About killing Iuz

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by superworm, Jan 10, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Member

Before I got to C08 and installed any mods from here, and before I knew about console commands, I did a nice little game where I tarted up my characters with stupidly high stats using the roll bug, so that I had 2 chars with STR of over 80...
    Rescued Thrommel, sent him to his death soloing a few giants, grabbed his gear, went back to hommlet, res'd his, he said thanks for the rescue, and went off.
    And a few days later his knight meets me and gives me scather, so I've got the both.

It's ridiculously overpowered when you have two chaotic good guys wielding these swords each with madly high strength...

Note though, while I was doing this, I was confused about the whole Bastard Sword / Greatsword thing, here is what I found:

Without Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword - Scather can be held only in 2H. Fragarach can be held only in 2H

With Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword - Scather can be held only in 2H. Fragarach be 1H or 2H

then later I added WF: Greatsword to the guy with Scather and he got the +1 bonus ok

Scather's definetly a Greatsword and Fragarach's a Bastard Sword.

unless any of your mods change that, but that's how it is vanilla.

2. Firesprung

Firesprung Member

From the original module, Fragarach is Chaotic Good as it is here. Also in the WoG setting, Prince Thrommel is a Paladin and a Knight of the Heart, both indicating he would be Lawful Good by nature, so how does this jive? ( It always struck me as odd too when doing the PnP game years and years ago.) So, is Thrommel using Fragarach in ToEE and just dealing with the penalties? Seems strange from a RP standpoint. Also, why is Scather also CG in alignment when the description states that the other swords crafted were of differnt alignments? It would jive better to have Fragarach as a LG sword, and Scather listed as CG as it is currently.

3. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Well, the whole purpose behind Co8 is to keep the game as true to the PnP version as possible. Now, Scather is CG, but if you look at the other Aswering swords, they're LG, LE, CE, NG, and NE (I believe that's how they are. None of them can be Neutral on the good/evil scale.) So, while Scather is coincidentally CG (same alignment as Frag), the other swords are by far of varying alignments. We just don't see that because none of them were in the Temple of Elemental Evil module, if I'm not mistaken. GameBanshee.com posted up a lot of info about the PnP game, and that has been my only source for it. I'll put in the link in a moment as soon as I get it.

EDIT: Link
    http://gamebanshee.com/templeofelementalevil/magicitems/fragarach.php

Hmm... it appears I read about the swords of answering somewhere else. Probably in one of the D&D books... I'll do a bit of research and see if I can dig up which one.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  4. Phil

Phil Member

You realise of course if you deem Fragarach to be anything other than Chaotic Good, it does rather throw the Lawful Evil opening Vignette into some difficulty :)

5. Phil

Phil Member

re. the LG thing,

from http://www.enworld.org/archive/index.php/t-26499.html

http://www.greyhawk-codex.com/codex/greyhawk/journals/oj12.pdf doesn't work anymore as the domain has been taken over by evil domain squatters :(

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I believe Lord_Spike has posted about this previously on these forums, in some detail I might add. Basically it boils down to that while Prince Thrommel has the title of "Paladin" he is in fact a fighter, or perhaps even a cavelier.

7. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

Can you imagine if Thrommel were to use some ioun stones while dual-wielding Frag. & Scather and deciding whether or not double-crossing some orcs (excuse me, goblins. err . . .) would cause him to fall? Now that would be a co8 discussion . . . :suprised:

8. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

All I can say is
    Brilliant words.

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

As long as no-one mentions 0rion79, pirate/ranger/dentists, and that ghost in Emriddy Meadows, we'll be fine and dandy. ;)

10. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Ghost in Emeridy Meadows? Now I know I missed something here.

11. Firesprung

Firesprung Member

OK - will have to look at my copy of ToEE, but I distinctly remember him being referred to a Paladin - believe it or not in a seperate Greyhawk sourcebook as well. I think this is just an oversite on the publisher's part that became canon by default.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

As well as Spike's words of wisdom, there was at one time a post from someone linking "Journal of Oerth" II i 12, wherein is an interview with Gygax where he says, and I do quote:

"It was an editorial error. That sword should have been designated LG".

Thus spake E.G.G. But for the anally argumentative, it must be mentioned Thrommel was a Paladin Lord, not a paladin. Make of it what you will.
    I actually incorporated that into my unfinished (and practically abandoned) Thrommel fix, using the "I called for Fragarach" mp3 line from Thrommel's dlg.

13. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Member

You may have this backwards. I have been playing 5.0.0 to 5.0.3 and my Ranger has the Exotic Wpn Prof and has successfully wielded Scather with a crafted Short Sword...

14. Phil

Phil Member

I don't have it backwards, that's how it was without any Co8 mods, just Atari's Patch 3.

If it got changed by Co8 I haven't noticed yet....but i'm intrigued enough to check now :)

15. TimSmith

TimSmith Established Member

I have no quotes to back me up on this, but I believe there were non-LG paladins in Gary's home games which never made it into the official rules. After all, why should LG be the only alignment to have champions, in a non-Arthurian multi-alignment world? The Cavalier class in 1st ed Unearthed Arcana was an Arthurian style spin-off of this.

From the point of view of an official product, though, it had to be an editorial oversight, as Gary said in Ted's quote. You can ret con this by making Thrommel a Cavalier if you are so inclined:mrhappy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!