Go to Verbobonc with full party of 8?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Radish, Nov 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

We're switching gears now I see, but I'm game I suppose.

I think I can speak for most modders here when I say that we don't mind criticism, especially when it takes the form of potentially helpful feedback. In that light, your comments above, particularly when delivered in your new conciliatory tone, are fair and even appreciated.

But that's not what's at issue here, and I believe you know it. You walked in here with a swagger befitting someone who purchased a defective product at market, complaining of irritation and "unacceptable" conditions. Your silly capitalization and use of bold I, my text was blatantly disrespectful to the originator of the mod, who labored on it at great length and at no cost to you to add longevity to a game you did purchase, but for which you will find no further support from its publisher. Lastly, and somewhat bafflingly, you went on to ask for help with the things you cited as being so poorly executed. Unless you are a fool, you should have had some expectation that the very person you just insulted would be the one most likely to assist you with your problem.

Get a clue Radish: we aren't beholden to you in any way, and until you grow up and learn some manners, you might as well keep your opinions and 'problems' to yourself. Consider yourself warned.

2. Radish

Radish Member

I was irritated in my first post, and I do need to commend Allyx for putting up with it so well.

That being said, I don't think getting something for free curtails my right to be irritated with it. Excited thoughts of, "Yay yay, Verbobonc, new area, new quest(s), new encounters," were running through my head for the good handful of hours between finally looking up how to get there and reaching the prisoners, only to crash into a wall of "No, you can't go for yonder (from my perpective) completely arbitrary reason." I challenge anyone not to be irritated in that situation.

Of course, curbing that irritation so as not to immediately hit the winkey to go to desktop and point IE at co8.org so I can write up a post while still deep in a sub-optimal state of mind...well, I'm sure there's plenty of people who could have succeeded at that where I failed.

As for who I expected to get help from, I figured it might be a fairly common annoyance that people had sought solutions for before, and another player could provide me with the answer. That's been my experience before, but then that experience was also with other "bigger" games and mostly non-mod content, so it was a pretty different situation I suppose.

I've always found it annoying in said party-based RPGs, too. Variety in party configuration should be encouraged by having a variety of interesting potential party members to choose from, and nothing else. Baldur's Gate 2 (for instance) managed this just fine, and forcing Valygar on me to get into the Planar Sphere was just irritating (though I can thankfully get rid of him once the door's open and then use the character I want...or console his body into my inventory).

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Well...now you know. So lighten up, if you please. You've been lurking here long enough to know better, if not posting a bunch. This is a small community that takes pride in not being like other forums where people regularly troll & trash one another. Am I still getting some attitude you've got with Gaear? If that's the case, you should drop it now. Feel free to be irritated with things as you like; but do try a little diplomacy. It goes a lot further than attitude.

Someone should lock this thread before it really goes apeshit.

4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I think we have the crux of it right there. You don't want to play the mod on the developers terms, but on your own terms. For all you knew the 7 member party limit could have been purposefully set by the mod developer for game balance reasons, or any other number of reasons. You seem to not want to play the mod as envisioned by the modder, but rather your vision of what the mod should be. To me this is in the same category as people who come here and complain about not being able to open chests without a rogue.

Either play the mod as it was made, or read all the helpful tutorials and info on this forum, learn to mod, and make your own vision a reality. But either way, stop whining.
    Too late. I've posted.

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Yeah; But you're a marshmellow, nowadays...:love:

6. Radish

Radish Member

Assuming the taking up of a follower slot wasn't just a technical limitation, which as I understand it it was, then yes, you are correct. But my terms - being able to use 8 characters - are the same terms the rest of the game plays by. I don't think demanding consistency in core gameplay mechanics like party size is being all that picky.
    My first post could be called whining. Since then I've only been explaining myself in response to other people's posts.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

With that acknowledgement I'll happily take Spike's sound advice and shut this thread down. Anyone who wants to post any final thoughts will have an hour or so to reply.

Radish, if you can discipline yourself to be Radish #2 all the time, you shouldn't have any further trouble around here.

Spirited debate, on the other hand, is another matter entirely. ;)

OK then, closed.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!