What would you like to see...

Discussion in 'Models, Animations, and Particle Effects' started by vampiricpuppy, Dec 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well VP, suffice it to say that I can't continue to play ball here without beating up ioannis even further, and I'm not going to do that because he doesn't deserve it, so I guess I've said all I'm going to say regarding his stuff.

Most art-related modding in the computer game context involves a sort of strange combination of techinical expertise and innate artistic ability. While the former can be learned, I believe you either have the latter or you don't. Cujo has the latter; so does Cuchulainn. I rather suspect however that most people don't. A simple desire to be an artist doesn't mean that you're going to be a good one.

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I think everyone should keep in mind that Ioannis said from the beginning that he was creating this model for Medieval 2 Total War, and only suggested that it might be useful in KotB. I say he should keep at it if he enjoys it.

3. Alaric Rising

Alaric Rising Sir Balovershagnasty

Hear, hear...

4. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

Don't worry guys, I won't quit my day job. :shrug:

A suggestion. I'll keep (trying to) create stuff in private, but I won't post it in public.

I could just send a pic of my creations per month (at most), to people who don't mind looking at them.
    So, if anyone would like me to PM them with my work, please let me know. We are talking about one pic a month at most. If that doesn't work, either, it's OK, I won't try to model anything for ToEE, and I'll continue on my own. It's quite all right to tell me that "this is crappy", btw. I am not trying to get people to praise me. Another eye always helps.

@vampiricpuppy,
    I 've read your criticism and I would like to thank you for it. I did not know that shading helps, I have not looked at it at all so far. The animation thing got stuck in my mind, and when confronted with a problem I think about it continuously, until I either fix it, or determine that it is impossible for me to tackle. So far, I simply have not invested enough time and effort to come anywhere near to calling quits on modelling. I would really like to improve,and the lower one starts from, the more room one has for improvement.

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

No one ever said that he couldn't keep on keepin' on. But this isn't a Medieval Total War 2 forum, and it won't be useful for KotB/ToEE because there are more than enough good working models already. Constructive criticism was asked for, and given. It's up to him to follow it & contribute to something relevant here, or...not.

EDIT: Our current cat model is a miniature wolf. Perhaps this would be easier than making a Luecrotta into a horse?

6. Alaric Rising

Constructive criticism, yes. But inflammatory words/phrases, or what could be precieved as inflammatory in a medium where it is virtually impossible to emote and easy to read into intentions, don't really help. Instead, they just cause strife, enmity and deviation from topic as people feel the need to respond or defend.

So, back to what we would like to see. I'd like to see more muflawns of doom!! Or at least, more unique creatures. ToEE was sadly lacking in the euphoria of having your ass handed to you by wierd and terrifying bad guys. I swear by ALL the gods, good and evil, if I see another pissing bugbear...!!&(%$#! Suffice to say, there will be pain..

[..damn the mispellings, making me edit! Not tidy!]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  7. Lord_Spike

It is, after all, only your perception. Mine is that you could have considered these very things before you decided to make this portion of your post, but you chose not to. Which is the more inflammatory? I wasn't trying to start shit with anyone here by design or accident. And your excuse is...? I think this is a good time to drop it for everyone's sake.

I'd like to see if you can provide info on what a "muflawn of doom" is. Even Google couldn't find that one for me. Unfortunately for you, this game is based on D&D, so you'll have to settle for what's in that game system. This is about ToEE & KotB, nothing else.

Try posting either more carefully or less :drunk:

8. Alaric Rising

Thank you for the point-in-case, Spikey. See, perfect example of an inflammatory response thus initiating my response. You'll notice, I added a little inflammation of my own by using a diminutive with your name. Properly deserved I feel.

Oh Spike, did you really waste your time looking that up? Levity, my boy. Muflawn (mouflon as it is really spelled), or a sheep, of doom doesn't exist. Anywhere. Just looking to lighten the mood a bit and bring it back to topic, but if you insist on bringing it down again, I suppose that is your call. You see, I was dropping it. But you brought it back, opting rather to get the last word, which is a concept I understand well, otherwise I wouldn't be responding to your prods. But hey, we all have our faults.

And finally back to the beginning of your retort, Spike. Defensiveness is not an attractive feature. If you'll note, not once in my post did I accuse you, use the any form of the second person or address it to anyone in particular. Just a generally observation that you seemed to take into yourself, sending a volley of accusations my way in your post.

And in the end, I believe we should follow what should have been your last line of text and allow this to be brought back to the purpose of the thread.

9. Lord_Spike

Rather easy to do, wouldn't you say, when you QUOTE me, as you did when you were "trying to drop it". Are you lying when you try to make us believe the former, or the latter?

Stop trolling.

10. Alaric Rising

Well, I wasn't pissed until just now. You of all people on this site accuse me of trolling?! How much shit have you started, Spike, in all your 2300+ posts?

I'll give you that I should not have quoted you when making an observation. It was there. I used it and I apologize for it. Sadly, more sorry that it gave you leverage than for the actual misrepresentation, but there it is.

I don't want to see this thread locked. Let's just let it lie and go on with our days.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Alaric, who asked you, anyway? About anything? Ioannis said he's frigging okay with it, yet you continue to champion the cause with your nebulous 'inflammatory words/phrases' references. Why do you, with your 50+ posts in the week since you've been here, presume to tell us anything? You seemed okay when you first showed up last week, but I'm beginning to find you somewhat suspicious.

12. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

People have already made their opinions known; i think everyone understands each viewpoint; in the effort of keeping the peace and stopping trying to get the last word in, can we please just get back on track?

13. vampiricpuppy

Out of curiosity, has anyone come across polygons in ToEE models that have 0 'depth'?

i.e. they are simply a flat plane.

i'm wondering whether the ToEE engine renders them double-sided or not.

Just trying to figure out the best way to tackle the wing-membrane on that dragon model.

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

from alphaing stuff out I've found that it does both, an example could be a cloak or robe that renders the inside, where as a hole alphaed into the chest of a suit of fullplate shows through the whole model. so I guess anything thick only renders on one side.

btw wtf is all the bickering about, I just skimed through the thread and saw people getting fiesty near the end of it. Every one should sit down and shut the fuck up.

15. vampiricpuppy

ok, i've fixed up the dragon's wings so that they now have the membrane between the... strut... bits :scratchhe

and i've also modeled the feet in.

Judging by what you say cujo; my plan is to make a series of other 0-depth 'ridges' down the back of the model, that could be alpha-ed out in the relevant areas to create the various different types of horns/spines that the different types of dragons have on them.

I figure that way the model will be far more versatile, as more differentiation can be made between different varieties of dragon while using the same model.

Head geometry still needs work btw ;)

It's also worth noting that (at least in maya) the anti-aliasing seems to add shadows into the creases between the thick geometry and the thin wing membrane. This doesnt bother me personally, anyone think its a problem?

The Wings could also be alpha-ed out in patches to create a tatty effect for some of the more evil/spooky dragons :)

Attached Files:

Our Host!