ToEE on Windows Vista: Discussion

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by TitusCrow, Mar 7, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. TitusCrow

TitusCrow Member

Re: Windows Vista ToEE issues & solutions

good news ! i got the NWN2 version of the temple working - when it says its 12% done i think it maye be more ile 7% - still whats there looks great. homlet the mote house and a few areas.. very light as yet on the story quests and also.. the giant crayfish has gone missing! - as well as the bandits in the tower uper lvl the giant tic and lareth andhenchmen downstairs.

this said the map is very acurate and me and 3 other friends had a blast going through it tonight empty areas and all.
    wish i could go back and play the pro version now "mumbles unhappily"

2. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I've unstickied this thread because it has clearly became something else than I thought it would be. Please continue all the discussion on Vista and ToEE in this thread, while the compatibility testing results should be posted in a new sticky in the form that's given there.

- Agetian

3. Angus MacBaine

Angus MacBaine Member

My system is : Athlon 64+, 4200 dual core processor, 1024 mb ram, nvidia geforce 6150le.
    I had a perfect install. I ran the tutorial to make sure it would work. On my xp comp it would freeze on the last scene before updating with the atari patch. Anyway, when I tried to run it again I get as far as the loading screen with the blue bar and then toee quits and I go back to the desktop. I guess Ill try and reinstall under xp. I'll let you know what happens.

4. Sh0dan

Sh0dan Member

Just an update on the TOEE compatibility issues with windows Vista and the 8800 series gfx cards.

Nvidea have recently updated their ForceWare graphics drivers to version 158.18, and the game now runs smoothly without any graphical corruption. I haven’t tested the game for any length of time yet, but it does look solid, from loading in my saved games.

Finally I can DL the latest CO8. :Crazy_Tig

5. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Great news, Sh0dan! :)
    Can someone else try this, maybe on a little different PC configuration, and report the test results in an appropriate thread?

- Agetian

6. TitusCrow

TitusCrow Member

my god this sounds like it might work on my pc again - im on it and will report back with my findings as i have a dual core its a slightly different config so it will be interesting to see if this makes a difference ( christ i hope not

7. Winkle

Winkle Member

Just tried running TOEE w/front end on my vista computer. It doesn't work. Tried running regular TOEE. It doesn't work. I tried them both w/ xp compatibility (as suggested in the thread)--they still don't work. (When I click TOFFEE, it says application being used or something; when I click TOEE, the computer just pretends it's running something but isn't.

I was wondering if there were any updates on this problem.

Thanks.

8. havocmom

havocmom Member

ToEE installed just fine and the 5.0.0 patch was no problem. I have Windows Vista on a Dell with a Duo-Core processor and an NVidia 7300 graphics card. 5.0.0 made the game competely functional, so thank you for that. I attempted to patch to 5.0.4 and so far the computer is telling me I don't have the authorization to add files? Has anyone else seen this?

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Try "Run as administrator" and give yourself permission. Vista's security arrangements force you to click permission on 2 to 4 pop-ups every time you mess with a file. Good thing I'm a father and a teacher (and have done government work), my patience has been equal to the task(s). Further comments would not be suitable for this forum...

10. TonkaElk

TonkaElk Gear Jammer

Ok, I am here after searching for this thread.
    I have installed ToEE on a new laptop w/ nVidia vid drivers. I have not installed patch 2 or 3 yet. I read somewhere else about something called "Bink RAD video". What is that? Where Can I get it? If you have any questions of me (OS, computer type, etc.) just search my name, you will find a posting listing my specifics. Wish me luck, I am going to install patch 2 RIGHT NOW! :)

11. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Bink is the programme which the game uses to play cut-scenes and the intro. You shouldn't have to worry about installing that. You can download a version of it if you google for it and use it to play the cut-scenes etc outside of the game but other than that, don't worry about it.

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I have Windows Vista on a laptop.
    - Windows Vista Home Premium, version 6.0.6000 build 6000

fyi - I had to install the Bink RAD Video on my laptop with Vista. (not optional)

download The RAD Video Tools
    Notice it does not have Vista listed, but it works on Vista. Well, it worked for the Vista on my computer.

Video Card and Driver
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 (laptop)
    ATI Radeon Xpress 8.332.0.0

information regarding Vista on my computer and the ToEE game
    Notes
    - disabled Vista UAC
    - installed ToEE components using 'Run as administrator..'
    - had to install Atari patch1 & patch2

Extra Notes
    - I did not download and did not install any driver updates. (no Vista updates)
    - I did not set any compatibility mode for launching or running the game.
    - Windows Vista comes with dotNET 3; I did not install any dotNET versions.
    - Bink RAD Video must be installed for Vista to handle BIK video files.
    - I did not change any game options for particles, mouse acceleration, etc; I only made personal preference changes in the game options - when to end a turn, sound levels, etc.
    - Even though the video screen is wide and is displayed at 1280x800x32 at 60 Hz, the ToEE game options lists the video at 800x600x32 at 60 Hz and the ToEE game completely accepts the ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 adapter.
    - I did not change any of the ATI Control Panel settings.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  13. TonkaElk

TonkaElk Gear Jammer

I use large fonts cuz I am going blind. lol.

To Bink or not to Bink, that is the question. :dizzy: Will Krunch and Zeb duke it out?

Also, another pops into my previously empty head, do I really need the Toffee?

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

You, normally, should not have to install the Bink RAD Tools as Zeb mentioned. However, there are many new things, possible headaches and stumbling blocks when it comes to Vista.

I bought a laptop for the sole purpose of trying an installation of ToEE on Windows Vista. I spent a month figuring out what laptop to buy. It had Vista Home Premium pre-installed on it. For Vista to know what to do with the intro cinematic movie and be able to run it during the start of the game, I had to install the Bink RAD Tools on my laptop with Vista. (Had I not installed the Bink RAD Tools, the game would not have started.)

To answer your question, yes, install and use the front end for the ToEE game.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  15. TonkaElk

TonkaElk Gear Jammer

I am preparing to hit the road this morning. I read Zeb's installation guide. Plus copied and pasted to Word so I can do this without the great info found here.Last question, when do I install Toffee? It seems as if Zeb meant to install after installing Co8 5.0.After step 5 Zeb goes on to installing a BETA mod (step 6). Thats where I found the first mention of Toffee. Thats why I assume Toffee gets installed after Co8 5.0. Right now, I am not ready to install any BETA mods until I get my game up and running. Thanx...TE :)

Our Host!