Can't Loot

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by DarkKnight, Apr 14, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Member

Whenever I kill someone, I can't loot thier corpse. For instance, if I go to nulb, then execute otis, or tolub's woman, thier corpse has a blue halo, but when I click nothing happens. However, if I go through the tutorial, I can loot the rat. Kinda strange... Anyways, I applied the TOEE 1.0 patch before I started playing, and the Co8 2 patch just a few minutes ago, and it didn't fix it. Any ideas?

2. Grey

Grey Member

My only thought is:

Make sure you started a new game after installing the patches.

3. Zad

Zad Member

did you ever get the looting problem fixed? i just reinstalled toee to play with the new 2.0 patch and now i can't loot anything.

4. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

i have this problem post patch too.

try hitting the combat button (C) and then hit it again.

then i can move and loot

5. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

i had the same problem, nothing fixed it.. even a reinstall didnt work, untill i uninstalled, deleted everything but the "save" and "players" directories under "modules\ToEE" and then reinstalled and immidiatly applied patch 2 (official). i did not apply patch 1 this time.. maybe it was a problem with patch one, maybe with some carry over files from the Co8 patch, i would likely never know (cause i dont care enough to test it).

6. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

interestingly enough, i think you are on to something there, as i have not had this problem since doing same (but for different reason).

hmm.

7. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

oooh boy... so that new clean install i said... installing the game and then official patch2... all was working... then i install the co8 patch... and now i cannot loot again. I think its a problem between the official patch 2 and the co8 patch (maybe to do with the looting fix or something, i donno just a guess).

Anyways i will post should i find which file it is... but i am not much of a programmer so i am sure someone else will find it first... oh and i am also using the no CD fix.. might have to do with that too (in addition to the co8 patch since it works without).

aah, i cannot recall though, did it start doing that when i installed the co8 fix.. OR when i told it to make the entire ToEE non read only... the problem is that unless i make the directory non read only (the way the installer makes it), then it will NOT save most changes i make to the settings, but if i do, then i cannot loot anymore (that or its caused by the co8 fix)... i dont know anymore... and the fact you cannot command your guys to just pick up whats on the floor really pisses me off too... without looting i can just wait for corpses to disappear, but then not only do i have to pick up things one by one, i cannot pick up any rings (which look like a small circle of blue on the ground when you hold tab, not a dot, so all those dots that show up are NOT rings..)

8. mraschko

mraschko Member

Has this been figured out yet? I hit this last night when I upgraded to Patch 2 & the latest C08 release. I assumed that I'd have to reinstall to get rid of the issue, but I'd prefer to only have to do that once if possible.

9. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Follow sir-toejam's advice. This is not a post patch problem. It has been reported since the start of the game but has an easy workaround as posted.

10. Cr@zy Chuckster

Cr@zy Chuckster Member

I am having the same problem as mentioned above. Could the creators of the CO8 patch see what can be done to fix this in the next release?

I have found that I can loot fine without the patch installed but with it installed I have to hit the c button to do any looting.

11. ValeS

ValeS Member

Jesus what a mess...

Guys I have the same problem... It hit me at the Temple's 3rd level dungeon. I have tried the clean install, with and without the official patch, with or without the co8 modpack 3.0.3 and the combat key mode (pressing the c button)... I even started a new game with pregenerated characters... Any help will be greatly appreciated...

12. Taldren

Taldren Member

This is just too wierd,

I have been playing this game on and off for over six months. The last time I played was about a month ago. I load it up today and blam! Can't loot.

The only updates I have done since I last played were DX9c and I upgraded my ATI drivers to the DOOM3 release ... for obvious reasons.

Maybe just add a loot command?

13. Taldren

Taldren Member

Just keeps getting better ...

I can't open the doors past the ogre on the second level of the moathouse. The 'C' trick doesn't work.

14. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Send me your saves and describe when and how this first happened. Please zip up your saves before sending them. I will bring it to Steve Moret's attention if I find the bug valid.
    Mail the saved files to zhugetx@yahoo.com

15. ValeS

ValeS Member

Hmmmmm...

Taldren I also had DirectX 9.0c installed just before ToEE started behaving like that. Can anybody confirm having DX9c installed and the problem appearing?

Our Host!