Desktop Crashes! New Problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Baldrick, Jan 30, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Member

I have finally got this game runing reasonably well. Using 5.0.0 FE, which seems great. Was playing along quite happily last night. Manually saved the game, and shut down. Now, after loading last save - and have also tried other previous saves with the same result - try moving the party, and once the curser gets to the edge of the page, the whole game crashes to desktop.

I have tried turning off Nortons Internet Security, and disabling virus checkers. Internet Connection turned off.

First time this happed, an error message appeared, then vanished before I could note it down - but now there is no longer any error message - just CRASH After 8 system re-starts ther has been no change :cry:

I have just about completed all the first quests in Hommlet - and entered the wainwrights Store. After leaving, and trying to head to the Inn for a snooze, is when it Crashed the first time.

I am running a P4 3.0E CPU * 1GB RAM * XFX 7600GT AGP Video Card * Have 45GB free HDD space on 80GB HDD.

This has not happened before. :punch:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is - or beter still - any solutions to the problem? :help:

Many thanks

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

That is weird. I suspect it is an install of ToEE issue, not hardware.

Is ToEE the only program that crashes? For example, can you open a spreadsheet program and move the scrollbars in a spreadsheet to go past the current view to the far right of and down the spreadsheet? Do any other programs have crash issues, or no?

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Oh and btw, your Norton Internet Security might have to be uninstalled.

* I would suggest a quick attempt to fix the issue might be to uninstall and remove Norton Internet Security per post # 17 in the Kaptains Korner thread and see if the issue is resolved. (You can always reinstall it later if it is not the cause of the problem.)

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Member

Thanks for the reply - ToEE seems to be the only program that has a problem. Other games flow quite nicely - videos run - spreadsheets etc all work.

Can't see why it would suddenly happen - has been going alright first. I guess NIS might be the problem - although I only have 12 dasy left before the sub runs out - so a re-install would take some time witha ll the updates. (It was a online purchased version)

Thanks Krunch

Cheers

5. Baldrick

Baldrick Member

Update: Have had another "play" with the settings - and it got to the stage the game wouldn't even load using the FE loader. However, I could load the origanl module from the FE loader. Although, a couple of times, it crashed again.

If I just loaded ToEE from the Programs, using the "standard" loader, there were no problems (except I didn't have the advantages of the Co8 mods :(

I then saved the games & characters to a different folder, and uninstalled both the Mod Pack & the game, and did a fresh re-install of both.

Everything seemed to work OK from both loaders, so I copied the saved games & characters across into the data folder.

Re-launched, and the menus for saved games etc all filled. I chose an earlier game, and this loaded up. (I am thinking - GREAT!)

But, once again, I start moving about, and the game crashes completely. :anger: :( :anger:

Perhaps somewhere along the lines, my saved games have become corrupted???

By the way, I did install both patch 1 & 2 before the Co8 Mod Pack.

eeeekkkkkk......I really enjoy playing this, and would hate to have to start again, only to get to the same point & have it all happen again!! :censored: :censored:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  6. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

The problems might be caused by your saves.
    I had this once, at the 1st level of the temple,
    my game did not crash to desktop but in froze
    in a certain place of the map whenever I moved
    the screen there or ordered my chars to go in
    this direction. Cleaning up cache before starting
    a new game might also be a good idea.

7. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

question for you Baldrick. did you disable the autosave? this may have nothing to do with your problem but i know that having the autosave on can cause game problems and CTDs.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

It sounds like your saved games are corrupt.

Do NOT use autosave AND do NOT use quicksave, either. Once a saved game has become corrupted, it cannot be un-done.

9. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

Is there a way to backup saved games to prevent corruption?

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Yes, you can make a copy of the files in the folder where the game saves are located in ToEE and use a copy of the files in that folder as a backup copy. Of course, those files as a backup copy would have to be kept in a separate folder.

* Also yes, you would have to periodically make a new copy of your saved game files and overwrite the files in the folder where you save your backup copy.

** Finally yes, you could delete the saved game files in the ToEE game folder and copy-and-paste the backup files to the game folder to be the saved game files that ToEE will use in the game.

[EDIT]
    Remember that Co8 4 version of game save files are not compatible with a Co8 5.0.0 or newer version of game and also Co8 5.0.2 game save files are not compatible with a Co8 5.0.3 version of game. Similarly and likewise, game saves by the version of Co8 MOD are not backward compatible with previous versions of Co8 MODs.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
Our Host!