Can I have the bugfixes without the mods?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Elhoim, Dec 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Elhoim

Elhoim Member

Hi! I´m gonna play the game for the first time and I want to have play the game unmodded but with as many bugfixes at possible. I tried the Co8 Mod Pack, and many changes seem nice for someone who has already beaten the game, and want a bigger challenge and new stuff in it´s game. It´s nice, but I would like to play the game for the first time with it´s original balance. It is possible?

Thanks!

2. tommy1017

tommy1017 Member

atari put out patches that should fix a minimum amount of bugs. you need to search there site for them.
    however if you expect to ever use these mods only use up to patch 2 even though they put out three!
    however these mods, when installed properly, fix way ,more bugs, and you get help from people here unlike some other sites ;)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  3. Elhoim

Elhoim Member

Yeah, I know the modpack fixes lots of bugs, alongside with lots of rebalancing. I was wondering if, for example, I only replaced the temple dll. Would I have the bugfixes it has without the added content and rebalance?

Thanks!

4. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

By trhe way, there's a question I'm pondering about for quite some time now :

Is there a *lot* of text in the mods ?

I mean - would it make sense to translate the stuff into German, or is it just too much ?

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@Elhoim; Most of the new content can be avoided fairly easilly, but first I suppose you need to know what to avoid doing in your game. The Co8 mods do fix a vastly larger number of bugs that the official patches do, and offer a much more stable game at the same time.

Most of the temple.dll fixes actually require support from other files in the fix to make the fixes work (whether by script file or other files) using the .dll alone will probably cause more problems than it will solve, and could make the game more unstable than with the atari patches.

@Alrik; take a look at the files Morpheus included in the Gulp for an idea of which files would need to be translated, most of the *.tab and *.mes files could probably be taken straight from the Gulp, but some will have been edited since (description.mes for example has at grown considerably since Atari patch 2, and there are lots of others with edits and additions that will need translating too) not to mention every single .dlg file that has been altered since patch 2 as well. I dare say the use of a file compare program will ease the process as many files will be unedited since patch 2 (theres a good one on the downloads page - Beyond Compare) which will allow you to see the Co8 (english) files and Gulp (german) files side by side to easilly spot the differences, and additions, but it would still be a massive task to undertake, and the Co8 are constantly updating thier files with new fixes as well.

6. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

Thanks for the information.

I'll look into it later.

7. webusver

webusver Established Member

My another dream is that new patch version should include more detailed installation choice, so that I may be able to switch off or on a larger variety of mods.
    dream also of including MaxHP mod and Humble NPC's mod into the next patch.
    Though is't all right as it is now. It's good as Linux, I'd say, dreaming of Linux being as comfortable as Windows.

8. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

You get right on that webusver. When your done let us know and we will release it.

MaxHP and HumbleNPCs have already been integrated into the Front End loader. That is about as easy as they are going to get to use. If you use Front End you just check some boxes and they are enabled. If you don't use Front End, you should, but we still included the executables for both. They just aren't as easy to use.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

to anyone who's actually wondering about the Co8 mods vs Vanillia ToEE, almost all of the new content is optional in the game. It consists of respawns, added areas and additional dialogue. Avoiding the additional content isn't hard - infact we do seem to get quite a few posts asking for walkthroughts/spoilers on how to activate the new content, it's really quite unobtrusive.

the only things that are forced on a party afaik is the trap at dungeon level 4, the big three ambush (alignment dependant - as per module), R&G target of revenge (if you let one of them live), the assassin (I'm pretty sure this is a Co8 mod but I never sold any of lareths stuff playing vanillia ToEE so I don't know for sure) and a change in how your party will find black jays ring (also alignment dependant now). I can't think of anything else that is "forced" apon you with all the bug fixes we've done (with the exception of bug fixes that are new content).

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The assassin encounter was a Troika thing, Co8 just altered his equipment.

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Indeed, it was part of the original module, though it was meant to be roleplayed rather than a sudden ambush.

Our Host!