Summon via Nature's Ally only lasts a few seconds???

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Blackbelt Jones, May 26, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Blackbelt Jones

Blackbelt Jones Member

Hi,

Using Patch 2/5.04 all clean installs.

Is this a game rule or does something sound wrong? My Ranger casts Summon Nature's Ally (a wolf), and the critter only hangs around for about 30 seconds before he disappears. The ranger is level 6.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Did you install the Co8 5.0.0 MOD before adding the Co8 5.0.4 CMF?

3. Blackbelt Jones

Blackbelt Jones Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did.

Totally clean install, directly in the order suggested. Game + Patch 1 + Patch 2 (reboot); 5.0.0 MOD (reboot); 5.0.4 CMF

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  4. Blackbelt Jones

Blackbelt Jones Member

Update:

For the fun of it, I used the "levelup" command to get him to level 10 to see if that would have any effect... still the same: the summoned creature from Ally I and Ally II last a few seconds and then "Spell expires."

This happens with the Forge Ring "Summoning" ring as well.

Odd stuff.

Update 2:

Tried with the Druid... autoleveled up to 10. The summons seems to last longer than w/ the Ranger, but after about two minutes they disappear, so it seems as if the spell is set on a hard timer.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

May I suggest this should only be cast in combat, otherwise the timer does indeed run out very fast? I only say this becuase the duration is

spell.duration = 1 * spell.caster_level

which is identical to Summon Monster I (and Summon Monster IX, for that matter).

I think these may be combat spells, not "summon Fiendish Dire Mammoth and ride it into a city" spells.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

More specifically that means 6 seconds per caster level (each round is 6 seconds long), which would explain why they don't last long outside of combat situations.

7. Aeroldoth

Aeroldoth Established Member

If you look at the spell duration you will see they only last one round per level. They are only meant for combat, and even then are of short use. The Extend spell metamagic feat may help you with them.

8. Blackbelt Jones

Blackbelt Jones Member

LOL! I totally see your point. And thank you ALL for your responses. :)

I was trying to do a solo character run, and thought it would be neat to amass an army of critters to fight with me. A simple modification to:

...does the trick. Whilst not the proper rule, it is pretty cool running around with two blackbears.

Thanks again Co8 gang!

Our Host!