So no saves at all then

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Fortran, Dec 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Fortran

Fortran Member

So, I take it you cannot save a game at all with this game, yes? I have had 3 game saves become corrupted - 1 from using quicksave and 2 from using normal saves.

What ..do they expect everyone to go Ironman? I mean, c'mon, wtf.

It always seems to become corrupt at the same point ...after I get where I can use Fireballs/Lightning Bolts. I never pick those spells, I always buy them from Burne and copy/scribe for both my wizards. As soon as this point comes around, bam - corrupted. I have heard it said that quicksaves are bad and don't use them, ok fair enough ...but not normal saves either?? Damn.

Has anyone had this bug happen? I patched to atari 2 then C08 5.0.0 ..then the 5.0.3 patch.

Its very annoying ...I have decided I wil not start over, yet again. I minds well play something that I can actually play through.

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Hmmm Try cleaning up cache first. If this
    doesn't do the job try a reinstall. Also save
    often and on different slots. (I myself had
    only once my save games corrupted but
    I know this happens often to people).

3. webusver

webusver Established Member

Perhaps you need to delete all **.pyc files :) This remitment can be done in data/scr folder. (or smth like that)

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

generally speaking, saved games are module specific, what I mean is a game which was saved using co8-4.0.0 will appear corrupted in 5.0.x. Did you add any new mods to your install after you started the game?

5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I was thinking that another factor may be to delete the actual corrupted saves from your system. I've had occasions when saves repeatedly corrupt until I do that. That's why I make so many saves when I play (4 or 5) - one of them usually escapes corruption.

Just odd that it 'always' happens at the same point which makes me think that Allyx is closer to gold than me (not that that is unusual ;) )

6. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Member

Also try not to save during combat...

7. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

ToEE is known to corrupt things from time to time, but personally it never happened to me. I'd recommend the following general rules of "safe playing": don't save in the middle of combat, don't reuse saves from another mod (generally, try to avoid using older saved games in new mod versions as well - although some of them are compatible, some others are known to cause problems and saved game corruption), try not to have CPU-intensive processes running in the background while playing ToEE (e.g. antiviruses and anti-spyware software, etc.).

My friend's installation of ToEE was known to cause saved game corruption whenever a certain antivirus package was running in the background. As soon as he turned it off, the problems disappeared.

I'd say that the saved game corruption problem is not just a problem of the Co8 mod but a problem of ToEE in general. Just one of those heavier bugs that no one crushed just yet (it'd be quite hard to crush this bug because it's very deep and goes deep into DLL-hacking issues).

- Agetian

8. Fortran

Fortran Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

@Allyx: No, I've installed nothing beyond atari patch 2, then 5.0.0 then the 5.0.3 patch. I didn't know they had another mod besides co8's awesome mod. Really, I agree that its probably ToEE itself and not the mod that is causing this. From all I've read, this game came out buggy as heck and it took the modding community to even halfways fix it, heh.

I guess I could delete the *.pyc files, if you guys feel that may help, but I would just hate to get to that same place and get corrupted again ...4 times is 3 times too many, if you get me.

Heres what I do: Once my 2 wizards get to 5th level and have access to Fireball/Lightning Bolt spells, I buy both of them from Burne so I can pick 4 other spells for my 2 mages. Then, I save it, copy it to my spellbook (may have to reload if the spellcraft didn't work) and then scribe them for the other mage and rinse/repeat. Every time its become corrupted its at this point ...I'm beginning to think it maybe the fireball/lightning bolt scrolls from Burne...? Who knows. I just find it curious that it doesn't happen sooner than that or later, but just at that point.

9. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Are you saving the game in Burne's Tower? I would try saving the game on a different map than the one you have been trying, preferably an empty one or one that doesn't have much on it, like upstairs at the Welcome Wench Inn.

10. perk1973

perk1973 Member

Indeed. Inside the tower is the only place I ever run into this bug. But at least 1 in 4 saves made there is not only corrupt, it also corrupts previously GOOD saves made in the tower.

Our Host!