Spouseicide

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Libris, Feb 12, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Libris

Libris Pineapple Pirate

First off, I just wanted to say how awesome this site and the modding job on ToEE is. I haven't finished it yet, but all the additions I've run into so far are either endlessly amusing or generally a wonderful improvement. (I.E. Frank )

I do have a question, however, which the reply to may just be me being as airheaded as usual, but I'm hoping someone can answer.

In Hommlet, when one is endlessly running around performing conversions, the first time I played (without the CoE mod) I could get Meleny in my party fairly quickly after a few of the sidequests were completed. Now, I've just run into that I have to marry/marry off Fruella before I can do so, since that's the only way I can perform the conversion of her family - and thus get Marek converted. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do that the first time I played - I really don't want Fruella in my party - and I'd rather not resort to Spouseicide either (Although, in this case, it's almost a desirable alternative...). Am I just being blind, or is there a way around it?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Kill her!!! KILL FRUELLA!!! :rant:

Sorry, I don't know what comes over me... anyways, normally I find Terjon wants the leatherworker's family (ie the Bing moment) as the price for Marek to apostatise. Were you healing Bing before speaking to Terjon about Marek?

3. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

Freulla is hot, in the original module. there is a slight comment about her being annoying or something like that. It ends with "she is a real catch" or something.

Her stats are excallent.

If your character did the nasty with her, you're stuck listening to her until the module is over. Unless, you put her up front and ...

well, divorce is not an option in TOEE.

It's actually worth having her die to just hear what she says to you. It's really funny.

Having Fruella and Melon-y together is good because something triggers during one event and fruella gets ready to bitchslap melon-y or something. i wasn't prepared for it and i started cracking up.

another fun one is havinga character with intel below 8 talking to her (or many others) before they join you (or interact with you).

Fruella is heartless...=:-D

If I were you, and Fruella is on your team, keep her. eventually she might die or you get to listen to her the whole game. After all, you now have no choice.

heh heh heh

4. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

Re: Spouseicide (spoiler)

oh here's a statagy for you:
    set the map for no fog
    turn off acceleration in the map scrolling options
    when in homlet or if trying to get around hte temple fast
    - scroll the map to where you want to go.
    click for your soul character leader to go to where you want him/her to go
    - after he/she starts moving click the rest button: reset the rest for one hour and the character immidiatly appears where you clicked for them to go to. if you do it quick enough, the computer "wierd path" issues will not ever trigger. you made the comment about endless conversion and stuff in hommlet. hommlet is a breeze if you use this option.
    - conversions: do the conversion of the leather worker first. if you do the marriage thing first, you won't get any more conversion options.
    - donot visit or interact with fruella before converting the eritor character.
    - after the final conversion quest, visit fruella only and do not marry her. if you like a long "where are they now after you win the game, marry her right before you go to the temple to defeat the lady of fungi in the basement.
    -SPOILER- as far as marrying Melon-y, there appears to be no issues with having two wives in the game. However, there have been a few times when i won the game that Melony gets eaten by an ocher jelly at the ending titles. I realize one was when my characters swore loyelty to Hadrack inthe temple. the other times i cant remmeber if hte party had an evil loyalty or something.
    - lastly, donot raise melony from the dead: the game doesn't acknowledge raised characters and if you visit her father, he'll still think she's dead and fight you. then you are stuck with the butcher of hommlet image. the visits to hommlet end at that point.

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The only reason to do the Fruella quest is for the xp. Once her strength is up she's a good fighter with the cleaver. Meleny's stats are pitiful and she's not much use. Fruella at higher levels and the cleaver crafted to +3Frost/Icyburst, etc is absolute hell.

6. Storm Raven

Storm Raven Member

Umm, huh? Meleny useless? Sure, her strength score is low, but many of her nonphysical stats are quite good (I believe she has a 17 or 18 wisdom). Given that she is a druid, the fact that she can't wade into battle and mix it up is a minor problem. Get her an animal companion and have her cast spells. As far as I know, she's the only druid NPC you can recruit until deep in the nodes.

Fruella is a fighter. There are lots of fighters to recruit, many of whom as better at that job.

7. wizgeorge

At 8thlevel Meleny can have a str of 16 with a giant belt. A +2scimitar or longspear and she can fight okay The higher level Druid spells are okay. You just have to "carry" her for a good while.

8. SirFerret

SirFerret Member

It's been my experience that you have to carry anyone a good long while unless you get them in your party at the outset.

9. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

What part of "she's not a fighter" is giving you trouble? Play to her strengths. A druid is useful long before 8th level.

10. Storm Raven

Storm Raven Member

She's not a fighter. Or a barbarian. Or a paladin. Or a ranger. She is a druid. She's actually quite a good druid, because, other than her strength, her attributes are fairly good.

She can get an animal companion (for me, usually a wolf at the beginning, replaced by a black bear and then a brown bear), which can fight reasonably well. She casts spells as a druid. Don't worry about having her bump up her strength and fight with a scimitar. Worry about having her cast produce flame, and barkskin, and call lightning and so on. I usually give her a light crossbow and let her fire away if she doesn't have any spells left that are useful (although by the time she is 8th level, that almost never happens).

Trying to use Meleny as a fighter is just silly. She's not. She's good at other things.

11. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

Hi,

I have a Fruella bug. She just wont die!!!

Actually, she dies, but the game doesn't acknowledge it. Her father doesn't come up with any dialogue except hunting & farming, and even after she's been discarded from the party the game figures out she still occupies a slot...

I have patch 2 (not 1: french version), Co8 5.0 installed.

Maybe it has to do with changing the ratio of PCs/NPCs during the game? Started with 6/2 then 7/1. My plan was to get Fruella to help kill the giant, and to get you-know-what from Meleny's father, then discard her, and have my 6th and 7th PCs join in (so as to have the lead PCs get more xps for themselves at the beginning)

Whenever I tried to open the PC book in the inn after that: CTD.

Finally I found a workaround loading an earlier save, killing her, removing the other NPC (Spugnoir), and then the PC logbook would open. It added my 6th and 7th Pcs alright, and then Spugnoir joined again fine.

Haven't experienced other CTDs so far since.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  12. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

The bug you mention is actually quite an old one and happened in the original game. One of those pesky things which are impossible to pin down. You could think of it as her love reaching out from beyond the grave ;)

Try this thread for a way to fix the problem (post #5 by ShiningTed should sort it out):

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5192&highlight=invisible

13. wizgeorge

Most of the npc's have dialouge to leave the party, except Fruella. Elmo is a better selection and a lot better fighter. If all you want is the cleaver, then just take it and allow her to get killed in a fight. You might get the Butcher of Hommlett reputation, not sure. Fruella's strength is 14, Elmo is 18. The critical of 17-20x3 with the cleaver is what makes Fruella useful. Boost her strength at level-up and gauntlets or belt and she's really tough. Your choice.
    P.S. No Butcher rep if she dies in battle.

14. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

Thanks Zebedee

yup!! "taaaaake my haaaand, only ghouls rush iiiin" :grin:

lol

I know. Actually I kinda hate the un-nerfed sooper-destroyer cleaver, all I wanted was to get a certain white sword (then again maybe converting the miller instead of Fruella would have been enough for Terjon! forgot that)

Fruella's kinda fun at the beginning but she does get on your nerves after a while. And yes, she is an excellent fighter with great stats, a routine of improved tripping & cleaving is impressive. Then turn her into a bard (ch 16) and you've got quite something.

Still, she punches my buttons after a while, and this time I wanted to get rid of her. And of course I didn't kill her (I have a paladin!), I just put her in the front lines with little armor... heh heh

;o)

15. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

Divorce Henry VIII style. Conversion and murder, true paladin conduct. Yup, can't say anything bad about that.:D

Our Host!