Dialog Structure Questions

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Manduran, Jan 4, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Manduran

Manduran Member

Re: Dialog/Python Commands

Hi everybody!

I'm really new to moddimg ToEE, but I already read a lot and would like to try it out :)

So, I have two questions to the dialog structure.

a) The last {} in a pc line is an trigger telling the game to do s.th. When you find an B: string in the pc line, most dialogs have an pc.banter(npc) trigger, telling the game to open a store interface, so that the pc and the npc can trade.
    Some of the original dialogs do not have that trigger (i.e. Otis'), however, trading is possible and the pc line will open the shop interface.

Does anybody know, when this trigger should be set and when it is not needed or even must not be there?

b) The lines in the original dialogs line number > 10000 seem to be single npc lines for many different situations. Some for shop interface, some probably for short sentences the npx just says without starting a dialog. There are no pc replies.

Does anybody know which line numbers are for which situation? They seem to be pretty similar within all the dialogs, so I assume the game has a table somewhere just holding the line number to be displayed for each special situation.

I searched the forum and I tried to find a able or similar in the .mes and the proto.tab, but I could not find something...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards,
    Manduran

2. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Hi Manduran,

Nice to see a new face. If you check out this thread there is a pdf version of Shiningteds dialogue tutorial, should answer your questions.

Good Luck.

Cuchulainn.

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Check out the SirToejam tutorial in the downloads section. It has a lot of good stuff in it.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ooo, sensible questions... hmmm...

a) I make a practise of using both B: and pc.barter(npc), but I am not sure which does what. B: by itself should implement a generic comment, eg "let me look at your wares, saucy bar-wench" which will then be bypassed by anythin you add after B:, but as you say, there are certainly situations where pc.barter(npc) doesn't get used. I say, go with what works, and wait for the bug feedback ;)

b) Somewhere in one of my early tutorials there is a template that contains explanations of most of those later lines. By and large they are either for shopkeepers ("now hold on there, this NPC wanted to sell me the +3 flaming greatsword you just crafted for him, you wait your turn") or NPC followers ("my pack is full!") or both. Note that many of the NPC follower lines don't function in game, despite being both written and recorded, or in the case of the tagged scenery lines ("wow look at those doors") only function occasionally.

5. Manduran

Manduran Member

Hi everybody,

WOW! ;)

Thanx for your answers, they should help a lot!
    I'll definetely read through the tutorial.

(Yeah, I LOVE tutorials... :-D )

Regards,
    Manduran

Our Host!