Test release: modHumbleNPCs

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Spellslinger, Jan 16, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, I HAVE asked that Spell-slinger create a 'skill-activator', similar to the spectacularly successful feat activator he made (which added about 20 weapons-related feats): there are lots of skills that the game kinda-sorta recognises.

Or is lore some bardic thing?

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

really I don't give a shit about paladins but I like monks - they're a good base for a dex based fighter the problem atm is that I have to make a couple of identical charaters and console in the xp when I swap them over at levelup to get the right respective monk/other levels I want at this point in the game. I'm not overly concered about it as its not RAW in most dnd worlds (in oriental adventures they can mutliclass and back as much as they want).

on the other hand if you ever figure out how the game figures out what skins to apply to what race that would be fantistic.

3. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Actually, the question about what is wrong with them was serious. Keep in mind that I only played through ToEE twice. And the first time was years ago. So don't go off assuming that I just know what you are talking about. ;)

If this is just about the fact that you cannot gain anymore levels in monk/paladin after multiclassing into some other class, this should be RAW, right? And we are all about RAW around here.

As for implementing a prestige class: I don't think this is feasible right now (if at all) with the time I can invest in modding at the moment. And I even more doubt that you could emulate its features via scripting.

@Cujo: I don't have any idea about the graphics section of the engine at the moment. Though if I had to guess, I would say that all the references to the skins in the engine are hardcoded and adding something new will be a PITA(major). Still, if you are willing to invest some time and walk me through the skin mechanics as far as you know them, we could meet up in IRC some time. But no promises, if things look like I think they do, I'll pull the eject lever faster than you can say "drow". ;)
    PM me if you want to work on it nevertheless.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

SpellSlinger - whoopen up the Temple.DLL, truly amazing.

5. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Actually I'm surprised at this confession. :p But I second krunch here. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I'm not sure if trokia put in the nessary bits in but left them inactive. from my experiments how the game finds the right skins and addmesh for a playable race is that it starts in the protos in the race colum, it goes out through the dll to the materials.mes and the addmesh.mes to check for the corispondin race numbers. there are also a couple of other files which have races which are currently unplayable like drow. I've made a couple of threads about what I found titled animal scientific experiment. its interestinf to not that if you use the console comands that change race, if you used the ones for the subraces you get the main race.

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

You are correct, sir. Monks and Paladins being unable to continue after multiclassing is RAW. Some settings, such as Oriental Adventures which Cujo mentioned, have exceptions, but the way it works in ToEE is how it's laid out in the core rules.

WotC has pretty much stated the restriction is only place for flavor reasons after insistance from their play-testers, rather than balance issues.

However, you're also correct in that the Co8 creedo so far has been to stick to RAW whenever possible.

8. Shiningted

I've been trying to get this (S_S's version of the Humble NPCs mod) going in KotB and have had no luck. It says it installed but my NPCs still refuse to transfer and sell things they are given.

Anyone had any luck using this? And why is this for people without the FrontEnd - does it clash with later versions of ToEEFE?

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

There is the original executable file version of HumbleNPC that is separate from the ToEEFE executable containing the humble option. Do you have the exe version of HumbleNPC and can you try that executable file on your KotB installed game? Does it work?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  10. Shiningted

Ummm, yah, that is what I meant - that executable claimed to have installed on my .dll but didn't appear to do anything.

No matter. I put the KotBFE aside and tried it with the ToEEFE: all seems good.

Now, a few comments on setting up NPCs to be 'Humble':

- anything you don't want transfered (eg magic items the party have to buy) should be flagged NO_TRANSFER. These items will still be lootable when you murder them. (I mean, when they fall in battle). To remove that flag to allow transfer by sale or something, use something like this (this is part of Two Swords' 'let you have her half-plate when she is physically wearing something better' script)
    Code:
    	plate = attachee.item_find(6334)
    	plate.item_flag_unset(OIF_NO_TRANSFER)
    	attachee.item_transfer_to_by_proto(triggerer,6334)

- anything you don't want transfered under any circumstances (familiars come to mind...) - even when the NPC's broken and bloody corpse is sitting on the end of your lance - should be flagged NO_DROP.

- anything you want in there that the party shouldn't even see should be flagged NO_DISPLAY.

- some inventory items with these flags (particularly weapons) seem to need to be flagged DRAW_WHEN_PARENTED to display properly.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
Our Host!