Prestige class

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Grizzli, May 2, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Did some research. ;) It seems that:

Lvl - Feat
    11 - Diamond Body (Su)- WORKS

12 - Abundant Step (Su)- WORKS WITH THE BELT

13 - Diamond Soul (Ex) - WORKS

15 - Quivering Palm (Su) - NAME ADDED BY Moebius

19 - Empty Body (Su) - NAME ADDED BY Moebius

20 - Perfect Self - NAME ADDED BY Moebius

20 - Better mêlée damage (1d20) - WORKS WITH THE BELT

Hmm... it seems that Hazelnut wanted to add the other feats but
    he's left the forums (last seen in January). What should we do
    wiith the ones that've been added?

2. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

I did want to add all of them to the belt, and at one point thought I could by using the spell properties like staff/wands IIRC (sorry I've forgotten all the lingo) but they work with charges and I couldn't get the one per day to work with the multiple spells. Hence I only implemented abundant step since I could only do a single one. I don't think the others are a huge loss, especially given the lack of challenge in the game for the higher levels anyway.

I think also the lvl 20 melee dmg, which is 2d10 BTW, was fixed by my dll changes to implement the belt features, and doesn't require you to wear the belt. If you do wear the belt then you can do 2d10 dmg by level 15 though! :D

If you want any more info about this, just ask. (and if I've stopped responding here you can always contact me by PM on RPG Codex which I frequent fairly regularly)

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  3. melancthon

melancthon Member

Hey, this is all the info I asked for two weeks ago! Well, I'll sure take this opportunity...
    I for one am in favor of seeing as many monk abilities make it to TOEE as possible. So if you brave geniuses find it in your hearts to implement the following somehow, it would forever expand my love (and the playability of) the game:

lvls 16-19: 2d8 damage (2d6 small);

lvl 20: Damage reduction 10/magic

and possibly

lvl 19: Empty Body allows etherealness 1 round/level/day. In essence, this renders the character invisible and unable to attack or be attacked (except by other ethereal beings). This would actually be great tactically for the monk in-game (and therefore fun).

Quivering Palm is quite the challenge, and in my earlier post I suggested substituting Phantasmal Killer, which shares some similarites, but taking a long hard look, it's just not accurate. Any hypothetical suggestions?

It seems from what yall are saying is that these abilities are best implemented by attaching them to an item, in this case the monk's belt. Is that accurate?

I'd love to hear even how difficult it would be to implement these, and I'm certainly cognizant of the demands of time and effort vs. how many people care...but I sure care!:mrhappy:

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

If we attach them to an item, we can script them: to attach them to a character proper means hacking the program.

5. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

is it possible to apply said item's effects without it being equipped? if yes, is it possible to make the item essentially invisible and give it to starting characters? :Cutlery_T

6. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

This is in as a dll change and has been for ages. (Moebeus IIRC) I fixed the lvl 20 dmg, but the rest was perfect.

I think this could be hacked into the dll the same way Diamond Soul was by Moebeus, but it does seem rather pointless at present since a lvl 20 anything is going to provide rather boring gameplay.

No that's not what I'm saying, not that I've been saying much at all this year.. :grin: I did some dll hacking, and it's hard - requiring much time and dedication (plus complete insanity) Adding abilities/feats that aren't copies of existing ones is almost impossible, and certainly way beyond my abilities / dedication to the cause. Spellslinger has been the best dll hacker for many moons and he may have become such an expert by now that he could do it, possibly. I'm sure he's got higher priority things to do though.

Anyway, to avoid the need for dll changes I decided that I'd add the abilities to the Monk's belt as spells where I could. As I've already said I found (after many, many, oh so many hours of testing) that I could only add one if I wanted a 1/day charge so I opted for Abundant Step.

For more details please take a read of the whole belt thread at http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3831 where all of these issues are discussed.

7. Shiningted

Yes, and yes.

8. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Ah, but without using an mysteriously using inventory slot?

9. maggit

I think we can exploit the inventory bug and just insert the item
    in one of the "invisible" slots that are present in the game.

10. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

What invisible slots? Tell me more... is this something discovered after I went AWOL or was I just being amazingly dumb?

11. maggit

I remember Ted mentioning something about invisible inventory slots,
    sometimes when your character's inventory is full and it gets some
    reward/quest item the item is handed nevertheless. It is "invisible"
    though. Maybe I should have written inaccessible inventory slots...
    Hmm come to think of it, there may be an alternative solution. Some flags
    could be used to make the object invisible but usable (hopefully) in the
    inventory. Perhaps someone with broader knowledge about this stuff
    could expand the idea.

12. Shiningted

I think it was Blue who discovered it: anyways, it is something we are going to have to start doing for all sorts of things.

Basically, Hazelnut, as you may know from looking at ToEEWB, there are about 200 or so inventory slots, but only 20 show on the screen. Hence we get people posting stuff like, "Kelso said he gave me the vial to desecrate the Earth temple but i don't see it..." - their 20 inventory slots were full and it went into an 'off-screen' one.

Hence, if we stick stuff directly into those off-screen slots, we need never see them and they can effectively be 'behind the scenes'. Darmagon has posted a nice and useful 'equip directly to slot' script, albeit that was for the equiped-items slots, not for these. But in theory, it should all be doable.

Alternately, we might try the OIF_NO_DISPLAY flag, which does something similar :) whether it still 'takes up a slot' or not, I don't know.

13. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

200 inventory slots?? Knock me down with a feather!

Nope, I had no idea, and I spent hours faffing around with invisible items etc etc before I decided that I simply had to dll hack for the monks belt. I remember trying all kinds of flags including the one you mentioned - never quite got the correct behavior though. Now seems possible that having inaccessible inventory slots makes for lots of possibilities. :)

14. maggit

Well, dll hacks are a much better solution IMO, though much harder to do.
    This is only a workaround, but a good workaround. ;)

15. circ

circ Member

whats the status on this? browsed some old toee faq with some developer? and found this

Q. Will there be prestige classes?
    A. (T.C. - Greyhawk Chronicles - 1/9) They are on our cool stuff list, meaning we will try to put them in if there is time. The character editor can already support them, so it's really a matter of getting the new class abilities in the game.

Our Host!