Edit FONT's .fnt

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Everald, Jan 4, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Everald

Everald Member

Hi,
    please how i can edit fonts in ToEE?
    Im from center europe and i need this symbols "ěÅ¡čřžýáíé".
    Exist a program or tool for this?
    Fonts is .fnt but this is not compatible whit editors for wondows FNT font...

Help me...
    Thanx

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Your going to need the .dat extractor (in the tools section somewhere) and extract ToEE1.dat in your Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil folder. Then the fonts are in the art\interface\fonts section.

When you have modded them, put them back in your data folder (so a new fonts folder will go in the current art\interface folder, if u r using Co8 5.0.x).

The new fonts we have added so far on occasion have only been done in jpg/tga files, not as actual fonts for writing, so you will be breaking new ground afaik :)

3. Everald

Everald Member

Its ok,
    but i need edit this font (no only edit design, but add new characters) and when i edit jpg/tga then i can edit only design (i think?).

Have you got somebody some programme for their editing?

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Try checking the member lists for someone who is also from your region/area. They may be able to converse with you in a common language to help you find what you need. Maggit is from eastern Europe, if that's close to you. Maybe he can help. Send him a PM.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  5. Everald

Everald Member

Thank you...

6. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I don't know if this helps but here is the
    Polish version of the FONTS folder. However
    I can't tell if it had been altered by the
    localisation crew. To be honest Polish does not
    have much diacritics in common with Czech
    I think that German has more in common since
    the "umlaut" symbols kinda resemble háčeks at
    least when it comes to vowels. ;) Nevertheless, I
    hope this helps.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Hmm I'm not even sure if it's legal to leave such
    files here... I mean if they were modded it's okay
    but they're kinda not... So if some of the mods finds
    this to break the law just remove the attachment.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  7. Everald

Everald Member

Hi Maggit,
    can you tell me who make a Poland translate? What team or some people? And possible have you some contact?

I check original and your posted fonts and within small diference are probably equal. I think it muss be some option to apply special characters. But i dont know where can i find it. Some .mes file or else.

When i use your font i have blank field there, where are a special symbols (hacky carky). But without this fonts have wrap rows on fields where is spec. symbol.

8. maggit

Well it's been taken from the official Polish
    version, you know. But if you have to know
    it's CD PROJEKT. I doubt if they provide you
    with any hints. I think that someone of the Troika
    team would be a more competent person for this
    since they are the ones who wrote the engine.

9. Everald

Everald Member

Please,
    i have one last question:
    can you give me your polish version of MainMenu.mes and help.tab file?
    It is in mes folder. I muss check your polish translate if is only text or have some symbol agents (alternate symbols or i dont know how it define).

Its last thing. Your files i never use in my job, i only check or compare this files.

10. maggit

Where are those files? I mean I have help.tab
    but it's been overwritten by Co8 version of it,
    which means it's now in English, but I can't locate
    Mainmenu.mes...

11. Everald

Everald Member

MainMenu.mes is in ToEE3.dat. But this file is extract only if menu of your game is translated. (Nowa gra :mrhappy: - or somethink else but not New Game).

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Maggit: you'll find mainmenu.mes in your data.KotB / rules folder, where we have been tinkering with it, but not in your Co8.data / rules folder because it hasn't been modded there.

13. maggit

Yep, my main menu is in Polish. OK, I
    extracted it from toee3.dat Here you go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  14. ProphetPX

ProphetPX Node Ravager

Re: Edit FONT's .fnt / plus 6s and 8s look the same?

Speaking of FONTS, I searched the forums and this thread seemed to be the first and "most relevant" thread to come up so i am going to post my question here, if that is ok?

I am currently playing TOEE with the Atari Patch 2, and Co8 v5.0.0 FULL mods applied, and I execute / run both from The TOEE Front End (TOEEFE?) and, having started (now playing) a new game recently from that point. (and I have played the "stock form" of the game, in the past, also).

Here is my issue / problem:

I have had a rather hard problem of being able to tell "6"s from "8"s with the current font that is in TOEE (the default USA / English or "en-us" font - however it is declared in the game data?) - is there a way to request that someone edit those 2 characters to make the distinctions between them more clear? "0"s (zeroes) seem ok but 6s and 8s seem to look very much alike and it bothers me when i cannot tell the difference (and no my vision is not that bad, it is the font, i swear)

if it is not able to be done in the newest Co8 update or any Atari patches, then can someone tell me how to do it? I assume I can follow the same instructions that people here have already given to the previous poster about editing fonts from the special characters in the eastern european areas, if i use the same logic, tools, and skills required, I assume?

Otherwise I wanted to add a very gracious THANK YOU for all the material I have found online, courtesy of all you modders and players and support people and designers and such! AMAZING INFO on here and on Sorceror's.net !!!!! I LOVE the Co8 5.0 patch so far, even tho i have yet to explore much of it (I just started playing it, but my "6 and 8 font problem" was something i always noticed even in the stock / non-modded version of the game)

Can anyone help? I might just have to repost this somewhere else if i don't see too many replies by a certain period of time .... Thanks in advance!

15. Hipphappsero

Hipphappsero Member

Hello!
    I want to translate the game into hungarian, but for that i need some accentuated letters, for example á ö ő.
    I tried to extract ToEE1.dat, and and overwrite the FONTS folder with the polish version, but it didn't workd and i don't know, why not. I tryed that i put them back in your data folder or i make from the files again a ToEE1.dat, but none of them works.
    Is there any solution, or i need to write the texts without accents? :(

Our Host!