initiative in first turn). Ended up with 2 dead. Party was level 3 except for Elmo and Fruella.

The mist worked well though.

Still ended up with my usual amounts of summouned hordes to get those nasty witches ;)

PS Chester - I know it well. Used to be my old stomping ground as a teenager. The joys of Rosies!

Our Host!