Looking for good party construction

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Takkun9019, Mar 2, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Im looking for a good party build for the hack and slash type of person and any mod character info would be nice thank you! :mrhappy:

2. ardee83

ardee83 Member

I roll with a Fighter, a Barbarian, a Cleric, a Bard, and a Sorc. I chose the sorc over the wizard for ease of use. Very effective though, bard does lot of CC and the sorc does lots of AE dps.

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

you use magic?

you want to avoid magic like the plague and play with a fighter, cleric (don't worry about memorising his spells), barbarian, ranger and a rogue for those pesky locks and social skills.

4. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

I am running a Barb, Ranger, Cleric, Druid, Rogue, Wizard, and a Sorcerer.

I literally stomped all over Emery Fields at level 2.

Did the Moat House with level 2~3.

And entered the Temple at level 4.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I like;
    Half-Orc Barbarian, (weapon focus Great Axe)
    Human Fighter, (for the extra feat at creation)
    Half-Elf Ranger, (Quick Draw Feat)
    Dwarvin Cleric, (cause Dwarves rule)
    Halfling Rouge, (high DEX, weapon focus shortbow)
    Open spot for whomever I meet in game and want's to tag along

6. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

My recent party was as follows:

Dwarven Cleric of Heironeous. War domain for weapon focus, and law domain for crafting. Uses the holy longsword gained by marrying Meleny.

Human Bard. Face man. Grabs mostly enchantment spells, along with focus and greater focus in the school. Uses a showtbow. This guy marries Meleny.

Human Wizard generalist. The big gun arcanist. Scribes scrolls of various spells to improve staying power. In big fights, the key is to use glitterdust, invisibility sphere or greater invisibility on the next character, along with whatever other battlefield controls you like (web and grease are both good). This character also crafts.

Human Rogue/Fighter archer. The first fighter level is for longbows and a feat (rapid shot). You could take more, but I'd probably only recommend it if you have skills to burn. This character is a killing machine.

Human cleric of Pelor. Good domain for crafting, sun domain for greater turning. This is the secondary tank.

I also picked up Meleny, for the holy sword, an extra crafter, and because her dialogue is cute.

I don't know exactly what you were going for, but this party worked out great. You have double healing (plus bits from the bard and druid if you want), and access to most crafting. The clerics are both competent tanks, and at later levels, can use divine power to turn into fighters for the really hard battles (and righteous might to be better than fighters). The archer is devastating. The bard makes everyone better, and occasionally destroys people with his enchantments (especially sleep at low levels). And Meleny can turn into a bear at later levels (and summon one, too), and has some useful spells.

It might be too easy, though. And if you wanted to avoid magic, this isn't the party with which to do so.

7. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I usually go for a pretty all-around build:

Human Fighter (Greatsword Focus. Pretty much the party powerhouse. Later dual-classes to Barbarian for the Rage.)
    Elven Rogue (Can't go wrong with that. His Elven traits compliment his Rogue abilities. Plus, he's a good dual-wielding fighter with light weapons and Weapon Finesse.)
    Elven Ranger (Archery build. He'd be a lot better if there were magical arrows in the game. As it is, he's so-so. Sometimes I give him a sword and a shield, and put him on the front lines for the bigger enemies.)
    Human Cleric of Heironess, War and Good domains (One part healing magic, one part Craft Wonderous Item/Craft Magical Arms & Armor. Also works well on the front lines with heavy armor and a good shield.)
    Elven Wizard (Specializing in Evocation, he's the one that makes stuff go boom. He's also the second half of the Craft Wonderous Item/Craft Magical Arms & Armor team.)

I don't use any NPC's. It only diminishes the XP pool for everyone else.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  8. Thanks for the ideas really helpful. now i can cut down thos dificult quests. :chainsaw:

9. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

i use a pretty simple group that works for me

fighter ( 1/2 orc or human)
    barbarian ( 1/2orc or human)
    cleric of pelor ( dwarf)
    wizard (elf)
    bard/ranger (1/2 elf)

and pick up meleny for my druid

i find this combo gives me lots of spell power and healing power with the bard/ranger providing a lil back up spell wise and the songs come in handy. the bard/ranger i also use in the back field to prtect my wiz and meleny agianst anyone that wants to run past the front group and she is really good at it. also makes a perfect leader to talk to everyone in the game. the only reason i use a bard over a rouge is personal preference.

10. Ragnon Goblingutter

Ragnon Goblingutter Priest of Moradin

My favorite party consists of characters I created for myself in PnP D&D.
    Party leader/negotiator human bard married to
    Meleny NPC human druid (and wondrous item crafter),
    dwarven cleric/arms and weapons crafter (named Ragnon Goblingutter, as a matter of fact),
    dwarven fighter/barbarian,
    a sober Elmo NPC human fighter,
    half-elf wizard/wand crafter,
    gnome rogue (I'd have used a halfling for the Dex bonus, but that's not the character my daughter created).
    Just marry Meleny early, so she can level up with the group, and get Elmo sober. That bunch can rock.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

how can you have a hack and slash party with spell casters? wouldn't that make it more of a hack and flash styled party?

ToEE's made so you can get away with having a party which is all muscle although having a face man and a theif is helpful which is where your rogue comes in and they don't totally suck at melee. you don't even need healing spells, just drink a few of those blue potions you find lying around if you're not feeling 100%.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I agree with Cujo, a mage in the party isn't a hack n slash party. The one good use for Bugbears is they usually have potions on them, you just have to plan your attack to take them out before they use them, gang up on each one then attacks of oportunity. :)

13. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

The four traditional roles, or as I call them (as someone who usually DMs, i.e. plays the monsters) the "four basic food groups", are fighter, rogue, cleric and wizard; basically, someone who can fight; someone who can deal with locks, traps and non-hostile NPCs; someone who can heal; and someone who can blast. The named classes are probably the best at each of those roles. You can substitute a barbarian, paladin or maybe a ranger for the fighter; a sorcerer or maybe a druid for the wizard; but it's hard to be successful without a rogue or cleric. The first role, the guy who fights, is the least essential yet the most useful to have more than one of; the next-best choice for a fifth character is a bard, a class that dabbles in all four roles and has abilities that make the rest of the party better, yet has few ways to shine on its own. My vote for the least effective class all around goes to the monk if you're using point-buy, the paladin if you're rolling.

Actually, perhaps the most effective character in the frontline fighter role is a multiclassed fighter/barbarian, either human or taking fighter for their first character level despite the barbie's extra hit points and skill points (so you can start with Cleave). Take a high Strength and a two-handed weapon, shields are for wimps.

That's if by hack-and-slash you just mean focussing on combat. If you mean it in the narrower way some people in this thread are using it, then I suggest going multiclassed enough to at least get some Sneak Attack and some clerical buffs (and healing) for one character each. Otherwise focus most of your party on the fighter and barbarian classes with maybe an archery-oriented fighter/ranger in there.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

you know I would've called those 4 groups tank, thief, healer and mage. Tanls being classes with the highest base attack bonus, thieves being rogues or bards, healers being clerics or druids and mages being wizards and sorcerers. other classes can sub in for other slots, for example you could get away with a bard as a mage or a monk as a tank. In a balanced party you'd want one of each and posibley a woodys character (someone with survival as a class skill - barbarian, druid, ranger) and someone with high socal skills as your party leader. This would be most likely be a rogue or bard, but a cleric with trickery domain, a paladin, a monk or a sorcerer make ok party leaders.

but then ToEE was made for dnd noobs and every party set up works.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
Our Host!