Suddenly, a new error on start-up...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by OnusBone, Oct 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

Dope!
    ignore that last comment about searching.

I guess i got my web sites mixed up.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

-> Character Editor <- click there

1. make character in toee, do not add to a party yet and exit toee
    2. edit the character using Ferros' character editor and exit character editor
    3. start toee, make a party and add the new and edited character

3. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

Ok, I tried everything listed, but to no avail.

I am also having problems running other games on the same PC - I truly do think it is the intregrated graphics chip.

I want to thank everyone for their input, advice, and help.

Looks like integrated graphic chips are not good for gaming ;)

I'm going to install a graphics card, and see how that goes.

4. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

Hmmm, now I'm getting this error too, in my case it's "0002: Blah blah blah..." which is odd, since it ToEE worked just fine before christmas, and I haven't installed anything new since.

Anyway, I've tried all the advice you guys have given here, on three different clean (ie, format harddrive, reinstall windows) installs, and yet it persists. The only "security" programs that I have, are Zone Alarm and AVG Antivirus, the same programs I've had for the last two years (in which ToEE has worked just fine).

Any idea why this happens? Holiday blues perhaps?

::edit::

I should clarify: ToEE works just fine, but the front-end doesn't.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  5. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Holiday blues or a security update of the program
    control component which does not let Front-End
    access ToEE folders.

6. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

Any idea of what else I could do to solve this? I really wanna play, y'know :)

7. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Well, I play without using front-end. I just rename data.co8 to data and
    co8.5.0.0 present in the modules directory to toee as well as change
    co8.dat to toee.dat and viola!

8. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

It could be some kind of security program not letting the FE use your game folders. I'm not sure which one exactly. I've seen Norton AV corrupt a ToEE+ToEEFE installation by locking certain ToEE folders and files altogether, thus making the front-end go into an infinite 0002 loop upon every startup, so Norton AV and ToEEFE really just don't go together I believe. (This happened only once though) I'm not sure about AVG and Zone Alarm. I do have AVG installed but I only fire it up if I need to test something. Never had any experience with Zone Alarm so I wouldn't know.

Either try disabling all security components and running the game (at least to see if it's gonna help), or consider playing without the front-end.

My own statistics show that 99% of problems happen for people who have security software running in the background in scanning mode. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do here since I can't prevent those programs from locking up important ToEE files and folders (which need to be moved in order to set up the game module structure).

- Agetian

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Run a FULL antivirus scan on ALL files. (Maybe it is infected?)

Try launching the game in ToEEFE. After it crashes, check the Application log in the event viewer. Also, check the Zone Alarm log files for actions it has performed and see if there is a relative log entry in AVG.

hmm - Download and reinstall the full version of dotNET 2 (x86)?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  10. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

@Agetian: I using ToEE on a completely clean drive, installing only the latest video drivers and such + dotnet 2, and it still gave me that funky error, so I'm not that sure it's my security software. Also, I've tried closing the programs down, and then going into the taskmanager to manually kill the processes, but still no luck.

@Krunch: Hmmm, I think mine is about as up to date as it gets, but maybe I've followed an old link, so I'll try again.

Friggin' odd...

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@CatBoris -

While it would be unfortunate to miss out on the features of the front end, you can always just choose not to install it during installation of the 5.0.0 mod (iirc it has it's own step during installation), and in so doing need not rename any folders or anything like that. The non-ToEEFE setup arranges everything so it's ready to play right at the outset. (You just lose the ability to play multiple modules under one installation, as well as all the other conveniences of the front end, i.e. various selectable options, clear map cache, etc.) This would be the easiest way for you to get straight to playing. Good luck. :)

12. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

^ ...said options being my main reasons for wanting the frontend :) No matter, though - I tried uninstalling all security programs, then uninstalling ToEE, then re-installing ToEE without any secprogs in the background, and that seemed to do the trick. Odd, since AFAIK, that shouldn't make any difference. Ach well, I appreciate the help!

13. Algolei

Algolei Member

As an experiment, I went into my Temple of Elemental Evil folder and renamed the Data folder (I called it Tempdata so I could fix it again), then tried to run the front end. I received those two errors, plus one extra:

0018: Error: One of the game folders can't be accessed! Make sure that no other application uses any of the game folders, then try again

When I went back to replace things, I found the front end had created a new Data folder, and within it there was a new Sound folder. Both were otherwise empty.

I would guess from this, therefore, that those three errors are associated with files missing or malfunctioning from the Sound folder.

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

There are many of the "nnnn: Error: One of the game folders can't be accessed! Make sure that no other application uses any of the game folders, then try again." errors...missing file or moved file or corrupted file and normally means a reinstall; computer security programs can lock a file and normally means disabling the security program (unless it is a virus infected file - is quarantined, locked, or renamed that defines the action needed); dotNET was not installed properly or is somehow fouled up and dotNET needs to be reinstalled; and the video card does not have enough memory or has gone bad and the video card needs to be replaced or upgraded.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
Our Host!