Experience for disarming traps

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Leopold, Dec 22, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Leopold

Leopold Member

I recently started a new game with the 5.0.3 bundle and the XP reduction mod. When entering Hommlet, Kent informs me that failing to disarm traps will not grant an XP reward, which I assume is from one of Livonya's early modifications (though it may not be!).

The problem is that I am rewarded experience for failing to disarm the trap on Jaroo's chest, and that reward is actually double the amount I'm given for a successful attempt: 30, over 15. Needless to say, receiving 450 points for essentially doing nothing spoils the fun of a reduced XP game somewhat.

Is there a simple fix to deactivate this failed attempt reward? I haven't tested it, but I wouldn't imagine the problem is isolated to Jaroo's grove. Thanks!

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I experienced this problem too. At first I thought it was my
    install or I missed something but in the console, but I see
    the problem is existent.

3. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

I think the notification (i.e. floating text that you've received xp) when failing to disarm a trap is a hardcoded .dll feature and thus not easily modifiable--but the actual awarding of xp should A) only happen when you successfully disarm the trap and B) conform to the xp reduction level you're playing at. At least that's how I understand it, I'm sure someone will correct my assumption if I'm wrong.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You guys haven't been listening to Kent very closely. In addition to his statement above, he goes on to say that the rolls window will still say you are receiving XP, but that you actually aren't, and that his 'master' (Livonya) was unable to change that.

Daydreaming adventurers :paper: . . . not a good sign for the start of your campaign. :shame: ;)

5. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Ermm Whoopsie. Oh look a tiger!
    :Crazy_Tig

--------------------------------------
    But seriously, now I remember,
    there really was something about
    the "master" being unable to change
    this.

6. Leopold

Leopold Member

Thanks guys,

However, though I do realize Kent assures us only the text is existent, my experience point level actually climbs as the trap attempts are made. For example, I begin at 105 points for the entire party, and after each attempt, the character sheet reads I have 30 more points, meaning 135 points altogether after one try. I've reached over 500 because of this, and, though I haven't attempted a level-up, I'm fairly certain I could achieve one with a character who would only spin his wheels on the DC rating.

I thought perhaps the XP modification or some other mod relating to traps had changed Livonya's block, as it were, but I don't know whether this is true or how to check.

EDIT: I'm going to try clearing my game cache. If that works, I'll come back.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

The XP award for traps was re-enabled by CtB when he fixed the traps so they only fire once when you trip them. However, there is still a bug where if you trip them by failing to Disable Device on them, they keep going off and keep awarding XP. At last mention he was looking in to resolving this problem.

There is another related bug where the traps offer more XP for settting them off than they do for disarming. By the rules, this should be the same amount.

8. Leopold

Leopold Member

Hm, but Jaroo's trap never goes off, it seems, unless it never had an effect in the first place. I simply fail to remove it and am allowed to reap 30 points ad infinitum.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  9. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I disabled the code Livonya put in to remove the experience gained from failing to disarm traps. IIRC according to the rules you should gain experience this. The with it was that the trap reset, and you could continue to try to disarm the trap and fail and get more XP, over and over again. I fixed it so once the trap fires, it does not reset (or at least I think I did). I will have to look at this again.

10. Leopold

Leopold Member

Thanks, Cerulean. I'll test the jeweler's chest, as well, to make certain it's not isolated.

As an idle fancy, perhaps Kent's dialog file regarding traps could be removed, now that it's no longer true. Also, it seems odd that the reward for failing the trap was twice as much as succeeding. Ah, well, those are both minor points.

11. Cerulean the Blue

Kent's dialog will be altered if the changes make it into a official release. Right now 5.0.x is a beta (so issues like this can be found), so his dialog remains unaltered. I only disabled Liv's code, not removed it. I can re-enable easily, and it looks like I may need to do just that.

12. Leopold

Leopold Member

Cerulean,

Your editing of Livonya's script may not be at fault. After raiding the orc cave, the trap set on the chest there set off once, as it should, I received 15 points of experience, and the box opened as normal.

Perhaps the problem lies with Hommlet, or Jaroo's chest in particular: Since no effect is ever set off by Jaroo's treasure, maybe the trap is failing to spawn, and one is allowed to continually test a device that isn't there.

In any case, thanks for your attention. I understand about beta and hope this information helps.

13. Cerulean the Blue

Very good Leopold. :)

I did some testing, and indeed there was a problem with the trap script for Jaroo's chest. The game was firing the trap (and thus giving the experience), but the script would fail before the affects were applied and the script was set to not fire again. That meant the trap would never be disarmed after firing, so you could keep getting experience from it yet take no damage.

I have managed to fix the script, and it seems to be working as intended now. I'll post it in the 5.0.x CMF thread.

14. Leopold

Leopold Member

Ah, that's great. I'm glad it was a small problem, i.e. one chest, rather than a larger one, i.e. every chest. Thank you for the fix!

15. webusver

webusver Established Member

Just yesterday I tested Moathouse' tower's chest. At first I failed to disarm and gained experience. I noticed this increase in both dialog window and PC's stat window. Then I failed again and at the third attempt finally disarmed the trap. In all cases I noticed increase of exp in both windows - dialog and PC's stats. The same thing was noticed in the orc's cave where all of my heroes gained about 200 exp from the chest and became ready for levelup.
    I use CMF 5.0.3.

Our Host!