Missing weapon focus feats

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Lord_Radagast, Dec 19, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig Established Member

Most blunt weapons are categorized as simple weapons. Slashing and piercing weapons with decent crit ranges tend to land in the category of martial weapons. Compare the light mace (1d6/x2) with the short sword (1d6/19-20 x2). Same for morning star vs. long sword. Characters with simple weapon proficiency still have a selection of weapons with reasonable damage and a few reach weapons, but they won't have the better crit ranges or lower weight.

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Also, certain creatures, like skeletons, have DR that can only be penetrated by bludgeoning weapons. Though there's not too many in ToEE other than skeletons.

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

And then there are those various nasty oozes and jellies. Use slashing or piercing weapons on them and you are in for a nasty surprise.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Actually thats a reasonable idea (if done sensibly) and one of the other modders is already looking into it for some new weapon types.

If that works (and I remember, and I could be bothered) then yes, I will probably look into 'repairing' the hammers in this manner. Or, any one else is welcome to :)

5. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

And i always forget which ones do it too, so i always get the nasty surprise... Hasted Full Attack :suprised:

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

these are the feats I'm looking at stealing for use else where. I wasn't planning on using all of these weapons tho.

{29}{Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Halfling Kama)}
    {31}{Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Halfling Nunchaku)}
    {34}{Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Nunchaku)}
    {39}{Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Orc Double Axe)}
    {41}{Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Dire Flail)}
    {42}{Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Two-bladed Sword)}
    {46}{Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Whip)}
    {48}{Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Net)}
    {231}{Martial Weapon Proficiency (Light Lance)}
    {232}{Martial Weapon Proficiency (Light Pick)}
    {233}{Martial Weapon Proficiency (Sap)}
    {237}{Martial Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Lance)}

martial weapons would have to be used as martial weapons. Im planing on using mostly exotic for what I plan to do.

7. Shiningted

And here I thought you were just using Dire Flail ;)

Don't we have a light pick in the game? If not, ummm could we? That would be a great weapon for all sorts of burrowing grubs (Dwarves and such) and would have obvious RP potential.

8. Cerulean the Blue

Keep in mind that weapon type also determines reach when you use those. I think we should only use weapon types we know we will not ever implement in the game for different weapons.

9. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I also remind you I'm working on the Orc Double Axe. ;)

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I'm in agreement with all of the above; just on ones we know we're never gonna use.

Maggit, I think you're just spinning your wheels, there, but it's your time, so...

11. Shiningted

Well which ones do we think are just NEVER gonna happen?

I would say the dire flail is a good start, because even if we get a few double weapons going, thats probably going to be the very last one due to the peculiar animation required, and we can then factor in the lack of interest...

Next, the light and heavy lances are not an option if they are designed for mounted combatants (otherwise the lance seems to be a more expensive, heavier longspear that does identical damage).

And much as I would love a net in the game (weilded by a guy with nothing on but a helmet, and a trident in the other hand) I really can't see any possibility of it getting modded in in a way that does it justice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

If the centaur mod ever gets done, then the lances may yet have a use. But I am inclined to agree that they are way down the list. Nunchaku are also there as well. Sap & whip ought to be fixed for people that want them. Too bad about the net; it'd be a nice addition.

#'s 2 thru 6 (plus the lances) on the list you put up ought to be used for this, IMO.

13. Cerulean the Blue

We may be able to do a net, so let's not count that one out just yet. Sap and whip may be possible as well, and the whip at least would be really cool. I'm not so sure we need a sap. It's just a club that does non-lethal damage. I think all the double weapons should be considered fair game (sorry Maggit), even if the dire flail is a close relative of the three-sectioned staff. Nunchaku as we know them from the movies are really a silly weapon, more flash than damage. The ones used for real combat more resembled a flail anyway, so they can be fair game as well. Giving that we don't have steeds, and even if we manage to make centaurs, I think we can do without lances.

As for the light pick, Ted, there is a world of difference between a military pick (one used for combat) and a mining pick. You can't dig very well at all with a military pick, and you can't fight very well with a mining pick. That said, I still think we should leave the light pick for itself.

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

the nunchaku actually works in game, but we don't need a halfling version, same goes for for the kama. I was going to change the nunchaku (one of them) to butterfly sword which is another monk weapon but doesn't seem to be listed in the srd.

the feats I'm using straight off are Halfling Nunchaku (maybe the regular nunchaku ), Dire Flail, Two-bladed Sword and maybe one of the lances

15. Shiningted

Sorry? The nunchuks work? I'll have to look at that.

Otherwise I would agree on putting the sap in: yes its pointless, but thats no reason not to do it if we can (and we can). Again, a possible RP hook there for a kidnapping plot or something.
    Fair enough. I agree we should leave it (or add it) - I see we have a heavy one, perhaps the light pick went the way of the light flail. Lets throw it back in - or maybe we could have a mattock? We all remember that Dwarven mattock charge in the Hobbit ;)

The whip would be nice but I don't see how we could do it (though I have no aversion to it). As for the net - well, if Jesse can get tanglefoot bags working we could do a variant using web instead of entangle (ie a one-person target web), and work the whole thing off the spiked-chain animation. In theory, I guess.

But then I would also say I prefer what Cujo is willing and able to do now, rather than non-existant theoretical stuff for later.

Our Host!