Neverwinter Nights 2 impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agetian, Nov 12, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hey guys,

I promised some of you that I'll tell you my opinion about NWN2 once I get the chance to play it, so here I am. I've been playing NWN2 for a few days by now and I think I've seen enough to be able to express what I think about this game. I guess my opinion would be interesting to some of you because I'm one of those people who hates the original NWN1 and who thinks that the original NWN was a failure even despite all the patches, expansion packs, and community modifications.

First of all, I'd like to say that I was positively surprised to see that the game is definitely NOT the same as the original Neverwinter Nights. The concept of the gameplay has been massively rethought by Obsidian (in a positive way), and the game plays much much closer to Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic (a great game IMO) or Baldur's Gate series of the games than NWN1 itself.

Of course, it's not a true D&D game like ToEE, and it uses a CRPGed remake of the D&D 3.5E rules to make the game fun to play in realtime-pausable way (similar to BG,NWN,and KoTOR). So, don't expect true turn-based D&D from NWN2, unfortunately you're not going to get it. However, for what it is, the realtime system used in NWN2 appears to be quite nicely done, so it's definitely a fun CRPG, even if not a fun D&D game. The system has been seriously advanced from the NWN1 time in respect that this time you have complete control of your party: you can take direct command of any of your characters, control his/her level-up process, and modify inventory in every way you want. It's a BG-style party control this time, not the dumb NWN1 henchman system that was a pure excuse for party control.

What I liked the most is the fact that this time I got a deep, involving single-player story that lasts over 50 hours and that includes multiple options for the use of Diplomacy, Intimidate, Bluff, Sleight of Hand, and other skills which are mostly disregarded in contemporary CRPGs. NWN2 is not a dumb hack-n-slash like NWN1 was. Even though combat is still a great part of the game (probably the biggest), multiple sidequests with the dialogs offering plenty of alternative ways to deal with things definitely raise the level of this game in my eyes. Also, the KoTOR influence system makes a comeback here, making PC-NPC interactions even more interesting. Your NPC party members will get influenced by your actions, and doing bad things in presence of good NPC allies can cause you to come down in their opinion.

Of course, this game has its downsides, and many of them. First of all, the game is definitely an "Atari release", which means it's buggy and heavily unoptimized. Obsidian has released a couple patches by now, and are planning to release the third one very soon, so hopefully the gameplay and technical aspects will be fixed soon enough. Also, I would have actually liked to be able to create my party myself instead of being able to recruit the precreated characters into my party. And I would have liked a turn-based option which would have made this game feel more like a D&D one. And I would have sure liked a way to actually roll my character stats instead of using a 32-point buy, which is the only option that exists in NWN2 for now (someone's writing the roller I think).

So, the verdict is: among the current RPGs that get released, NWN2 is definitely a fun game which is in many respects different from its predecessor (NWN1) and which brings more single-player gameplay depth and involvement than the previous NWN game. Basically, you can say that NWN2 is Neverwinter Nights done the Obsidian way. If you like the Obsidian-style CRPGs like KoTOR or if you enjoy deep storylines with PC-NPC relationships like Baldur's Gate, there's a high chance you'll like NWN2. If you like dumb hack-n-slash and more simplistic Neverwinter Nights 1 style of game, NWN2 can actually be a big disappointment since it's definitely a different type of game.

Pros:
    + A long (50+ hours), deep, involving single-player storyline that's on par with the top CRPG storylines out there (Baldur's Gate and KoTOR)
    + Many options for non-combat ways of solving quests, e.g. diplomacy, bluff, etc.
    + Many sidequests with different ways to solve and different outcomes.
    + Complete control over your NPC party members
    + PC-NPC interaction is on a rather high level, with ability to gain or lose influence with your party members and with ability to make them choose their further path of development (e.g. multiclassing after a side quest and so on).

Cons:
    - Many bugs, including slowdowns and lag, and gameplay issues.
    - No possibility to create your own characters for a party.
    - Only one option to set stats for your main character - a 32-point buy. No rolling option, which is sad. Note that this point is to a certain (small) extent compensated by a wide variety of subrace choices, which offer bonus points in different abilities.
    - Little improvement in the toolset department: you can still only choose fixed DC and damage values for weapon effects, which is rather dumb, etc.
    - No true-to-D&D turn-based mode.

Feel free to agree or disagree, I just stated my point of view as a person who never ever liked NWN1 but who always liked Obsidian's style in CRPGs, like KoTOR2. ;)

- Agetian

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  2. Tahl Stormbringer

Tahl Stormbringer Slayer of the Malign

Well, since NWN2 is not yet released here in Australia yet (we ARE at the @ss end of the world here :( ), i can only sit and quietly await it..... Damn you northern hemispherians!!

3. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Thanks, very interesting, and it sounds like a real improvement.

You say it's pause-able real time; Baldur's Gate style, can you set it to pause after casting a spell or at the end of a turn?

4. TOEEHamster

TOEEHamster Member

Its buggy, you can afford to wait for the patch. Other than NWN2, another game I'm looking forward to is Medieval Total War 2. I'm actually thinking of crafting my own module.

Lets hope the games don't end up on the regret list.

5. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

Just one more con... The interface is very clunky, and not nearly as inuitive (or fast) as the radial menu.

6. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

Sadly no, there are no options to pause the game based on events that occur (e.g. spell cast, enemy sighted, etc).

7. Agetian

Yup, I haven't seen these either, but I haven't used them in Baldur's Gate ever anyway, and it's actually not a big loss for me. ;) (To tell the truth I had some trouble remembering that there was that feature in BG)

- Agetian

8. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

It was pretty handy. Made it much easier to track a complex combat with multiple spellcasters.

THanks for posting the review.

9. Pygon

Pygon Member

I've been playing it myself, and I agree with Agetian's points.

The things that stick out to me:

* When I got to level 10 as a rogue, I was eager to select Opportunist, but it just provides a +4 to AoO's, not the lovely free AoO on an enemy damaged in melee.

* If you pause, select each of your party members and tell them where to move, then unpause again, it's very likely that a number of them will not make it to their destination because something got in their way (I had PC's stopping in doorways or not moving at all). You also sometimes have to move a PC to another location before you can tell them to attack an NPC because they refuse to find their way around other NPC's. The pathing just gives up too easily. Of course if you have your party on AI mode, this won't be an issue - they will try again automatically.

* No counterspelling. This was a disappointment. I set up a Sorceror with Dispel Magic for that very purpose.

* Archery rangers are somewhat gimped in that I have yet to be able to enchant a bow decently. Manyshot also only does the damage of one arrow right now (which doesn't help much against casters that surprise you). The favored enemy ability scales more slowly (if I'm interpreting it right - it's either +1 per selection and all existing go up +1, or they are all at the same level, meaning at 15th level you have 4 favored enemies each at +4, which is actually better than 3.5).

* Allowing full party control becomes problematic with a full 3D camera, especially with indoor maps. You might have the battlefield fully visible, but then you click on a caster outside the room and the camera shifts, so you have to rotate the camera again to click on an enemy for the caster to attack. I'm hoping they come up with a camera option to make it more BG like. There is a free camera mode, but as was said, the UI is clunky.

I love the fact that you have full party control, though. When my party dies, I want it to be my fault and I want to be able to fight the battle a different way if need be. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have bought it.

I've had lockup problems and some trigger problems (most fixed with 1.02), but not often enough to frustrate me away from playing.

My first time through I played a greatsword fighter/frenzied berzerker. Two cleaves on a kill was just awesome :) I'm playing an elven ranger now, and I'm muddling through.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Persistent Worlds that the community comes up with. I also wouldn't mind at all if someome comes up with a way to support turn-based.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  10. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I'm surprised with how good the game actually turned out to be.
    Well there are some bugs (annoying and some that should
    never occur) but it's pretty fun. I found the campaign quite
    interesting although I stopped playing it a while due to my
    interest in RPG servers. Really good stuff and I even forgive
    Atari/Obsidian for ignoring the whole Polish community and
    having us to wait for the 1.04 patch while everyone had 1.03
    and could play on-line. I must say that most rules are horridly
    changed, some feats cause lack of balance, etc. But it's not
    ToEE... the only PnP-like D&D 3.5 game in the world. ;D

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Yeah...and I "dug this up" just for you, Maggit...

Attached Files:

12. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

I got right to the end and then....nothing. The trigger must have been broken that brings out the great foozle.

Bugs, like shit, happens. But a gamebreaker at the end?:no:

13. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I've heard so many bad things about this game that it's not even funny...

14. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

NWN - the ULTIMATE Multiplayer D&D game. Nothing beats it, not even to this day.

ToEE - despite the bugs, due mostly to the incredible work of the Co8 team, it is IMHO the Ultimate Singleplayer D&D game yet.

NWN2 - somewhere between NWN1 and ToEE. It wants to be an SP game, but it also wants to be a MP game at the same time, and falls short of both. In time, NWN2 has the potiential to become both. Whether or not that potiential will get realized remains to be seen.

As one who was bored stiff by both the OCs from NWN AND NWN2, I have found the OC for ToEE to be superb. For SP play, the story is everything, then comes the gameplay, etc.

In any regards, the more different "flavors" of D&D based CRPGs there are, the better.

Peace.

15. Agetian

Well, it looks like game companies have forgotten about the art of making good games. Every single game that I saw released within the last at least year came out glitchy as sh*t, I can't remember what it was exactly that I enjoyed playing without having to worry about the game crashing, the saved game becoming corrupt, plot becoming broken, or whatever else there is.

Ah, good ol' times... I remember those days when patches were purely cosmetic and didn't really matter (unpatched games were fully playable in any case). :(

- Agetian

Our Host!