Need your help with patch

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Templar, Dec 25, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Templar

Templar Established Member

Hi everyone.

I recently made it through the game unpatched and just downloaded official patch 1 & 2. I also got the Co8 5.0 FINAL.

I followed the instructions and installed Patch 1 and 2 first of the official Atari ones. Then I installed the Co8 5.0 patch and I got the following message:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

That window came up. So I'm like okay, what went wrong here?

These are the specs of my computer.

Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHz
    2.84 GHz 512 MB RAM
    Windows XP Professional version 2002 Service Pack 2

I'm planning on upgrading my RAM this week.
    I'm really excited on playing this game with patches and mods and appreciate and respect all the hard work people have done to improve on this game with all the potential it has. I would like to give a money contribute to help, I'd just like to get this up and running and would appreciate any help offered.

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Did you get that message when you installed Co8 5.0.0 Final, or when you tried to run the game.

If it was when you tried to run the game, it sounds like you installed the Front End version, and tried to run Front End without the .NET framework installed. Read the installation instructions that come up when you install 5.0.0.

3. webusver

webusver Established Member

Perhaps it's time to get all fixes combined into a new one patch-file with the next version number? Dreams. Dreams.

4. Cerulean the Blue

Uhm, the .NET Framework is not a Co8 patich. It is made by Microsoft, and thus we will not include it in a Co8 release (I'm not even sure if we could legally).

5. Templar

thanks. The exact way it happened was I installed patch 1 & 2 and then Co8's 5.0 Final and then I noticed 3 executeables. The one with RT at the start which operates as it should and the TOEE which also continues to work fine and the Front End which when I clicked on it to launch it gave me this message window.

I did notice however on coming to your site the NET file needed. I checked my added and removed programs and I saw Net assistant and that was it for NET programs so maybe that is the problem.

I will uninstall TOEE and install NET then go from there and let you know how it goes :)

6. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

Would it be possible to include a simple check to see whether .net is there at all (installed on the machine) ? I think this would erase this confusion.
    Or at least put a readable warning into the installer, maybe a dialog box, before it proceeds.

7. Templar

where is that link to get NET cause it must be what I don't have. And just out of curiousity what does Net primary do and how does it help? thx

8. Templar

Okay I uninstalled the game and installed .Net Framework and then reinstalled the game with patches and its working perfectly now.

I don't know what that .Net thing did but it sure did the job.

I loved the voice work by the Jade Emperess, whoever did her did an excellent job. Its nice to have a bigger selection of stuff in the opening scene to select from as well.

I did find that Gremag's voice work was very good to, but with the picture he has I pictured his voice to sound more sly and crooked. This one sounds more honest but maybe thats good for being deceptive!

The little boy at the start said detecting traps is harder and I'm glad to hear that cause it seemed anyone could do it before just by walking into that area :)

I have a couple questions.

1. Is there any place I can buy wizard hats in different colors or a way of dying them?

2. One of my fighters likes to use bastard swords. In the regular game I just found regular ones and mastercraft ones ( i don't know what bonus mastercraft offers either ) I know there is that amazing sword fragnarach and I guess I can take it from him with the patch but is there any added ones like bastard sword +1 or any others?

3. will skills that didn't have much use in the regular like blind fight have more use?

thanks

9. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Masterwork weapons give +1 attack bonus (note
    NOT damage bonus, +1 weapons give both bonuses)
    As for weapons, I think you have to craft them, the
    vast majority of magic weapons are longswords.
    When it comes to skills, hmm I rarely use metamagic
    feats (though sometimes they are useful). Hmm
    about those dyed hats, I think one of the traders at
    Jade Empresses caravan had black ones... (which reminded
    me of the lack of a blue cape! My cleric has to have a blue
    cape just as CtB blue hair!)

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

1; no.
    2; masterwork armour reduces the armour check penalty by 1 point, masterwork weapons adds +1 to hit, and masterwork items can be made magical with the craft magical arms and armour feat.
    3; no.

11. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

God, I sometimes amaze myself how I freaking answer
    peoples questions. In fact I didn't answer any. :questionm
    Have to lay off the alcohol-filled candy, or something...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  12. Cerulean the Blue

There is indeed already a readable warning in a dialog box in the installer which states that you need the .NET Framework to use Front End, along with a link to Microsoft's web page where you can download the .NET Framework. People just never seem to read it. The installer also offers a non-Front End installation for those people who do not have and do not want to install the .NET Framework. What more can we do?

As for having the installer check to see if the .NET Framework in present, that is a question for Morpheus and Agetian.

@Templar: .NET is essentially a programing language that certain tool Agetian and Co. wrote for Co8 (Front End, WorldBuilder) are written in. Without the .NET Framework, those tools will not run.

13. Templar

I turned off the only map function I saw in the perference menu, but i'm pretty sure its the right one.
    my party has a human fighter, drawf fighter, human druid, elf wizard, human thief
    i'm not multi classing them. I'm wondering who I should bring with me on my journey that would be fun to have a long the way.....

14. Templar

Need to remove spell mod

Darmagon's New Spells is a mod I just downloaded but there is a conflict with it running.

Anyone know the files I can remove so I don't need to reinstall or how to back up the characters I spent a while making incase I do reinstall?

thnx

15. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

LOL ! :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) :D )

Our Host!