[Project] New Content!

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by rex_blade, Nov 20, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. rex_blade

rex_blade Established Member

MODERATORS: PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD
    hahaha, fooled you! You thought I already had new content, didn't you?
    WRONG!

I started this thread becuase I am looking for a team to work on a project that adds new content to the game. Currently I am looking to add:

New Clothing, specifically to the tailor's shop, including new mage's robes, hoodless cloaks, and cloaks/hoodless cloaks that carry the symbol of the dieties that you can choose in game. Also perhaps more colors.

New models/ textures/icons for armor: new helmets, some gilded textures for old helms, a set of inlaid ivory full plate armor and matching helms/boots/gauntlets.

New weapons: models, textures, icons, masterwork versions of some of the more exotic models already in the game. etc.

New Quests: There are a lot of unused characters that we could give late-game quests to where they could reward you with a family hierloom(sp?) *cough fancy amor cough* etc.

My skills:
    protos and mes file manipulation
    modeling
    creative design
    minor texturing

What I need from you guys:
    someone who can edit .dlg files and do some scripting.
    someone who is very proficient at texturing and owns or has access to photoshop
    someone who can figure out the cloth physics the engine uses.

my email is rex_blade634@comcast.net
    email me if you would like to contribute to this project.

2. rex_blade

First new content package!

My first new content package will add composite long and shortbows both mundane and masterwork to the town of hommlet. Look for this mod later tonight.

For those of you who do not know, composite bows increase range by 10 and allow you to add your strength modifier to damage rolls.

Watch out though, they ain't cheap ;-)

EDIT: and YES this is considered new content because there was only one composite longbow in the protos and i'm pretty sure it wasn't even in the game.

Update: Have the bows fully entered intpo description.mes and protos.tab, I was going to add a long description for each one that would say "this is a composite bow, it takes X strength bonus to wield but gives X bonus to your damage roll, if you do not have X strength bonus, you will suffer -2 on attack rolls" but i dunno now...

I will update again after i look at the long descriptions file and see how difficult it will be.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  3. rex_blade

If anybody ever figures out how to add NPCs to a map, please post so her or email me. I would love to add a Bowmen to hommlet (in the tavern?) that would sell all 12 mundane composite bows.

4. Shin

Shin Established Member

You know I had in mind a small expasion/mod called Pirates of Elemental Evil for quite long, and tried to make Troika release their toolsets but all I got as answer was the chilling silence. :(

Good luck in your project.

BTW, I've been thinking about the hoodless cloak, and noticed that when you wear a helmet, the game won't draw the hood.

Two possilities :

1.The game checks if you wear a helmet, if yes, it then it *erases* the hood -> try to make an *invisible* helmet

2. The game checks if you wear a helmet, if yes, it then it calls for a hoodless cloak model -> extract the texture, 3D-model of the hoodless, give it a new model number, modify desired cloaks in proto.tab

5. rex_blade

hmmm, well the only problem wiht the invisible helmet is anybody who wants to wear an article of head clothing that is normally covered by a hood: such as headbands and cerclets, however it might be a good temporary start for anybody who doesn't mind taking up their head slot.

6. Tach Deneva

Tach Deneva Member

Could headbands and circlets be converted to count as helmets, and therefore achieve the same result - that is, hoodless cloaks?

TD

7. rex_blade

Yes, however the problem then is that characters like my thief would not be able to keep their hood up while they wear headband of +intelligence and stuff

8. rex_blade

Ok, I'm just about ready to release my first content package (composite bows), however I have some problems that are simply utterly stumping me.

First an update:
    This content package corrects many bugs that will be posted, makes a few modifications and add COMPOSITE BOWS to the game. The bows however are giving me some trouble:

1.) The bows have been correctly added to the protos.tab and the description.mes file. However when I added them to the hommlet trader's store inventory, even with 100% chance of showing up, they simply do not. Does anybody have a any experience with getting store inventories to work? I managed to add plate glvoes and boots to smyth's store.... :-(

2.) i made long descriptions in tthe long_descriptions.mes folder for each of the bows. however i can not figure out how to attached these descriptions to the items so you can shift-click them. Help?

3.) I am adding the masterwork bows to B. smyths masterwork dialoug provided in the Co8 2.0.0 patch. I've got no freaking idea how to mess with that, though i was looking at it in notepad.... i sut downlaoded the dialoug editor on the Co8 site so maybe i can get this working on my oun.

4.)Does anybody know what 3d modeling software troika used to make items and such in this game? I would like to eventually (soon) make compound bows into recurves so it is easier to tell them apart.

That's it for now. As usual if you would like to join my team and help contribute email me with list of what you can do. I share credit with everybody who contributes.

9. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Regarding 1), have a look here:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=207

I'm at work and can't check but just see if that comments thingie (// )has been sorted out in the InvenSource.mes file

I need the tools and files to check on 2) and 3). Perhaps later tonight.

10. Shadowkat

Shadowkat Member

On the hoodless cloak thing, there is a 'helmet' that is small enough to not be seen that counters the hood. Check the basic crown out, only problem is it up the Int greatly, couldn't find where it was getting the info for that jump either.

11. djac

djac Member

hey how is the new content project coming? Would definitely be interested in checking it out! I wish I could help you do it - but my modding skills are limited to editing basic mes files and such.

I *can* write, however, so if you have an idea for a quest, I would be willing to write some dialogue.

12. Shin

Shin Established Member

Errm as the matter of the fact, I'd like someone to write dialogues that will make NPCs give their *crap* items away.

Why don't you start working on dialogues for Meleny? The idea would be :

1. Check if PC party has enough gold (500 golds?).

2. Add a dialogue line in which you propose buying her new/better equipment.

3. She agrees (diplomacy check maybe) then gives to PC her equipment, her rusty dagger to begin with.

As well, I wish there was a dialogue line for Scorpp (see your own thread :D ) that would make him abandon to you his (in fact the gnome's) crossbow and magic scrolls when he loses the fight. like "plz stop, me give you these..." (I know I suck at writing, OK? :p)

13. rex_blade

well, as it currently looks the project is on permanent hold until:

A) Someone who can program in Python helps by writing some scripts that tell store keepers to update their inventory

B) Somebody figures out how to accomplish A without using any python scripts

or

C) Troika releases an SDK

Also, if someone with experience in the 3D industry can tell me what program can import the game's meshes for editing, that would help. I've tried using both gmax and Maya PLE.

But seriously, the project centers around the shop keepers and giving them hot new shaith.

I'm not making any new items until that issue is resolved.

However, since i have already made the compound bows, i will continue to try to mod smyth's MW dialouge to incoporate the MW compound bows.

~Rex

Update: MrSparkle has contacted me and informed me that he can program in python. Perhaps between the 2 of us we can get this going....

Last edited: Nov 26, 2003
  14. ls1290

ls1290 Member

Have you looked at PovRay? It is a good 3d drawing/model program :)

15. rex_blade

No I hadn't evne heard of it. Thank you, i'll check that out when i get home from work.

So apparently troika is working on a second patch that *might* get released. If they fix it so that vendores correctly update their inventories via the invensource.mes file (or release information on another way to accomplish this.) I will resume work.

Right now the items i *plan* to make are as follows:
    -hoodless versions of every hooded cloak/robe in the game.
    -a "Cloaks of the Gods" series that will have a peticular patron god's symbol on a cloak in the god's color's. Both hooded and unhooded for each of theg gods in the game.
    EDIT:
    -Maybe a set featuring the house symbols soem fo the more prominant noble houses in the Song of Fire and Ice series? I think that would be coooool.
    -Masterwork versions of all of the fancy looking blades (fantasy longsword, egyption longsword etc). With that done you can crafy cooler looking armaments. This one will be easy.
    -New "recurve" models for compound bows.
    -EDIT: OH! and masterwork ammunition. Ehancement bonuses do not stack with that of the bow. Therefore a +3 bow firing +2 arrows does not give +5 to hit/damage. You just take the highest, in this case +3. HOWEVER Your bow could be enchanted to add fire damage and your arrows to give cold. This will make ranged weapons more usefull/versitle.
    -Gilded versions of all the helmets in the game. I can't beleive troika didn't do this. Gilded plate gloves and boots but not helms? You gotta be kiddin me.
    -A new set of Ivory Inlaid Full Plate armor INCLUDING a brand spankin new mesh... maybe... might just take gilded armor and replace all fo the gold with white... dunno yet.
    -Boots, gauntlets and helms to go with new plate style.
    -New studded leather armor textures. The bright red makes it seem less... stealthy... then it should.

If you guys have any other good ideas feel free to post them here.

Once again i must specify that i won't even BEGIN to work on these until i know for CERTAIN that i will be able to EASILY introduce them into the game.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
Our Host!