Known Files and What They Do

Discussion in 'Negative Energy Plane' started by Mr. Underhill, Sep 25, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Mr. Underhill

Mr. Underhill The Keeper of the Arcane Toiletries

I think we should compile a list of files and what is known about them. This could be useful when looking for a specific file that has already been found by someone else. We should also include files of importance they may reference or be referenced by.

Should be ordered: file // use // location defualt is ToEE3.dat/ unless specified differently.

Known Files/Use Confirmed

*.tabs

-proto.tab // it's the main dictionary for Weapons,armor, items, monsters, NPCs, etc. // rules/
    -help.tab // In game help, for in depth info go here // mes/
    -traps.tab // trap properties and damages // rules/
    -strategy.tab // different tactics taken by NPCs during encounters , unknown how each action is weighted // rules/
    -partsys0.tab // particle system properties , animations and effects for Objects // rules/
    -partsys1.tab // particle system properties , animations and effects for Spells // rules/
    -partsys2.tab // particle system properties ,animations and effects for Monsters // rules/
    -levelup.tab // list of skills , feats and spells NPC party members "choose" when leveling // rules/
    -jumppoint.tab // for the return trip. If you're set to come out of whichever door, your party spawns at or around the x, y coords on the map. 2nd last number is x, counting southwest, last number is y, counting southeast. 0, 0 is the theoretical top center of the map. // rules/
    -feat.tab // enumeration of all feats in game // rules/

*.mes

-InvenSource.mes // Shop inventories And item drop lists for Npc's now works after commenting see here // rules/
    -InvenSourceBuy.mes // Items shop keepers will buy. // rules/
    -start_equipment.mes // items PC's start game with by class // rules/
    -pc_start.py // weapon PC's start game with, concerning proficiencies and weapon focus // scr/
    -gamequestlog.mes // deals with quests and their log descriptions // mes/
    -spells_radial_menu_options.mes // Edits the spell radial menu for spells with multple choices ie., Blindness/Deafness or Summon Monster 1-5 // mes/
    -addmesh.mes // enumeration and location of meshes for armor , clothing , headware etc.. // rules/
    -ai_params.mes // enumeration of NPC AI reactions , the associated values pertaining to each NPC is probably contained in protos.tab // rules/
    -combat_vars.mes // only contains an experience multiplier value // rules/
    -diety.mes // lists of worshipable dieties // rules/
    -effect.mes // not implemented. Was probably a holder for spell/poison effects that changed stats,skills etc.. // rules/
    -Feat_enum.mes // lists feat names as used by game engine // rules/
    -intgame_select.mes // color value of highlighting used for selecting i.e. the red colored selector cone for the spell CONE OF COLD // rules/
    -item_creation // lists all items that can be PC created i.e. scrolls potions etc.. and their parameters // rules/
    -MapList.mes // Contains a list of valid maps for game & Starting X/Y position (useful for teleporting) // toee.dat/rules
    -worldmap_locations_names_text.mes // Contains the text that is displayed on the world map for the different locations // rules
    -map_names.mes // Contains the text that is displayed in the menu for all locations // rules
    -maplimits.mes // Contains the absolute size (in pixel) for every map in game. But there must be some scaling included, because the relative coordinates in MapList.mes are outside the boundries of maplimits.mes. // rules
    -toee1.dat/art/interface // where all the interface art is .... What others might not know is that it's also where the inventory pics (and mappings to internal names/key) are stored // ToEE1.dat
    -toee1.dat/art/meshes // is where the 3d textures are for just about everything. // ToEE.dat

Known Files/Use Unconfirmed

*.mes

-backgrnd.mes // I think this is not implemented , looks like you could chose "background stories" and they would be used to help determine abilities and traits // rules/
    -BroadcastRules.mes // internal messaging system ? // rules/
    -daylight.mes // lists the RGB values for color of daylight , probably correlates to different map areas and times and designates change from on value to another, Controled lighting in different hours per day in Arcanum // rules
    -gamelevel.mes // not implemented ? only has one entry . Used to hardcode level advancement stats for NPCs // rules/
    -gamequest.mes // unknown // rules/
    -gamerep.mes // lists reputation effects , unknown how implemented // rules/
    -hair.mes // not implemented? // rules/

Feel free to add to this. I'll edit this with your additions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2019
  2. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

Sure we'll add but you have to edit your original post, so we don't have to chase through the entire thread

toee3.dat/rules/proto.tab is pretty huge... (it's the main dictionary for Weapons,armor, items, monsters, NPCs, etc.)

toee1.dat/art/interface is where all the interface art is .... What others might not know is that it's also where the inventory pics (and mappings to internal names/key) are stored

toee1.dat/art/meshes is where the 3d textures are for just about everything.

more later. I think I might actually Fire up Toee and play a little... My characters are only level three. :)

3. Mr. Underhill

bump...I'll edit this and keep it up to date...Sticky Me please!

4. Kentamanos

Kentamanos Member

Since you're editing, add this info (help file):

add this

Good idea for a thread...

5. Mr. Underhill

-Kentamanos
    Done...heh thanks I thought is was a good idea too. ;)

6. Heave

Heave Member

spells_radial_menu_options.mes

data\mes\spells_radial_menu_options.mes -> found in toee3.dat

Oddly enough it sets the radial menu choices for spells

as such

original
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; summon nature's ally 1
    {2000} {3} ; number of monsters to select from in this spell
    {2001} {14056}
    {2002} {14385}
    {2003} {14050}

modded
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; summon nature's ally 1
    {2000} {4} ; number of monsters to select from in this spell
    {2001} {14056}
    {2002} {14385}
    {2003} {14050}
    {2004} {14244} ; a juggernaut

7. indio

indio Member Veteran

Temple of Elemental Evil\rules

_incomplete will be updated

*.tab files are structured like a basically spreadsheet

* traps.tab = trap properties and damages

* strategy.tab = different tactics taken by NPCs during encounters , unknown how each action is weighted

* protos.tab = database of all in-game objects

* partsys0.tab = particle system properties , animations and effects for Objects

* partsys1.tab = particle system properties , animations and effects for Spells

* partsys2.tab = particle system properties ,animations and effects for Monsters

* levelup.tab = list of skills , feats and spells NPC party members "choose" when leveling

* jumppoint.tab = lists the world coordinates of all map "jumppoints" i.e. entrances and exits , stairs etc..

* feat.tab = enumeration of all feats in game

* addmesh.mes = enumeration and location of meshes for armor , clothing , headware etc..

* ai_params.mes = enumeration of NPC AI reactions , the associated values pertaining to each NPC is probably contained in protos.tab

* backgrnd.mes = I think this is not implemented , looks like you could chose "background stories" and they would be used to help determine abilities and traits

* BroadcastRules.mes = internal messaging system ?

* combat_vars.mes = only contains an experience multiplier value.

* daylight.mes = lists the RGB values for color of daylight , probably correlates to different map areas and times and designates change from on value to another.

* diety.mes = lists of worshipable dieties

* effect.mes = not implemented. Was probably a holder for spell/poison effects that changed stats,skills etc..

* Feat_enum.mes = lists feat names as used by game engine

* gamelevel.mes = not implemented ? only has one entry . Used to hardcode level advancement stats for NPCs

* gamequest.mes = uNKNOWN

* gamerep.mes = lists reputation effects , unknown how implemented

* hair.mes = not implemented ?

* intgame_select.mes = color value of highlighting used for selecting i.e. the red colored selector cone for the spell CONE OF COLD

* InvenSource.mes = listing of products found in each NPC store, usage instructions found inside file

* InvenSourceBuy.mes = value that determines what a NPC store will buy

* item_creation = lists all items that can be PC created i.e. scrolls potions etc.. and their parameters.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  8. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

I wonder which one allows us to change the loot settings for the NPCs.

9. Vaevictis666

Vaevictis666 Established Member

jumppoint.tab is just for the return trip. If you're set to come out of whichever door, your party spawns at or around the x, y coords on the map. 2nd last number is x, counting southwest, last number is y, counting southeast. 0, 0 is the theoretical top center of the map.

10. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

Ask and you shall receive...

InvenSource.mes Inventory drop list for NPC/Monsters
    xp_critter.mes XP awards per CR
    xp_level.mes XP requirements for each level

11. Mr. Underhill

InvenSource.mes does contain the inventory drop list but I've tried editing it, but it has no effect in game. It also contains the shop inventories.

12. -InvenSource.mes // thought to be related to shop inventories? // rules/

In Arcanum what shopkeepers would sell.

-InvenSourceBuy.mes // Types of shops? // rules/

In Arcanum what shopkeepers would buy.

-backgrnd.mes // I think this is not implemented , looks like you could chose "background stories" and they would be used to help determine abilities and traits // rules/

Must be a leftover from Arcanum .It must not be used here.

-BroadcastRules.mes // internal messaging system ? // rules/

In Arcanum in was used for multiplayer so no use here.

-daylight.mes // lists the RGB values for color of daylight , probably correlates to different map areas and times and designates change from on value to another // rules

Controled lighting in different hours per day in Arcanum.

-gamelevel.mes // not implemented ? only has one entry . Used to hardcode level advancement stats for NPCs // rules/

Was used in Arcanum to determine next level.

-gamequest.mes // unknown // rules/

A most shitty way to implement quests in Arcanum.
    Troika minimally used it themshelves.

-gamerep.mes // lists reputation effects , unknown how implemented // rules/

It is like a matrix.
    + or - reaction to other factions.
    Not exactly cannot remember right now.
    There must be another file that lists factions .

-hair.mes // not implemented? // rules/

13. Ares

Ares Member

Here are some more files :

-MapList.mes // Contains a list of valid maps for game & Starting X/Y position (useful for teleporting) // toee.dat/rules

-worldmap_locations_names_text.mes // Contains the text that is displayed on the world map for the different locations // rules

-map_names.mes // Contains the text that is displayed in the menu for all locations // rules

-maplimits.mes // Contains the absolute size (in pixel) for every map in game. But there must be some scaling included, because the relative coordinates in MapList.mes are outside the boundries of maplimits.mes. // rules

There are several more files involved, but I think this are the most important.

~Ares

Our Host!