ToEE on Windows Vista Compatability Testing & Workarounds

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Agetian, Mar 19, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Dear Circle of Eight members,

This thread should be used to post the results of testing the Temple of Elemental Evil on your copies of Windows Vista, especially (but not necessarily) with the newer graphics hardware such as the NVIDIA GeForce 8xxx series, as well as any workarounds you find to make the game work better. We're not limited to only NVIDIA cards here, but we're also talking about any ATI cards you may have, so don't hesitate to post if you have an ATI card, it'll be interesting to find out how well your card can handle ToEE on Windows Vista!

This thread is ONLY for the results of your testing and any workarounds you find. Please keep all the discussion in the other, non-sticky thread ("ToEE on Windows Vista: Discussion"). Also, please make all your compatibility posts in this thread in the form provided below. Failure to follow these two simple rules will result in your post(s) being deleted without any prior warning.

The compatibility test results & workarounds should be presented in the following form:

Operating System: State your OS revision here (e.g. Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, etc)
    Extra OS Information: State any extra information about your OS that you find relevant; it's especially interesting to see if you have the Aero interface enabled or disabled. This point is optional.
    Video Card: Include all possible information about your video card, including a brand if possible, the amount of video memory, etc. (e.g. NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 512MB; ASUS N6600-TD 256MB, etc.)
    Video Card Drivers Revision: Type in the version number of the graphics drivers installed in your system (e.g. NVIDIA Forceware 93.46)
    Other System Information: State any extra information about your system that you find relevant, e.g. the CPU type, the amount of RAM in your system, etc. E.g. Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2GHz, 1024MB RAM

ToEE Revision: Type in the revision of your ToEE (e.g. Original, Patch 1, Patch 2, Patch 2 + Co8 5.0.0, Patch 3, etc.)

Compatibility Test Result: Unsupported / Ingame / Playable / Supported (see below for a clarification)
    Known workaround(s): Type in any advice that you can give to make the game play better (e.g. if you've found a workaround to solve some of the compatibility problems).
    Extra Notes: Type in any extra notes about the game compatibility here, e.g. what glitches you experience, where the game crashes (if it does crash), and so on.

Compatibility Test Result should be assigned according to the following criteria:
    Unsupported - the game crashes before actually showing the game screen, e.g. at the menu or while playing the intro video, and therefore is completely unplayable.
    Ingame - the game goes ingame (e.g. shows the game map screen), but there are severe glitches that make it difficult or impossible to play (serious graphics corruption, crashes at certain moments in the game, etc.)
    Playable - the game is playable with minor glitches (e.g. minor graphics corruption that doesn't hinder gameplay, etc.)
    Supported - the game plays normally, as on Windows XP and previous operating systems.

Thanks in advance for your reports.
    - Agetian

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  2. Sh0dan

Sh0dan Member

Re: ToEE on Windows Vista Compability Testing & Workarounds

As I stated in a previous post, I was getting graphical corruption in ToEE patch 2 Co8 4.0 for Vista 32bit with Nvidea GFX card. The in game characters models, trees and bushes where flickering and disappearing on and off. I have since updated my graphics drivers to ForceWare 158.18 and all the graphical corruption seems to have stopped. I have not played the game for any length of time yet, but it loads in just fine now. Tried all the graphics setting and screen resolutions and everything appears to be running smoothly.

A working system.

System Specs
    19" Cibox C1905 5ms Wide screen Moniter
    Vista home premium 32bit
    Asus M2V Motherboard
    Generic 550w PSU
    AMD AM2 Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+
    2048 DDR2 800Mhz Memory
    250GB Sata2 Hard Drive
    Asus GeForce EN8800 GTX 768mb

ForceWare Drivers
    Current: 162.22 (Works with toee)
    Previous: 158.24 (Works with toee), 158.18 (Works with toee), 100.65 (Does not work with toee).

Other
    AMD Dual Core Optimisation installed.
    Aero interface (default setting on).

Versions Tested:
    ToEE official official patch 2 + Co8 4.0.0 and Front-End Pro v3.3.
    ToEE official Patch 1 + official patch 2 + Co8 5.0.0 and Front-End.

Notes
    * Left UAC enabled with no problems.
    * Required patch 1 before patch 2 could be applied.
    * Be sure to check the run as administrator box and run in XP SP2 compatibility mode or Front-End will not load.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Operating System
    Windows Vista Home Premium, version 6.0.6000 build 6000

Extra OS Information
    I did not disable the Aero translucent feature of Windows Vista.

Video Card
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 (laptop)

Video driver
    ATI Radeon Xpress 8.332.0.0

Other System Information
    Acer Aspire 5100 laptop
    AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-52
    Processor Speed 1.6GHz
    Front-Side Bus 1600 MHz
    1GB (512MB x 2) DDR2 PC2-5300
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Series
    Video Memory Up to 256MB Shared

ToEE Revision
    ToEE + Patch1 + Patch 2 + Co8 5.0.0 MOD + Co8 5.0.4 CMF

Compatibility Test Result
    Supported

Notes
    - disabled Vista UAC
    - installed ToEE components using 'Run as administrator..'
    - had to install Atari patch1 & patch2

Extra Notes
    - I did not download and did not install any driver updates.
    - I did not set any compatibility mode for launching or running the game.
    - Windows Vista comes with dotNET 3; I did not install any dotNET versions.
    - Bink RAD Video must be installed for Vista to handle BIK video files.
    - I did not change any game options for particles, mouse acceleration, etc; I only made personal preference changes in the game options - when to end a turn, sound levels, etc.
    - Even though the video screen is wide and is displayed at 1280x800x32 at 60 Hz, the ToEE game options lists the video at 800x600x32 at 60 Hz and the ToEE game completely accepts the ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 adapter.
    - I did not change any of the ATI Control Panel settings.

The ToEE game runs properly.

4. Doc

Doc Member

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Ultimate edition
    Extra OS Information:
    Aero on
    Video Card:
    9600 XTG
    Video Card Drivers Revision:
    ATI catalyst 7.6
    Other System Information:
    2x512 mb DUAL RAM
    2500+ Barton
    MSI K7N2 DELTA-ILSR

ToEE Revision:
    Atari patch2 + co8 5.0.0. final

Compatibility Test Result:
    Supported

Extra Notes:
    Only the portrair pack is unworkable, but i found this problem with the WinXP.

5. TonkaElk

TonkaElk Gear Jammer

Here's what I did to get my ToEE to run on Vista.

HP dv 9600 series w/17" 1024x768 screen
    1.5 gig Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 120 gig Fujitsu hard drives (NTFS)
    2 gig DIMM RAM
    nVidia GeForce 8600M GS display adapter (with current updates installed)
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L ATA Device (w/ writable DVDCD- ROM)
    O/S: Windows Vista Home Premium 6000 w/all updates installed and running nominally

1) I un-installed ToEE

2) Performed cleaning procedure outlined by krunch (Note: some folders and files were either inaccessible or did not exist. No matter in the end.This step could possibly be skipped. I dunno.)

3) De-fragged hard drives.

4) Installed Bink video (Note: this is an un-avoidable installation, if ya ain't got it, GET IT)

5) Installed ToEE as per Zeb's instuctions (Question: How do you know if you have the install disk with the patch 3 already on it?)

6) Attempted to launch the game. No joy. Went thru first three splash screens (Atari, can't remember second, then WotCoast then game went back to desktop.

7) Thumped me self on me knoggin cuz I forgot no- cd crack :doh: (This step can be skipped ;) .)

8) Installed no- cd crack program as per Zeb's instructions

9) Attempted to run game. Again, 3 splash then desk-top.

10)Opened C:/Program Files/Atari/ToEE and clicked on a .bik file it ran fine.

11)Tried game again. Again, no luck
    I tried to install patch 2 but got a window that said original file not found, I clicked "ok" and it installed some more files then closed. I tried ToEE again and it still didn't run. So, here is step 12

12)Installed patch 1, then patch 2. (Co8 5.0 and frontend still waiting in the wings)

13) Launched game It WORKED!!!! :clap: Hosana's and great thanx fell from my smiling lips.
    Game ran fine. I took it to the pre-gen charactor screen then closed the game.

14) Installed Co8 5.0 as per intructions. I changed nothing. Left the de-fault settings as they were and noticed that the frontend was included in the installation. Hallaluyah!

15) Made sure that Auto Save was dis-abled on the in game option screen and formed a test group. I went adventuring and died horribly. For those who were just running the game from a disk install without the Co8 program, be prepared to see things you never knew were there.

Thanks for all the help. Tip o' the hat to: Krunch, Half Knight, Zeb, Morpheus and Agetian.

6. Kisshu

Kisshu Member

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium updated Jan 08

Features: disabled windows defender and McCafee and all scheduled scans and defrags

Video Card: Nvidia 8500GT
    Video Card Drivers Revision: updated around Jan 08
    Other System Information: stock Gateway computer quadcore 2 gigs ram

ToEE Revision: ATARI Patch 1 & Patch 2, + Co8 5.0.0 with front-end loader, *portrait and voice pack

Compatibility Test Result: Supported with all executables set to compatability mode windows 2000 xp service pack 2 and run as administrator.

*had a problem with bitzipper unpacking to root ToEE needed to manually merge data files.

1. installed game & set all executables to xp service pack 2 and run as admin
    2. installed atari patch 1 then patch 2
    3. installed co8 5.0 with included front-end loader and optional modules - set all executables in co8 to xp service pack 2 and run as administrator.
    4. loaded game via front end selected module 5.0 then quit game to load portrait voice pack into co8 module.
    5. installed portrait & voice pack.

i keep disabled: windows defender and McCafee and all scheduled scans and defrags - They cause crashes with any games running or visa versa

7. IanChapman

IanChapman Mind Spy

I’m trying to install ToEE on vista. I’ve been trawling all these notice boards for advice and I’ve found a lot of similar problems tried the solutions got my hopes up and dashed a few times. Let me describe my experiences.

On the first attempt I installed the game and at the end of installation (hear is where my problem seems to differ) on being given the option to launch ToEE I left it ticked and happily created a party and started the game. I didn’t play long because I’d found all three official patches (at the time I’d never heard of The Circle of Eight – now that I have I think they’re awesome) and intended to install them. After installing them I experienced the common problem where I get Atari screen, developer screen, blue load bar then back to desktop.

I’d read somewhere that lowering the resolution to 600 x 400 (or whatever) might work. So I did that – no luck. I uninstalled, reinstalled this time had a longer play after the initial launch but the game crashed after fully exploring the first village. Forced back to the desktop I installed all 3 patches. Same problem, 3-4 screens then back to desktop.

Then I found “Comprehensive ToEE Installation Instructions by Zebedee” I followed those to the letter this time I unticked ‘launch ToEE’ and ‘create desktop icon’ inorder to complete the instructions. However when I come to run the front end ToEE I get the “0002:ERROR: One of the game folders can’t be accessed…”

I read on this forum the problem might be caused by anti-virus software I have a new version of McAfee installed. I’m going to disable it and try again but I thought I’d post this first as you expressed an interest in what happens with vista. Thank you for all your work and any advice you might have.

Ps If you need any additional information I’ll happily try to find it. I should mention my graphics card, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 256MB

8. IanChapman

IanChapman Mind Spy

My bad :suprised:. I posted a question under the answer. Just to let you know it worked. It might help to point out that to disable my version of McAfee I had to go to task manager and close it from the processes tab. It was the one that started mc... Also I wasn't sure how to set the executables to xp service pack 2 and run as administrator. Turns out you can just right-click-properties the icons after installing and do it from the compatibility tab.

Many thanks to you all for your hard work and for providing extra gaming. I'm going to get stuck in now :peace:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  9. Hordak

Hordak Member

Windows vista ultimate 64

intel core2quad cpu q6600, 2.40GHz

4,00 GB

Nvidia geforce 7300

and Mcafee, but this is turned on full protection

I had a hell of a time trying to get the mod pack5 to work, but finally got it.
    I installed in this order: ToEE - Patch1 - patch2 - and the co8 mod 5.

Then it kept giving me the error 0002- one of the gamefolders can't be accessed.

I right clicked on the Toeefe shortcut and chose run as administrator.

And it Works! :doublethu

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  10. Smythers00

Smythers00 Member

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Extra OS Information: Nothing special really.

Video Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
    Adapter Type Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, Intel Corporation compatible
    Adapter Description Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
    Adapter RAM 224.00 MB (234,881,024 bytes)

Video Card Drivers Revision:

Installed Drivers igdumd32.dll
    Driver Version Not Available
    INF File oem22.inf (i945G0 section)
    Color Planes Not Available
    Color Table Entries 4294967296
    Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz
    Bits/Pixel 32
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd32.sys (7.14.10.1147, 1.41 MB (1,476,608 bytes), 12/12/2006 9:49 AM)

Other System Information: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz, 2994 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. CF94510J.15A.0038.2007.0226.1646, 26/02/2007

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB

ToEE Revision:
    Original, Patch 1, Patch 2, Co8 5.0.0, CMF Patch - so now it’s 5.0.6

Compatibility Test Result: My Vista O/S = Supported
    My On-Board Graphics Card = Playable (very minor glitches)

Known workaround(s): I changed the following Properties settings on the front end icon

On the Compatibility Tab
    - Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 2
    - Run as an Administrator

On the Shortcut Tab (click the Advanced button)
    - Run as an Administrator

Extra Notes:
    On a few occasions, my graphics card will act up in game. Here are some of the issues I’ve encountered.

Hommlet Issue: I would have my party rest on the upper level of the Inn in Hommlet, when they went back downstairs, the image of the main floor would be corrupted, constantly changing from black, to brown to grey in solid triangular shapes which seems to be a light flickering pattern which would normally have appeared. The entrance and exit icons are all intact, so I can exit that scene, when I come back, it is normal. I believe this is probably an Open GL glitch with my on-board video card.

I will edit with more info as it comes up.

11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I have that problem occasionally. In other places too. I just continue on with the game.

12. doa12

doa12 Member

I am running Vista, and had issues with the tilde key not bringing up the console.

Here is the method I used to fix it:
    Device Manager
    Open the "Human Interface Devices"
    Right click on the "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver"
    'Update Driver Software'
    'Browse my computer for driver software'
    'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'
    'Infrared HID Device'
    'Ok'
    'Close'

Once I did that, the tilde worked again. I was able to go back through the same steps and turn the 'Infrared HID Device' back to 'Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver' and it STILL worked ok.

I also changed the 'Microsoft eHome MICR 109 Keyboard' to a generic HID device, but that didn't have any affect on the situation.

Oh, I and still have UAC enabled. I didn't have to disable it for any of the steps although going into Device Manager it prompted for authorization as it should.

13. Beandip

Beandip Member

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) with SP1

Extra OS Information: Aero enabled.

Video Card: BFG Geforce GTX260 896mb

Video Card Drivers Revision: NVIDIA 182.08_geforce_winvista_32bit_english_whql

Other System Information: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00Ghz, 4GB ram

ToEE Revision: Patch 2 + Co8 5.5.0 BETA

Compatibility Test Result: Unsupported - Tried everything, downloaded/installed/disabled/enabled/configured etc everything everyone else has tried.

PLEASE find a cure for this devastating ailment to vista users, I dearly love this game and would gladly offer help in testing fixes and workarounds if anyone has the skill to develop them.

14. ben34

ben34 Member

windows vista home premium sp1
    64 bit OS
    Nividia GeForce 9800 GT 1Ghz
    I am trying to install the latest Co8 5.5.0 and it does after all the steps but crashes intantly durring startup it flashes the basement sceen and then crashes to desktop! I am able to load it on XP just fine but now I have a new OS and computer with 8 gigs of ram so I can afford to run vista if there is any hope please let me know thank you.

15. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Try right clicking on the icon and click run in administrator mode

Our Host!