Fixing perma spell effects

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by tkurgan, Nov 30, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. tkurgan

tkurgan Member

This was a reply I wrote to zhuge in the Atari forums.

zhuge, I wish I could do it that way. I am not trying to keep secrets, there is just no easy way for me to describe where the spell effects are as there are many factors that affect saved game file sizes. I just have a really good feel for them. The best way I can describe it is the second or third 01 04 up from character status data (not very helpful, I know ). It is not obvious, like ability scores, there is no method which I can tell that this effect is x (If there is, I am too dumb to figure it out ). You will see what I mean below.

Particle effects, btw are in a completely different place but, fortunately, the cure is the same. Particle effects are listed all in a row for each member of the party affected. I couldn't begin to describe where they are as they are not near anything I can reference.

As for what numbers spell and particle effects are, I actually cast the spell on myself and look at what the numbers are, so I literally have to do them one at a time. Fortunately, the patch makes it easier to correct the spell effects once you find them. What I will do now is do step by step instructions on all the spell effects I have cured. I hope that this helps.

Steps
    1) Make a backup of your save game (tfaf file).

2) Open hex editor (I use hackman, though I think it s*cks).

3) Do a find for the following make sure you are looking for HEX not ASCII in the mode -- depending on your condition (don't worry about spaces). These are the ones I have cured.

Entangle - de 4a ba 01
    Entangle Particle Efffect - a5 1b de 03
    Good Hope Particle Effect - 04 af b5 04
    Silence - c4 a9 50 01
    Webbed - 0e 1d b9 02
    Invisible? -d9 f8 af 0c c31 ee 80 08 35 99 e7 0a

4) Overwrite each byte with "00". You will have 4 "00"'s in a row for each instance of each spell listed above except for invisible which is 12 "00"'s in a row.

5) Save the file. Load your game again, and you should be good.

2. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Excellent! I'm sure many will appreciate it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    I've always believed in 'teaching a man to fish so that he eats for a lifetime'.

I've seen the post on Sir K's sticky at the Atari forums as well and of course it'd be nice to keep one list updated once in a while if you make any new discoveries to add to the list of fixable permanent spells/spell effects. After all the list of permanent spells was and still is (I think) pretty long. <hint, hint> ;)

tkurgan at Co8 = tpigeon1 at Atari. Wouldn't have linked the two if you hadn't mentioned it. ;)

3. tkurgan

tkurgan Member

tell me what they are and Ill add to the list or point me to a post

4. tkurgan

tkurgan Member

The unfortunate truth, now that I think of it is it might be able to happen with any spell, but it is just a rare occurance. It seems more likely with good hope and silence btw....

edit--still pointing me to a list of post patch ones would be most helpful.

5. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Well, I would like to point you to a post but most data collected are from pre patch observations. Even current reports cannot be confirmed as post patch unless the player has explicitly said so. Since Troika did mention adding a catch all for permanent spell/spell effects, it is likely that some of these have been cleared and I don't want you to waste time searching all over for already corrected bugs.

Anyway to my best knowledge, the following were reported as permanent, post patch (but I'm not 100% sure as some reports were rather vague)
    -Calm emotions: permanent particle effect
    -Good Hope can leave particle effect on character permanently
    -Inspire Greatness leaves motes above character heads
    -Ghoul Touch
    -Silence
    -Meld Stone to Earth
    -concealment checks for Windwall
    -Death Knell

Perhaps it is better to have a look at this list of permanent spell bugs compiled by Talius before the patch:
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=320531

I really can't comment much from personal experience. I don't use spells heavily. Bless, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Prayer and Haste seemed to work just fine for me. Good Hope worked alright as well. I didn't get any lingering particle effects after casting it ONCE, but I noticed my Sorc status was still: Concentrating on the spell Good Hope, even after the spell had expired. This was post patch.

Perhaps I would look at Death Knell next, to see if the Str increase is permanent. If I'm not mistaken there were a couple of reports on it. I hope it is easily reproducible.

Sorry I be can't more specific. I'll try my best to provide a better list of confirmed permanent bugs post patch. Hope I can find some way to reproduce them definitively.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
Our Host!