Quarterstaff damage

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Great Snook, Jan 20, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

I was just checking out the manual for the game and I found the way they presented the quarterstaff odd. It lists the damage as 1d6/1d6. Is that the same as 2d6 or does the staff get two attacks per round and each one does 1d6? If that is the case at higher levels how many attacks can someone pull off with a quarterstaff? Does this make it potentially one of the best weapons in the game with the proper crafting?

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

This means that the quarterstaff can be used as a double weapon.
    However, ToEE doesn't support double-ended weapons and you
    can fight the quarterstaff with only one of its ends.

3. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

Ah that stinks. I had visions of eight attacks per round with each one doing 1-6 and then additional fire, lightening, etc. damage.

This brings up a followup question. Is there a table that determines how many attacks per round a character gets? I didn't find one in the manual.

4. perk1973

perk1973 Member

Although that would be nice, things don't quite work that way. Even if the double weapon rules were implemented, you would only get one extra attack per round at your highest attack bonus minus the two-weapon penalties (per the Player's Handbook p. 160).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  5. maggit

Unless both ends were enchanted.

6. perk1973

perk1973 Member

The entire weapon would be enchanted, not one end or the other. A single weapon can't have different enchantments on each side.

7. maggit

But it's a double weapon, you know. At least in PnP.

8. perk1973

perk1973 Member

Hmmm, I just peeked in the DMG and I see that each head can indeed have different enchantments. (That'll teach me to look before I type). I still don't see any reason you would get more than one attack with the second head, however.

9. maggit

The point with quartestaff is that you can but you
    don't have to use it as a double weapon. And I didn't
    make that up, it's the rules.

10. perk1973

perk1973 Member

Oh, I understand you don't have to use it as a double weapon. The point I'm making is that when you are, it doesn't matter how many attacks per round you get. The other end (or the off-hand) only gets one attack per round, regardless.

11. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Yes, but, two attacks are better than one. You can use it as only a single weapon, and get one attack per round. Or, you can use it as a double weapon, and get two attacks per round. I think the Two Weapon Fighting rules apply to it as well, so you could potentially buff it with Improved Two Weapon Fighting and get a second offhand attack, etc...

12. perk1973

perk1973 Member

Oh absolutely! All of the Two-Weapon rules apply and the off-end is even automatically considered a light weapon for those purposes. I was just pointing out that you wouldn't get double attacks by using a double weapon.

13. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

I thought in the second post Maggit said they didn't work in ToEE or does the game treat them as using two weapons and all the appropriate feats would apply. I don't often replay games, but now I'm curious about an all staff weilding party going through the game. I'm thinking Cashel from the David Drake books.

14. maggit

We were arguing about the PnP then. Dual-weapons are not
    supported in ToEE, dual-wielding of two different weapons is.

15. perk1973

perk1973 Member

Sorry about that Great Snook. We drifted off into a PnP discussion, there. As Maggit said, None of this applies to ToEE. Staffs in the game are, as far as I know, just 2-handed weapons that get no additional benefits at all.

To answer your second question: the number of attacks each class gets is listed in the class charts in the manual (Starting on page 34) under the heading Base Attack Bonus. All characters start with one attack at either +0 or +1. Anytime you see a second number added to that, they get another attack. For instance: 6th level Barbarians have +6/+1, meaning two attacks. The charts only go to 10th level, but the progression beyond that is exactly the same.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
Our Host!