Unable to copy scrolls for multi class wizard

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by windmillcrusadeR, Mar 7, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

i'd ran into this before and blew it off. I have a new solo character that started first level as a rogue. she now has two (and then third) levels as a wizard.
    the first time i tried to copy any spells i got failures for all the arcane scrolls (of first level) she bought from Burne.

I saved the game prior and tried again. still all first level arcane spells are "failure" to copy to spell book.

I applied the level up (she had enough xps to go up) and tried copying the scrolls while she was 3rd level wizard. Failures again each spell i tried.

I had the character rest in between attemps, changed rooms and then tried again with each attempt.

I'm not sure what to do now?

Any suggestions?

2. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

You know there's Spellcraft checks involved in this, right? You should be able to check both the DC and your overall modifiers in the rolls window. Since you're multiclassed and didn't start out as a wizard, I'm guessing you don't have a lot of ranks of Spellcraft. The DC to learn a first level spell is 16, so if you're only operating at a +2 or so on that check it's not that freakish to fail it a few times in a row.

Note also that Spellcraft is a trained-only skill. That means if you have no ranks in it at all, you automatically fail, at least by the PnP RAW. That could be the problem, I suppose.

If that doesn't explain it, check the rolls window. I've seen freakish (p<.00001) runs of skill checks that looked as if I were rolling a d6 rather than a d20; the random number generator just seems to get "stuck" sometimes. I'd suggest rebooting the computer if that's happening.

3. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

Dope! I didn't realize that the spellcraft was worth anything unless you were attempting to make something.
    it makes sense. duh, i didn't realize that.

that was the problem cuz she can make stuff now.

Our Host!