Test release: modHumbleNPCs

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Spellslinger, Jan 16, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Well, well. There you go and work on it, chug out some information late at night to a few people, and suddenly you unfortunately didn't post any info about it when they talk about it in the forum. What the heck... :chairshot :chainsaw: :rant: :punch:

:D

Well enough of the kidding, for all the people that don't use the front end and still want to test the modified humble NPCs fix, I whipped up a little patcher app. Console as usual, you know the deal. :p

To take things out of the nutshell, this is a modification of Drifter's original patch. I left everything alone besides the disabled call to a function that checks for the item flags. This was originally done to enable the player to access the items in NPCs' inventories. This call is now reenabled, so that the game respects those flags again (no_transfer, no_drop and some other stuff IIRC). In order to make the NPC items accessible with these flag checks intact, I disabled the code that sets the no_transfer flags on items that NPCs aquire. As Agetian mentioned elsewhere, in ASM it's a bit hard to make really sure that this is the only function of that segment of code. And thus this is whole thing is a test release for the modders and everyone else interested in testing it. If things work out, I think I will just add the documentation of the changes to the dllfix notes.

What's it actually good for: Full control over the NPC's normal equipment while still giving modders the possibility to add items that you cannot take from the NPC (while he is still alive and/or when he's not so alive ;) ). Might also be used for familiars in general. It's up to you guys.

A note on patching the dll: As with the front end, only install this patch on a dll without the original Drifter patch installed or there will be general weirdness and universal mayhem. Maybe.

Kudos to Drifter for the original patch.

http://files.co8.org/tools/modHumbleNPCs.rar

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I had a pain in the a$$ time getting this to work btw - to get the command line to function, I had to put the exe in the folder with the dll, then create a cshortcut next to it, and edit the shortcut to add the '-install' command : if you just run it you don't get the option to type in '-install' or anything.

Maybe I am just slow.

3. Spellslinger

Well, to keep things simple and not require you to type even more on the command prompt, the tool expects the temple.dll in the same folder. Shouldn't be that much of a problem. As to actually using it... I just right-click the toee folder, select "command prompt here" and *bling* I am in the cmd window in the correct dir. Then I just type modh and press TAB, then -install or -remove. That's all. Not much slower than using a simple GUI for it.

It might be that getting the command prompt via context menu is not standard in WinXP, IIRC you can activate that in tools like TuneUP or the like, or directly in the registry.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Command prompt here is an addon powertool for Windows XP - means most people are not developers and will not have that addon feature installed. Most people won't even know it is an addon, what it is and is available to install. They have to know to download and run the required install exe file.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  5. Shiningted

I'm using Win98 - its just dumb luck I thought to create a shortcut and modify the command line.

I have no idea what that 'press TAB' business is about. I think you better dumb this down or add install instructions: i got mine going but I can see this causing a lot of headscratching, which would be a shame for such an important mod.

6. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

@ Spellslinger: is anything modified in this version of the Humble NPCs fix compared with the one I installed in the ToEEFE 4.00? (Do I need to update the FE with anything?)

- Agetian

7. Spellslinger

Well, I don't know what you've put in the FE... ;)

Yes, or rather no, it's still the same.

8. Spellslinger

The patcher was a bit* bugged, so please redownload.

*A bit is mildly put, I actually forgot to update the file after making the changes, so nothing at all happened. :roll:

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

excellent, now if you'd just make monks and paladins multiclassable and the ablity to add drow skins that would be great ;)

10. Spellslinger

Sure, right after I rewrote the AI. :p

Just out of curiosity though, what is wrong with monks and paladins in that respect?

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

cannot be multiclassed

How long would it take for a programmer of your talents to perform that little task?

just kidding *smirk* :grin:

POST # 2000 :rock:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  12. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I think he means "Why's it so bad that Paladins and Monks can't multiclass?" I myself don't have a problem with that. I don't really play Paladins much (though, once a Cleric gets so far, I don't see a point in keeping it, so I multiclass her, if LG, to Paladin.), and Monks are the more-or-less perfect fighters as-is, IMO. So... Yeah, Cujo, what's wrong with Pallys and Monks? :chew:

13. Shiningted

Spammer! :rant:

Seriously though, S-S, any chance you could add one more class? It wouldn't have to do anything, just be there... if you could add one more class called 'Prestige Class' that people could multiclass to, I reckon everything else could be scripted, a la the monks belt.

Just a thought. :gotmyatte

14. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Let's say somebody wants to be some prestige class so he talks to
    a person (most prestige classes require membership to certain groups)
    and dialogue would trigger the proper script, right? Clever.

Oh, and since the thread is turning into a wish list ;) : it would be real
    good to make lore work in ToEE.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  15. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Lore would be nice, but it would be a real pain-in-the-ass to code, I'm sure... I don't even want to think about it... It boggles the mind!

Our Host!