Reversing a Botched Quest

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by blackfly, Nov 9, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

To anyone who can help.

I am playing through, yet again, and in Nulb I cannot get Preston Wetz to sell me his house, and of course, this will not allow the encounter with Rannos and Gremag that we all know of. I look up the logbook icon and it states that the quest was Botched, but I have no idea how. I did every sequence of event needed with Mickey, Mona and Preston that I have done in the past to make him want to sell me the house, but now I cannot get him to sell it to me and I do not know why. I am not so much worried in losing the resting spot, but I desperately want the encounter with Rannos and buddies.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. I will go to Verbobonc and see what happens.

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

start here at the bottom of the thread is the console command to change the state of the quest. to find what quest it is look in gamequestlog.mes, in data\mes

3. blackfly

Thank you, but HOW do I do it? I am computer stupid, but smart in every other way. When I try to open the file, it tells me to seek the program that wrote it. Is there any EASY way to reverse the botched quest moniker? I want to face Rannos and Gremag, but cannot as yet, and if I advance any further, the encounter will be far too easy.

Sorry I am not more computer literate, but if I were, I would be a modder not just a player. Thanks in advance.

4. Radish

Radish Member

gamequestlog.mes (along with any other .mes file) opens just fine in notepad. Simplest way would probably be to open notepad, then drag the file into it and let go.

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

open the file with notepad. btw that is the easy way.

6. blackfly

Okay. I opened it, but all I get is a list of the quests. I do not know how to change the state of it. In fact, I see nothing about the state of ANY of my quests, botched or otherwise. It seems to be a list but nothing to do with the game I am running. Sorry to be simplistic, but I am in uncharted water right now.

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Open the console and type the command you want from the list below...

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Did I write those? Looks familiar... :scratchhe

If I did, I forgot to mention that there is (according to Phalzyr) an unbotch command:

game.quests[#].unbotch()

Use at your own peril!

9. Allyx

I used that one in Elysia's dialogue, and it seems to work just fine :)

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

the number you want is the one next to the name of the quest you want to fix.

11. blackfly

Thanks all. We will see. As it turns out, my game needed complete reinstalling. The Hickory Branch mod does not work with me. Every time I try to use the Parchment it sends me to Hommlet. I am not happy. I really want to go there (I have yet to do so) and I was hoping to encounter Rannos and Friends before I did so. I tried loading my saved game and it was corrupted.

I am starting anew.

But if anyone can suggest why with the HB mod I go to Hommlet and not HB I would be greatly apppreciated.

12. Allyx

With 5.0.0 and the 5.0.2 CMF installed, you don't need the parchment of challenge.

13. blackfly

So how do you get to HB without the parchment? I am not aware of a link on the worldmap and I am assuming that like Verbobonc it doesn't work like that. I want to go but with all my games so far I have yet to encounter HB. I always seem to end up in Hommlet, not HB.

14. Allyx

The whole point of the 5.0.1 vs 5.0.2 (and the dual updating of the CMF for these patches) is because the updated .dll in 5.0.2, and the other files in the 5.0.2 CMF enable worldmap travel (including worldmap paths) from Verbobonc and Hickory Branch to every other place on the worldmap, thus rendering the Parchment of Challenge obsolete, it also allows for unlimited travel to Verbobonc, as and when you want to travel there after you first discover it's location.

Your old saves will become incompatable, and unfortunately this is unavoidable, but 5.0.2 will become the basis for future modding.

Our Host!