5.0.3 rar install query

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Phil, Jan 10, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Phil

Phil Member

I've just unrar'd the 5.0.3 bundle into my ToEE directory, no problems in doing so, all seems to have gone to the correct place...

When I run ToEE, the start screen says I'm running 5.0.0

It all seems to be installed correctly but shouldn't it read 5.0.3 ? or not?

How can I validate things ?

2. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Oh, don't worry about that. Everything should be installed fine. Highlight the Co8 5.0.0, and in the small window to the right, it should say that ver. 5.0.3 is installed.

3. Phil

Phil Member

well yeah, that's only in ToEEFE which I don't use because it's broken, I was referring to the game itself...

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Phil, you're kind of throwing this 'broken' language around willy-nilly. The fact that the front end has proven to work for maybe 99% of its users would suggest that it is in fact not broken and that the problem more likely lies with you, the user.

Question: did you perform due diligence and check for sources that might address your problem with front end, such as the Common Issues & Solutions thread?

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Adding the CMF - which uses the frontend file structure (designed for fronend users) to a non-frontend instalation (which I assume yours is, from what you describe in your posts Phil) is just asking for trouble...

best case scenario; some of the fixes won't be working properly (anything in the modules folder),
    worst case scenario; CTD's all over the place and a pretty unstable game all round.

6. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Phil, if you look, I think you will find installation instructions for non-Front End installs in the very same post you downloaded 5.0.3 from. Actually, I know you will, because I wrote the freaking install instructions. Now, I know it's a long post, and there is a lot of information there, and it may take a long time to read, but you really should read the whole post thoroughly before asking questions.

But back to the instructions. In the second paragraph after the bright blue "Installation Instructions" the very first line says
    Note that it does not say to unpack it into your root directory, but into a temporary folder. At this point I would suggest going back to that post and (re-)reading that paragraph.

By now you are probably getting quite irritated by all this, but you do not know how many times I have edited and re-edited that post, and added color and bold text, to try to make it as clear as possible. And yet it seems no one reads it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  7. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

If I were you I'd be more careful with words, pal.
    There are more specific words than just 'broken' as well, if you have a problem to report you are welcome to do it, you know. If you don't have a problem and just don't like the idea of using a front-end, no one makes you actually use it or even try to use it, so don't complain. ToEEFE, just like many other front-ends (take GarrettLoader for Thief: DS for instance), is known to cause problems for some users, but also has great statistics as a program that works and works well for the majority of people.

P.S. Speaking of other front-ends, GarrettLoader never worked for my installation of Thief: Deadly Shadows, but I know it's my problem somewhere and not the front-end's. ;) I just never cared enough to find out what the problem was.

- Agetian

8. Phil

Phil Member

sorry, when I said "broken" I was referring to the error described here: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4554

Whch from what some other people had said I had taken to be a very common problem and not just something wrong with mine...in which case a known bug.

If that is not the case then I am mistaken.

anyway, it is only "broken" with respect to launchuing the game, and works perfectly well for switching settings and options around, it too correctly detects that version 5.0.3 is present, as one of you asked me to check (I could already see that) but this is all really besides the point, as I was only questioning whether or not the main ToEE screen, the one with the horizontal scrolling animation of inside the temple, with the "new game, load game, tutorial, quit" options, should display "Co8 5.0.0" or "Co8 5.0.3"

9. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Yes it should. There's just too much work with changing this little
    thing.

10. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

This problem usually comes from one of two things: either an incorrect installation on the user's end, or some background software scanning the ToEE folder when ToEEFE is working (e.g. antivirus, antispyware software etc.).

- Agetian

11. Phil

Phil Member

if only lsof existed for windows :)

anyone got any ideas how I might debug/diagnose this ?

Our Host!