Level 4 traps

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firesprung, Feb 15, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Firesprung

Firesprung Member

Folks,

(spoilers)

I've searched on the topic, and I've seen polls/threads discussing the electric traps, but no solution to getting by them after killing all but the concubines in the area, and using my rogue with 11 disarm traps and a Cat's Grace/Gloves of Dex enhanced dex of 21, but cannot disarm the trap. Any other work arounds (apart from taking the throne down to the Fungi Queen's domain? - which I've already done.) DOes the TZMY (or whatever it is) scarab do anything?

Thanks,

Firesprung

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You have to do the "Bluto" stealth moves to avoid the trap. Hit the "c" key to enter the combat mode, and creep right on through the danger zone.

3. Firesprung

Firesprung Member

thanks spike. i didn't want to go that route, but had to.

4. Ragnon Goblingutter

Ragnon Goblingutter Priest of Moradin

My CG ranger (no rogue in the party) with max ranks in Disable Device and MW thieves' tools, gloves of Dex +4 and the bard inspiring greatness couldn't disarm them, either. I ended up taking the party through the trapped area one at a time, and then healing on the other side. This required an 8-hour recovery time so the cleric would have all his spells before facing Hedrack, leading to many fights with random gargoyles, trolls, hill giants, or ettins.

A CN party with a buffed rogue sailed through, though. :cool2: She disarmed that sucker on the first try, and it never re-armed.

The above was with Co8 mod 4; I'm just starting to use mod 5 now, so am somewhat short on sleep, since RL often rears its ugly head.

5. TimSmith

TimSmith Established Member

The trap didn't activate on my 4.01 party. The thief was sneaking ahead to scout and she just disarmed it. Are you saying that if she hadn't been SNEAKING, she would have got zapped?

6. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I like to use the console with game.fade_and_teleport(0,0,0,5080,480,480). It takes you past the trap but doesn't trigger the big fight.

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Yes; that's what I meant instead of the stupid ass c-key thing. Chalk that up to advancing age, divided attention, or whatever else you may care too. Apologies to all who got fried as a result...:zap:

8. rpmfla

rpmfla Member

My first time through I wasn't able to disable the trap, so I aligned with a temple and had a priest take me down "blindfolded". I successfully killed all the enemies there and then completed the nodes. When I came back to leave, I was able to deactivate the "inside" trap. Perhaps the inside trap is easier than the outside trap?

I believe I had a rogue/ranger character that did it.

This time through I stupidly built up the trap skills of an NPC (Serena) just for the purpose of disarming that trap! DUH! NPC's can't open chests so she can't disable this trap. I have no other rogue or ranger in the party, so I'm not sure what I'll do. It is quite a roadblock for a rogueless party!

9. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

What about a Dimension Door? That should be able to get your Wizard across (or Sorcerer, dependingly).

Then you could just do an area transition, which should bring all your party members to you, getting yourself past the trap.

10. rpmfla

rpmfla Member

I've been playing RPGs for many years (favorite I'd say was Planescape:Torment) and have never been too interested in the Rogue class. I have occasionally used a Bard or Ranger with some Rogue class skills, but never chose a straight Rogue that I can remember.

I am level 10 now with my group. I do have a Barbarian with some points in Disable Device, so I may wander around until I level up to add more points to that skill, but from the posts here it seems it may take quite a few points. Does anyone know how many pints are needed? Is it totally Disable Device or are there other requirments?

My main group is a cleric, a fighter, a bardarian, and 2 sorcerers.

11. nedleeds

nedleeds Member

Enough pints and you pretty much can tolerate anything, cold weather, electrical traps, fat girls, etc.

12. rpmfla

rpmfla Member

Yes, that is true!

I leveled up and chose one level of Rogue for my Barbarian "Arrgh", since he had the most "Rogue-like" stats at that point. I put all 12 points (not pints) into disable device. I also chose fox's cunning for intelligence with one sorcerer and ? for dexterity for the other. I also had some gloves for +2 dexterity.

I cast buffing spells and he was able to disable that trap. So, I guess you don't need a high level Rogue for this particulr trap. Alls well, and it is on to defeat Hedrack and his buddies.

Our Host!