Thoroughly Boned

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Aestas, Dec 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Aestas

Aestas Member

How does one... should one have been so stupid as to need to... go about doing a successful uninstall/reinstall of ToEE.. without having to do a system restore???

I managed to screw up the protos.tab file the first time I played with it. Afterward, the game would load and then immediately crash with the games saved up to that point. New characters and games ran fine, but I couldn't continue my existing games. I copied the character files, knowing they were useable, and then uninstalled it. Upon reinstalling, the game would boot up to the point of starting a new game. As soon as the vignette played it would crash. Playing a totally new game, with totally new characters, did not help. This time around... no uninstall was included with the game in the installation. Manually removed everything to do with ToEE from my computer, including mods, saved files, etc. This time around... ToEE crashs in the initial load!!!

Any ideas? Every time I touch it, things get progressively worse.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2003
  2. Aestas

Aestas Member

"???" = amusing

3. tkurgan

tkurgan Member

delete the protos.tab file and you will be fine

4. Bob the Elf

Bob the Elf Member

You might have introduced a new item or something unique from your old protos.tab and got it on your save game, if your new protos.tab doesnt have the same item I suppose it's possible the game will crash everytime you load. It's the only thing I can think of...

Fix: New game :/

As for crashing in a new game, maybe your start_equipment.mes has some items arent in your protos.tab?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  5. Aestas

Aestas Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions.
    I got it fixed. It had something to do with a custom map I had made. Everything else was getting deleted and since I kept having trouble I went to searching and found my map still there. Apparently it was the problem. Deleted and I am adventuring again.

I asked this before but, what are some things not to edit in the protos.tab? Is there anything you've come across that you can say was responsible for subsequent crashes?

6. Bob the Elf

Bob the Elf Member

In general, deleteing any lines will make the game hate you very much :). Other than that it seems fairly safe to edit stuff, I've never got it to crash with simple logical changes (used data from other objects/npcs to get the desired result).

Our Host!