invisibility too powerful?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by relic, Jun 20, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Now it's my turn to be confused :doh:

This was bugging me, so I took the time to research it more thoroughly. Senshock worships Zuggtmoy, and is her chief emissary in the ToEE. Falrinth (who we were discussing in the first place) is secretly a follower of Lolth; the quasit Kriitch is a gift from her. All these damned wizards are confusing. They shoulda made a subplot involving this dynamic, imo.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

So wait... who are we claiming can see invisible PCs? Senshock (guy with elementals near Hedrack) or Falrinth (guy with Orb near Smigmal)?

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I checked the protos files and both wizards have See Invisiblity. Hedrack is a cleric and doesn't have that available. Both wizards usually win the iniative or are very close to it. I think the AI is set that way.

4. relic

relic Established Member

I've always been talking about Senshock. He most DEFINITELY can see invisible characters. I haven't tested Falrinth, but it wouldn't surprise me if Falrinth can see invisible characters too.

Lord Spike is right on as far as Senshock's loyalties. He reports all temple activities directly to Zuggtmoy. I do believe Lord Spike has documented this in other posts. Per the original module, Senshock is supposed to teleport to a "secret retreat" in Verbobonc if the player characters get the upper hand.

Also, I do believe Allyx is playing around w/ his Verbobonc mod. Here's some text directly from the original TOEE module:

[EDITED OUT!] - Allyx, sorry ;)

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Scarlet Brotherhood is in Allyx's mod. How cool would it be if Senshock appeared in Verbobonc? Played correctly, I think Senshock is one bad dude. From a player standpoint, nothing is better than to encounter a diabolical NPC, he escapes, and then he shows up later w/ reinforcements (much like the Hommlet traders).

Allyx, I have no standing to ask this, but if Senshock could somehow show up in Verbobonc after an encounter w/ the player characters, that would be the BOMB. You already have all the elements set up.

Just a suggestion from the hinterlands...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Did you by any chance kill Senshock? or did he suddenly break from combat say something and vanish before combat resumed? If you kill him he can't exactly escape no can he. ;)

Oh, and at the risk of sounding rude, I'm editing your post to remove a spoiler about something I have had planned from my next version of the mod for years, rest assured it will mecome a part of the mod when I get myself settled and in a possition to start modding again. ;)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  6. relic

relic Established Member

No problem, Allyx. It sounds like you're on to something very interesting. I apologize for the overstep.

I pretty much waste Senshock every time (as I imagine most players do). The battle is always entertaining, but the outcome is usually never in doubt. If Senshock could "escape" like certain other temple baddies do...

I've always believed wizards are the most powerful class of characters.

7. Sachmo

Sachmo Knight of the Crown

I hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bag, but I've had Senshock teleport away from me during battle. He ended up in ... [EDIT by Cujo] Yip, you let the cat out of the bag, sorry dude...

Was definately worth letting him live.

8. relic

relic Established Member

Really? Whoa...

My first rule of combat is "Kill all spellcasters."

I wonder: Is that a Troika thing or something Co8 modded in?

[EDIT] Oooops. Sorry. That was so stupid. Obviously Allyx modded that in because Verbobonc was not part of Troika's original game.

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

It's no fun modding a game if everyone posts all the spoilers. ;)

10. Sachmo

Sachmo Knight of the Crown

Sorry, just got caught into the discussion.

11. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

But nobody sees NPCs :suprised:

If you use an NPC to scout, I doubt they will trigger off the vicinity check in the script. That always seems to check for PCs only.

--------------

wizgeorge - yeah, I did some checking over the weekend and noticed that he had that spell too. Does he self-buff with that spell? Forgot to check that.

I can't remember the names of any wizards. Apart from Spugnoir. And that's only because I want to kill him every time I forget the answers to his darned stupid questions. :evil:

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I always scout with an invisible rogue of some sort; but have never sneaked about while invisible. They always got away with it, too. Might have helped that they were all highly dextrous bi-racial elves, fully elven, or halflings, too. Never once got caught that I can recall.

13. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

Having referenced my 3.5 rules, I must admit my error in saying that 'spot' checks are only allowed in certain circumstances. Apparently anyone is able to be alerted to your 'possible' presence and should receive a spot check, albeit with a +20 DC.

Our Host!