invisibility too powerful?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by relic, Jun 20, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. relic

relic Established Member

I have been a LONG time lurker here, but I've never really seen this issue addressed. Is it just me, or does invisibility seem way too powerful, particularly the rings?

I'm an old-school-first-edition AD&D man, and any good DM always kept the rings of invisibility in a campaign to a bare minimum (if at all). The invisibility spell was never that big of a problem because it had a limited duration. But in TOEE, a player w/ a ring of invisibility can basically explore the ENTIRE temple, no problem! Doors open and close, and the bugbears, humans, and other denizens of the temple are none the wiser.

I have noticed the bosses on the nodes will sometimes notice an invisible player, but otherwise, players have carte blanche. Obviously, a player can choose not to use the rings, but this was always something that got under my skin.

I realize none of the modders and sages here can do anything about invisibility, but I was curious if anyone knows exactly how invisibility works in TOEE? Do NPCs just make spot checks or something? For example, if an invisible player character opens a door into a room of bugbears, do the bugbears get bonuses to their spot checks?

On an unrelated note, I have thoroughly enjoyed all the mods. It's added countless hours of playtime to this game. Exemplary job!

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Funny you should mention that, because KotB attempts to make the game more 'playable' in associated areas have not proven that succesful.

Spot checks, on the whole, appear to be counterpointed by hide / move silently checks (sneaking), which is to say, if u try and sneak behind a monster it will make a listen check, but if you just walk past outside its line of sight it will NOT make a listen check. Ridiculous, but a way of conserving performance i guess. So quite possibly with monsters it might make a spot check when you enter the area, fail because you are invisible, and then not make another one because there is nothing to trigger it, and you can just waltz around happily. Try going into sneak mode while invisible and see if there is a difference (and report back here if you don't mind ;) )

As for the doors, it appears there is nothing for the monsters to 'notice' when a door is activated - at least, nothing for us to work with script-wise. Like everything else in the game, the doors have flag arrays that can be checked, but they are not changed by opening and closening, they are set flags to effect what condition the door is in when the map is created (hence when you return to maps, they have returned to their original state - locked or shut or whatever). They do not have a 'memory' or state that we can do before and after checking of, from a monster's point of view, to realise it has just opened.

What we can do (and will be doing in KotB, and maybe eventually in ToEE), is give additional, behind-the-scenes items that increase spot and listen checks for monsters who are meant to b on the alert for some reason, such as the party having sacked a nearby temple or whatever.

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

what about somehting like a pit trap thing but you don't fall in, you alert anyone inside the room that you opened the door.

4. relic

relic Established Member

Thank you for the reply, Ted. I'll try sneaking while invisible and let you know. I do remember Senshock "spotted" my invisible character once, which was quite a surprise (because the rest of my party was not in place)! Although I seem to remember there was no roll in window that tracks the rolls.

Do any of the rules mavens out there know how invisibility is supposed to work per 3.5 guidelines? Specifically, how visible characters spot the invisible? I know back in previous rules various monsters could see invisible characters (i.e. demons, devils, etc.) or had heightened senses like smell or hearing. But I don't think there were any hard, fast rules. It was always the DM's call.

What you're planning to do w/ KotB to increase spot checks sounds very cool, and Cujo's idea about using pit traps seems feasible. I know a lot of people have complained on these boards how a party can tear through the temple, leave to rest for a few days, return, and the temple has done nothing to prepare for a return engagement.

5. relic

relic Established Member

Ted,

Sneaking while invisible makes no difference. I used a fighter in plate mail w/ a Hide value of 1. As long as he was invisible, he could sneak all he wanted and no one could see him. As soon as the ring of invisibility came off, he could be seen.

Interestingly enough, Senshock most definitely can see invisible characters. However, he cannot see a sneaking rogue.

Incidently, I'm running TOEE version 5.03.

6. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I'm pretty certain that some named NPCs are triggered to respond when any player controlled character approaches within a certain distance (which might apply to Senshock). I think (but am very unsure) whether this applies whether you are invisible or not. Does invisibility override this reaction whereas sneak doesn't?

My head hurts now. :drunk:

7. Shiningted

Thats a good question Zeb: Shenshock is working off a standard 'find in vicinity / can see' script, which is different to a monster's KOS thing (which is in the engine) but then, its the same as pretty much every other 'get spotted on approach' script (like the Tower Sentinel, or the guard at Lareth's front door - who by the module should call out the troops to have you murdered for discovering their secret lair - seperate issue) or anyone else who speaks to u when you go near them.

Why Shenshock is different is beyond me :shrug:

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Is it Senshock who has got the little summoned critter? Doesn't that see invis?

Doesn't answer the fundamental question I guess but that's the only answer which I can think of right now.

9. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

... confused.....
    my favorite tactic for Senshok is to inivisi-balize myself and then ring him with invizi-balized pc's and whack him hard.... keeps him from summoning his Gawd...

... be vewy quiet, I'm hunting wizards......:poke:

10. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

I'm going off memory at the moment, as I'm not at home, but I'm sure that 3.5 rules on invisibility are similiar to if not identical to AD&D. Meaning that unless the observer (i.e. monster) has some way to detect you, whether magical ( 'TRUE SEEING' etc..), or mundane (heightened smell e.g.), or you do something that could be detected normally (opening/closing a door, stepping in puddle, etc..) no spot checks are allowed. Listen checks should be as normal in any case, you're invisible not inaudible.
    This may be a simple oversight on the part of the original designers, or they didn't (or couldn't) figure how to implement so many variables. It would probably be difficult to have the monster check, and then what does it do when it doesn't see anything, even though it may hear/smell something. Monsters with average to high intelligence may figure it out, but some may not (cmpletely). It may have been a comprimise of neccessity to go the simpler route, even though it does seem to make invisibiliy stronger than maybe it should be.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You're thinking of Hedrack; thus your confusion. Senshock worships Lolth, and she never makes an appearance. Would that she did...

12. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Senshock detects the invisible wizard, but she shoots him with the S&W.50cal. Hedrack doesn't detect, but dies the same way. Can't summon help or teleport away when you're dead.

13. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

im not quite sure whats so overpowered about being able to explore (but not defeat) the entire temple. Ok, you stole into the temple and got to see Zuggtmoy... but can you kill her? no... if you attack you lose your invisibility so its only a short-lived advantage... oh, and you're level 3 :p you cant really loot anything without causing trouble, and most of the good gear is on the actual monsters... right?

i mean... from a roleplaying standpoint you'd be getting information on the type of enemies youd be encountering, and can gear yourselves towards it... and thats not really that great an advantage :p especially once youve completed the game once ;) heehee

i mean, yes - monsters noticing mysteriously opening doors would be good, but it doesnt exactly seem game-breaking to me :D unless im missing something

14. cyricc

cyricc Member

You can buff Invisibility on all your melee characters, position them around an enemy, and begin the first combat round with a full attack from each. With flanking + invisibility + flatfooted + sneakattack + buffs, just about every boss in the game can be killed in one round or less unless you get unlucky with the attack rolls. IIRC this worked on all bosses with the exception of Senshock, whose script forced combat on approach.

Enemies outside of combat will never detect an invisible character, but entering combat mode (by pressing C) and doing nothing seems to give them their Spot/Listen checks properly, or at least allows them to attack the invisible character.

15. Shiningted

Senshock is surrounded by elementals, quasits etc is he not? Thats probably whats happening, not himself.

Edit: More to the point, for memory the elementals have different factions and attack each other. Since they are set to kill on sight, they may be attacking each other, not the invisible PC: the party automatically get sucked into any combat that happens.

Our Host!