Testrelease: TheActivator

Discussion in 'Modding Tools and Utilities' started by Spellslinger, Feb 4, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Beta test release of the combined feat and skill activator, short: TheActivator! ;) This time even with tasty (well...) GUI. But this comes with a price tag attached... it's really big. Huge I might say. But then, it has python and the wxwidgets dlls included in the exe, so it is to be expected. Feedback would be very welcome, since this is my first try with wxPython.

So, what does it do?
    It has the same functionality as the already released FeatActivator. In addition to that you can enable/disable skills, and set the class skill properties of the activated skills.

How to use it?
    If the tool doesn't find a temple.dll in its folder, it will prompt for the location of the dll. After that you can choose what to modify, feats or skills. Press F1 for a short info. The index number refers to the index of the mes files. Update DLL writes the currently displayed entry to the dll, and only that.

I suppose the activated skills aren't included anywhere in the game logic, so if you want to have them take any effect, you have to script it.

So, any of you who are not scared of downloading a whooping 4 megs... go for it. Feedback would be very appreciated. It looks ok here, but I'm sure Ted's Win98 will break something again. ;)

http://files.co8.org/tools/TheActivator_0.1beta.rar

UPDATE 0.2beta

-now with icons! :eek:mg:
    -extended feat range to include Moebius' dummy feats
    -fixed bug in dll selection at startup (possibility to select non-existing files)
    -now displays feat/skill name, if the .mes are:
    a) in the same dir as the tool or
    b) in data\mes of the game folder when you select the temple.dll in TOEE root or in modules\Co8* (be advised that the skill.mes is not present in the normal Co8 installation, at least that's the case here ;) )

http://files.co8.org/tools/TheActivator_0.2beta.rar

The tool requires msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll. I'm not really sure if I can redistribute them, and before MS's wrath hits me, just download them yourself when you are missing those files.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Blame Win98 will you?!?! :rant:

But this is damn fine work, Mr 'I can't make a skills activator, Moebius didn't change any of the skills' :p

Damn fine work :clap: :notworthy :thumbsup:

3. Shiningted

Btw, I don't know what skills are normally available, but the other skills the game will recognise are:

{21}{Alchemy}
    {22}{Balance}
    {23}{Climb}
    {24}{Craft}
    {25}{Decipher Script}
    {26}{Disguise}
    {27}{Escape Artist}
    {28}{Forgery}
    {29}{Handle Animal}
    {30}{Innuendo}
    {31}{Intuit Direction}
    {32}{Jump}
    {33}{Knowledge (Arcana)}
    {34}{Knowledge (Religion)}
    {35}{Knowledge (Nature)}
    {36}{Knowledge (All)}
    {37}{Profession}
    {38}{Read Lips}
    {39}{Ride}
    {40}{Swim}
    {41}{Use Rope}

Craft seems to only refer to alchemy (you can't learn any other craft) and alchemy, just looking at some of the notes, may already be implemented up to a point, ditto with decipher script. Otherwise, I can see several that might be useful - I think Balance should already be in there for saving throws involving Grease etc. Disguise would be fabulous, swim, climb and use rope would all have a lot of uses, (keep in mind I am thinking KotB atm) and the knowledge skills would have their moments too. It will be a big task to make them useful enough in the whole game to spend ranks in, but I like big tasks :dribble:

I guess the big question is, will the classes recognise class skills when activated, or will they all be cross-class? The feats were recognised by and large (fighters still got MWP all even after we added new martial weapons, Elves got WP Composite Longbow under the old 3.0 rules, etc) so we can always hope :)

I don't know what innuendo is, but I'm not making it :censored:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Hmmm I guess they may work as class skills, keep in
    mind that Troika has started with a very wide scope of
    D&D content which they then had to dump either because
    of its uselessness in the module or the incapability of making
    them work as intended in a computer game. ;)

And Knowledge WOULD be cool. :D

5. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Innuendo...that's from the v3.0 D&D. It's a charisma-based check to use certain...well, let me put it this way. If your character were a girl, she'd be using her 'femenine wiles' to try to get something out of the NPCs.

I could imagine being able to use that skill usefully in the brothel of Nulb...

6. Spellslinger

Meh, I think I managed to invert the feat flag interpretation... Please redownload. As to the skills:
    Yes, Ted, the list you got there are the skills available and currently deactivated. But making them actually useful will be lots of scripting indeed. As to the class skills, this should work fine. Of course only if I didn't happen to invert these flags, too... :shrug:

*EDIT*:
    And just for the record, Mr. Ted, I never said that I can't make a skill activator, I just said that it's much more work since the skill organization in the dll was unknown. :p

7. maggit

Can't unrar.... CRC error. o_O

8. Spellslinger

Hmm, try again?

*EDIT*
    I think you guys were a split second too fast here, the file might have been still uploading. Yeah, curse my slow upload. ;)

9. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Ooh. Cyclical Redundancy Check. I love that error. But I don't know how to fix it off the top of my head. :p

10. maggit

Now it's OK... I just informed you because I re-downloaded
    the program as you've written in the edit and thought that
    something is wrong again. ;P Re-downloaded again and it
    works. Nice work! :clap:

11. Shiningted

Just as long as we are agreed that while you did all the work, I get the credit since I am the one who goaded you into it :beer:

12. Spellslinger

Bah, blasphemy, I say! Watch it, or I'll send Frank your way. :anger: ;)

13. Spellslinger

Updated first post: 0.2beta

14. Shiningted

Got it!

Gave 0.1 a run last night, btw - couldn't get it to work in 98 :anger: but went great in XP. The GUI is fabulous :thumbsup:

15. Spellslinger

Meh, I just knew it. Don't tell me it doesn't even show an error message again? I'm not aware of anything that should prevent it from running under Win98. :rant:

Our Host!