CTD on feat selection

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Xellan, Jan 25, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, the thing is, I just get a CTD: no error report or anything.

Is there some way I can debug in 98? Keeping in mind I don't normally use any sort of debugging tools... but if u wanna start throwing out suggestions to isolate the problem, changes to hack into the dll maybe, I am quite willing to do the testing.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Win98 supports Error Logging. To enable error logging, you must set the LogFile value in the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault

LogFile Value is a type of String and must contain the path and filename of the logfile.

3. Shiningted

Ok, I can do that :)

4. Xellan

Xellan Member

I don't have a \Fault key under \CurrentVersion

To do this, will I have to create the key? I'm not afraid to do a bit of registry editing if I'm given good instructions on what to do.

By the way, thanks for all your work so far on this issue. It's nice to know that it's a reproducible error and so far not looking like a game killer from what I've read on this thread to date.

I bow down to the superior knowledge of yon code-meisters. :):Crazy_Tig

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

read post below for info

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  6. Shiningted

Or, back up your registry before hacking it ;)

The registry is like everything else - looks tough fully assembled, but once you have it in little bits all over the floor, its a pushover :chainsaw:

I haven't had time to scratch myself testing-wise, this'll probably have to await the weekend for me.

7. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Don't sweat it, Ted. I doubt I would have had much time to evaluate your findings before the weekend anyway. And since it's only the old and (t)rusty Win98 that bugs up... No hurry. ;)

8. Xellan

Xellan Member

See, that's the part I don't have. I know where everything is supposed to be located. I get this far on my left panel:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

..and I don't see anything called "fault" in said left panel. Is it /supposed/ to be there already? Or am I supposed to add "fault", and then add the other stuff?

I'm not uncomfortable doing it. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right so I don't end up tearing my hair out and screaming to the sky "Why isn't this working?!"

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

yah, u'd add it...read post # 32 -=- If you are not comfortable, don't edit it.

The String should have a data field containing a path and filename something like this.

C:\Logw98.log

Hint:
    Fault is a key under CurrentVersion in the left-side pane of the window.

LogFile and C:\Logw98.log are in the right-side pane of the window.

LogFile is a String.

And, C:\Logw98.log is the data in the data field of the String LogFile.

If it is not there in the left-side pane, then, add Fault as a new key directly under the CurrentVersion key.

Click the Fault key to select it. Then, right-click in the right-side pane, mouse-over new and select String Value in the pop-up menu. Type LogFile for the name of the new String Value. Finally, right-click over LogFile and select Modify from the pop-up menu. Type the Windows path and filename for a log file you want to use for monitoring errors.

Remember to follow case for Fault and LogFile, i.e., they are probably upper- and lower-case sensitive.

10. Xellan

Xellan Member

I added the key, just as you said, so now there's a \fault key under CurrentVersion. I created the LogFile data value with c:\Logw98.log as the file it should create.

I run ToEEFE, launch the game, bring up my save game (I have it saved where I can level up right away), and go to do the rogue feat selection and the game crashes just as predicted, but no logfile is generated. I even went so far as to create the logfile myself, and try again to see if it was used to generate a log of the error. No error was reported.

So I hope someone else has better luck, because as I'm seeing it, this thing is crashing without even generating any kind of error.:confused:

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

That is supposed to work. No, I do not know why it did not work for you. Maybe it is a silent error (no messages error)? I will see if I can find reports of others for whom it did not work posted on the Internet, maybe I can and maybe there are no posted reports on that topic. We'll see about that.

Otherwise, for those of you who still run and use Windows 98, here is the Help and Support Home on microsoft.com for Windows 98.
    "End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me"
    * Effective July 11, 2006, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me (and their related components) will transition to a non-supported status. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support options or security updates. Microsoft is not offering a custom support agreement for these products.

HINT: If you use Windows 98, add that link to your favorites if you do not already have it in your favorites.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  12. Shiningted

What specifically constitutes an error? A call to something non-existant in Windows, like an OpenGL request for something your graphics card doesn't support, or just an internal screw-up in a piece of code? If said piece of code can't find something internal, like a JMP point that lands on a non-executable piece of data, and the code has a conniption and stops running, would Windows specifically log that as an error?

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

As far as video graphics are concerned, I would expect that to depend on error reporting that the video graphics engine is designed to support and would pass along to Windows for Windows to recognize it as an error. Now, if it is a graphics error in terms of what DirectX is involved with and processes, DirectX related errors should be reported to Windows.
    (And remember, up-to-date video drivers can fix video errors and error handling problems.)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Okay, I'm going to take a step back here, but if there seem to be video bugs or glitches, this is a serious reminder to update your sound card drivers or audio drivers because, believe it or not, outdated or really poor sound/audio drivers can actually be a root cause of video errors and issues.
    (Prime examples of this are Audigy [are documented for it] and various 64-bit and greater audio, especially on motherboards that are not as modern and new in terms of technology OR are not completely compatible. Audio drivers impacting video graphics became significant with 32-bit sound/audio.)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  15. Shiningted

Ummm, Krunch? The openGL comment was an example. Could you please focus on the problem? (And this has nothing to do with updating drivers - you should know that no-one is releasing new drivers for Win98).

Now, I finally had a chance to do this: I put the log fault thing in the registry, restarted the PC, opened the registry again to make sure it was in there, then ran ToEE and triggered a CTD. No log file was created.

Rather than 2 independant stuff-ups, this is more likely the sort of error that doesn't generate such a logfile. Which leads me back to my original question - what sort of error will

- crash a game

- not send an error report thru Windows

- BUT involves interaction with Windows and is not an internal coding screwup (or the code wouldn't work in XP, which it does).

C'mon folks, someone must have an idea...

In case it is relevant, I will detail my TheActivator(TM) experiences in 98. First it demanded something which was missing called MSVCR71.dll - I found one of these in XP and I pasted it over. Then it said there was an error and created its own logfile (nice work S_S!) The logfile shows the following two error reports, one for 0.1 beta and the other for 0.2 beta:

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "TheActivator.py", line 6, in <module>
      File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 78, in load_module
      File "wx\__init__.pyo", line 45, in <module>
      File "wx\_core.pyo", line 4, in <module>
      File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 91, in load_module
    ImportError: MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading wx\_core_.pyd

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "TheActivator.py", line 6, in <module>
      File "wx\__init__.pyo", line 45, in <module>
      File "wx\_core.pyo", line 4, in <module>
      File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 91, in load_module
    ImportError: MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading wx\_core_.pyd
    This leads me to ask - S_S, when you implemented the Verbobonc map point hack that differentiates the 'working' dlls from the non-working ones, did you assume the presence of any other .dll that was necessary to understand the files-handling stuff? A python interpretter of some sort that could be in XP (like MSVCR71.dll) but missing in Win98?

O and for the record you don't have to make TheActivator(TM) work in 98, I am just refering to those issues here in case there is a related problem of what is assumed to be present for these things to work.

Our Host!