Going solo

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by DaBigDawgND, Dec 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. DaBigDawgND

DaBigDawgND I am the Grim Reaper

Just a FYI for ya. I started a new game and am only using 1 person, fighter with dual long swords. Gave her both cleave and great cleave, and if she gets surrounded the first AoO that occurs any of them that are close are dead, everytime. Level 5 by the time I was done with the moathouse, did all of the Hommlet quests before doing that. :goatee:

2. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Sounds interesting. If you can actually make it the entire way through the game, I'm curious to see what level you'll be at.

3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I guess not more than 20 unless you
    turn off the level cap and you're not
    playing with reduced xp. ;)

4. DaBigDawgND

Actually I am using CtB's Xp reducer and I thought that 20th lvl was the highest you could go. I will keep you informed as I go along here.

5. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I am curious how you are going to get weapons and armour powered up with no wizard. Are you going to just use what is there or are you going "total solo"; no NPC's at all? It would be a shame to get so much stuff you do nothing to only for sale to get money.

But I would never go solo myself.

Keep us informed. I know a Rogue can do well. I am curious. What are your fighters' stats? Might give me an idea why you are going solo.

6. DaBigDawgND

Her stats are 18 Str, 15 Dex, 17 Con, 15 Int, 14 Wis, 16 Cha. Got those in 9 rolls, usually dont roll anymore than 10 times and take what I get. She is currently a 10 lvl fighter and 2nd lvl cleric. The further I go the less chance I think I will make it with just her. Getting stomped pretty bad in the temple. And no I am not using any NPC's, it is strictly her.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  7. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Once you get your cleric level to 7 you can make those longswords holy, and then the fur will fly!

8. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

My one attempt at soloing I made a Paladin/Cleric and married Meleny for the holy longsword. I think I made it to about level 8 and was just thinking about heading to the Temple before I got bored and started over with an actual party.

It's certainly doable solo, as there's been various threads here and at the Atari boards about it.

9. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Maybe I'll try to go solo with a bard/rogue, to do the dialogue quests and gain basic spell ability in addition to sneak attack damage and trap/lock opening. It would involve a lot of sneaking into rooms to sneak attack someone and then fleeing before their buddys react, as well as charming brigands to do the heavy sword swinging for me, while I sing them a bonus to hit and damage.

Could be fun.

10. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

How do I do that ?

11. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

Take the Craft MAgic/Arms and Armor Feat. I think your cleric has to have the Good Domain, and some other stuff.

12. DaBigDawgND

Actually I am doing a LN with her, but so far the fights have been hard with alot of running to town to heal up as well as all of the healing spells and healing potions, but atleast I havent died yet. Been down as low as 2 hp but I also have great fortitude and die hard, makes it a little safer having them. But still marching along. Updates to come as I get further down in the temple.

13. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Well, if she is LN, Axiomatic should do almost as much good in the Temple as Holy. Most everything in there is CE.

14. DaBigDawgND

I will give that a try thanks for the advice.

15. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

I just started a solo adventure but started with a Rogue/Fighter/human. He also has one level of Ranger. WIthout a level of that has survival as a prime skill level, i keep getting nabbed with random encounters.

Plus without the rogue open locks and dialogue options i find i miss opening needed chests or npc reactions. The cleric skills just don't do it for bluffing and sensing. not to mention lock opening.

I hadn't thought it possible to start a solo without anyone helping.

A way to level up at the start of the game is to save a game right before you finish the module. kill the lady of fungi and don't kill the summoned creatures.

the games ends and if you start a new game you get the experience points from the last game.

That way you can start a single level guy with 2,999 experience points. (you don't actually get the experience points until you fullfill a quest or you kill something).

My character hadn't even finished all the Hommlet encounters and was almost 6th level.

If you're character is a fighter/cleric of CG, your cleric: you could get both scather and fragrach. that would be kick a$$ for a solo player with dual weapons.

i've been farting around with a solo character all week. i keep adjusting and restarting to figure out who will be the best character.

a cleric fighter might do the trick (as far as still being able to interact with the surrounding game and encounter reactions with npcs).

Our Host!