Moathouse dungeon CTD

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pere Ubu, Jul 16, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

OOoooookay - I could have SWORN it used to work, but I've started a new game with the 5.0.0 mod and dammit, I've cleared out the ground level of the Moathouse and when I try to go downstairs to the dungeon - *bing* CTD! TOEE never USED to do this.

Should I reinstall? Might it be the saved game file? Is it sunspots? Am I laboring under a curse? And what of Naomi? (Name THAT reference, I dare you!)

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

clear the map cache and delete the pyc files ... see if that fixes it

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Pere - let's get your initial problem sorted as it may be related to this one :)

4. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Well, here's a silly question - where are the pyc files, exactly?

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The PYC files are in this folder, the data\scr folder path of your ToEE parent folder.

the default folder
    C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\scr

Do NOT delete any of the files with the PY extension, just delete the files with the PYC extension. You can sort the folder by TYPE and the PYC files will all be located after the PY files.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

<sigh> deleting pyc folders has yet to be proven to solve a single problem, lets think before we speak people? A few seconds of thought and folks will remember that this is a common problem (even mentioned in the Common Problems and Solutions thread) and the standard fix for this problem is delete all SAVE GAMES (and start again - its a game-killer).

We might also think about sector-sorting the existing maps, I strongly suspect this is one issue that will solve.

7. Demicore

Demicore è_é

Damn, sorry to bump an old thread, but I had the exact same problem as the OP and got it fixed with krunch's suggestion. Thanks man :rock:

8. Shiningted

Sorry, you fixed it how? Deleting the pyc files? Clearing the map cache? Both?

9. Phil

Phil Member

I get this problem constantly - basically every time I close ToEE then restart it.

What works for me is re-installing the Co8 5.0.0 package eacg time, it takes about 2-3 minutes but sets me up for a few hours play so I don't really mind.

I tried deleting the pyc files and it never helped, but I'd always wondered how to delete/clear the map cache as I have a strong hunch that would probably solve it too...

So how do you manually clear the map cache ?

10. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Delete everything in the maps\ folder that's not a folder. ;)

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hi all:
    If you're using the TOEEFE, (front end loader) you can just click on Clean Game Cache on Start Up, last option on the right. :)

12. Shiningted

Maggit, please forgive me for elaborating at length :notworthy

Phil, in your modules / Co8 5.0.0 / maps folder (or modules / ToEE / maps since you are not using FrontEnd) you will find folders for each map that Co8 has modified, plus a bunch of garbage files the game automaticaly compiles. 'Clearing the cache' involved deleting those files (but not the folders). It will mean the game takes a while longer to run afterwards, as it recompiles those files to match the new Co8 content. You only have to do it once after each new install / update, not every time you play.

13. Demicore

Demicore è_é

Yea I did both deleting the pyc files and the map cache and it fixed it for me.

14. Shiningted

Well if you were getting a CTD i think it is fair to say it was cleaing the cache that did the trick: whatever may be said about pyc files, clearing them or not will not solve a CTD-on-map-change issue, whereas adding new mobs to a previously visited map WILL cause a CTD.

15. Demicore

Demicore è_é

Okay thanks.

Our Host!