Just a thank you note

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by legal tender, Jan 18, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. legal tender

legal tender Member

Actually, it's a BIG thank you note for all the modders/community members here.

I bought this game years ago and while I enjoyed the basic premise (being completely ignorant of D&D stuff back then) it was the bugs (damn them to the fiery pits of gaming hell!!) that drove me away.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago...I find my discs in a box full of old stuff from my last moving..haha!

So I decide to give the game a go but this time I think I have an idea to overcome the bugs. So I search and search until I find this brilliant co8 site (not that it was THAT difficult, mind you) and you can imagine the look in my face when I started reading the modding threads!

I decided to write this because of one experience in particular...

I finished reading LoTR for the (insert number of your choice here)th time and I thought why not try the game with characters from the books and what I perceived their classes and skills would be in the ToEE universe?

And so my LoTR party was born (please dont flame me! I am NO expert in these matters, it was only my perception and what I could gather from the in-game manual):

Aragorn. Human ranger, wields a bastard sword (i know, i know!), wears leather armor.
    Gimli. Dwarf fighter (easiest one..hahaha!)
    Legolas. Elf ranger (archery skills)
    Gandalf. Human (i know, i know!) wizard (uses everything but necromancy, conjuration and evocation)
    Arwen. Elf bard (most difficult one to adapt but I always found her character "inspiring" in the books)

I decided to leave it at that as I have never been partial to Boromir and 3 (with 5.0.0 modpack) halflings seemed a bit to much...hahaha!

In the end I got my party's collective a## handed to me and it became unplayable very early on. I think it was because I tried to rp a bit too much. I mean, a ranger with a bastard sword in front-line combat??? a wizard with no evocation spells??

Anyways...It was all worthwhile for that single, completely-off-the-awesomeness-chart moment when, with this party, I decided to check out all the houses ...and finally coming to Frank's house:

:yikes:

WTF???

:angry:

Thou shalt not pass!!!

It just made my day and I had to come here and give mucho props to whoever made it possible! (not familiar with the place yet).

I will now go and try the 5.0.3 modpack while I make a new party that's a bit more viable.

You guys, (and gals if there are any..hehehe) are beyond brilliant! :thumbsup:

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

The Desperate Housewives quest is a ShiningTed original. Blame him!

:point:

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ahhh, Mr Currency, you've made my day with that line :D

Now, to be anal... why wouldn't Gandalf use evocation? He wasn't above just frying things, eg the wargs and goblins in The Hobbit or more wargs in the Ring Goes South.

And come to think of it, where's the ring mail for Gimli? When did D&D lose ring mail?

And just wtf happened to broadswords????

4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

It can be done. However it hasn't been present
    in the 3.0 corebook. I have it in my Arms and
    Equipment guide.

5. legal tender

legal tender Member

You are absolutely right there. It's just that for some reason I tend to think of him as the sort of character who is not overtly powerful in the oh-im-so-gonna-kick-yer-arse sort of way. I always thought of him as the one who would get you out of deep sh-tuff by indirect means (like the time he made Bilbo leave the ring when he set out to Rivendell).

About weapons and armor, etc. I was not complaining at all (sorry if it came across that way!) I'm actually very happy and thankful for the mods the way they are.

It was just very, very funny to watch that poor lvl 2, bastardsword wielding, featless ranger try to face those freaking lizards. In particular given the idea I have of the original character as a very powerful one.

But yeah Lord_Spike, now I know Shiningted is the one to blame!

Thank you and keep up the good work!

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

And, according to urban legend, keep a watchful eye for that vampire who lives in a cellar in Hommlet. *grin*

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

He wiped out my last party, b*****d! :vampire:

And you didn't come across as complaining, Legal Tender - not in the slightest.

Btw, I really don't have a problem with Anduril as a bastard sword. Maybe that just me.

8. legal tender

legal tender Member

What what! a vampire you say!?

I shall destroy that abomination at once! :anger:

But...er...uhmm? so...where exactly would one go to buy copious amounts of garlic? 'cause you know, my fighters use blades, my cleric is useless in combat :errf: and I don't think my wizard has the minerals to get that staff of his into said vampire's pectoral cavity...

Can you imagine?? :poke:

9. OldSchoolGamer

OldSchoolGamer Lurking Sith

Coup de Grace, my friend. Decapitation will kill a vampire just as surely as staking.

Or Searing Light.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
Our Host!