Go to Verbobonc with full party of 8?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Radish, Nov 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radish

Radish Member

I'm at the two female prisoners that take you to Verbobonc, excited to go there for the first time, when my character says, "We have no room for followers at the moment." Now, I went ahead and kicked one of my followers out, giving the mod the benefit of the doubt and assuming it would go through the no doubt absurd difficulty of finding out what followers have been recently kicked out and taking them with me to Verbobonc so I can immediately have them join back up again (because as absurd as that idea is, it's not nearly as absurd as the notion of not being able to play Verbobonc with the same full party I can play the ENTIRE REST OF THE GAME WITH). However, this was not so. To make things more irritating, my only "expendable" follower is Riana, who however takes Serena with her, leaving me with no rogues at all whatsoever. Obviously unacceptable.

First I should ask if perhaps the mod has been updated to get rid of this "using up a follower slot" silliness and I need to get with the times. But if not, is there a way to get to Verbobonc through the console, or any other means that doesn't require changing my party roster from what I have chosen it to be? Since I'm not going any other way.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

A mod is in the works which will remove the need to recruit the prisoners to get to Verbobonc, but until that gets released you'll just have to make do with what you have - a full group or use one less PC than you currently have.

3. Radish

Radish Member

Or entering "game.fade_and_teleport( 14250, 0, 0, 5121, 510, 500 )" in the console also seems to work :mrhappy:

4. Allyx

Well yes, but that's cheating. :p

5. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

yeppers... I had to kill off my familiar to get there.... oh well they're a dime a dozen

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hang on a second here. By the sound, we should have just had Allyx scrap the entire Verbomod project, given that we were unable at the time to employ world map jump points? Having to dump an NPC to play an x-hour-long expansion to the game is completely unacceptable?

There are a lot of frustrating aspects of this game and our mods, Radish, but frankly your tone is out of line, unless I'm reading you completely wrong.

Remember that you payed zero dollars and zero cents for the use of this material. If it doesn't meet your standards, you may be best off going back to the vanilla game.

7. Allyx

It's ok Gaear, I have no regrets about making the Verbo-mod, or spending 10 months of my own time doing it either. The main reason I made the mod, was because (with ToEEWB) I could :). I'm immensly greatfull to Agetian for building such a wonderful, and useful program, and made the Verbo-mod almost exclusively with ToEEWB to show that it could be done.

I've praised Agetian's work, and commitment to the ToEEWB project both on this forum and in the IRC and many IM sessions I've had with him. Without ToEEWB the Verbo-mod could not have been created, so it stands as a testament to Agetian's work.

That said there are files already in existance to remove the need for the temple's prisoners to join the group at all. they will be able to mark Verbobonc on your map (since .dllfix v15 - thanks to Spellslinger), then either join your group, or make thier own way there (with the new worldmap paths made possible by Hazelnut's pathmapper, and Spellslingers worldmapper tools). you can then travel to Verbobonc as and when you feel like it.

8. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Allyx has already received much well deserved praise for Verbobonc, but I'd like to add some here. It is a terrific mod, both a full new town with multiple current side quests and a stage for Allyx or future modders to add new content.

So, thanks. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  9. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Dude, just consider the party limit to be seven, and work within that framework to build a viable group, one of whom should be a rogue.

Or you can design a party where non-rogue characters cover the rogues esential skills, so that you can get by without having one. One such way is by using a wizard with sleight of hand, which I see as in keeping with the idea of a modern magician. The wizard also has knock, rendering open locks unneeded if you craft a wand to make him your party's door/chest opener. Maybe you want a stealthy ranger with move silently and hide in shadows, so that you don't need a rogue for sneaking.

You can get by without a cleric also if you have a bard for cure light wounds, a paladin to lay on hands and smite evil, and if you don't mind fighting undead instead of destroying them.

THee are lots of options for a seven character party. Myseld I like a five person party with interesting NPCs rotating through the sixth slot, and sometimes even the seventh.

10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I play with 6 party members, max, whether a combination of PCs and NPCs, or more-likely, 6 PCs. Waiting until you pick up Riana and Serena to get a rogue is an odd strategy, IMO.

11. Old Book

Generally I play with 3-6 PCs, plus (sometimes) Meleny. While I like a Rogue/Fighter with larger parties, any character with an INT and DEX of 16-18 and 1-2 levels of Rogue can handle pretty much every lock and trap in the game. Rogue 2 / Wizard X and Rogue 2 / Bard X work particularly well.

12. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

You ned to be at least third level to handle the locks in the moathouse, unless you can get masterwork tools before going to Nulb, and I think it was fifth or sixth level before I could open the blacksmith's chest. PLus there is a magic trap in the temple that requires a ninth level thief to get past it.

You can't go wrong by taking a basic rogue and going through all the way to level ten, beyond which the rogue's skills get buggy and also because the game dsigners didn't put anything in that I am aware of beyond a tenth level rogue's capability.

I'm just offering a perspective that while a good rogue is an assett, you can get by without one, though I wouldn't want to in any party larger than three.

13. Old Book

One level of Rogue plus additional levels of anything purchasing Open Locks, Disable Devices and Search Cross Class will have exactly the same scores in those abilities as a pure Rogue. All you need is an INT16+ so that you have the skill points to do it. I regularly open the Moathouse chests with a Rogue 1 / Fighter or Wizard 2, plus the use of the Guidance cantrip from a cleric or Druid (+1 to skill roll). Cat's Grace and Fox's Cunning come in handy as well. Cross class learning is one of the cooler bits in D&D3.+ ;)

I've got nothing against Rogues; they make great party leaders and solid damage dealers, especially with a few Fighter or Barbarian levels.

Pretty much agreed, but I don't worry about having a "pure" Rogue. Sneak Attack and the boat load of skills make for a fun and useful character, but a Rogue1 or 2/Wizard X who disarms traps and picks locks can handle the Thief roll just fine.

14. Radish

Radish Member

I'll answer your questions a little out of order, Gaear.
    Yes.
    No. But it did cripple the mod. Though a crippled mod can still be good, as Verbobonc has proven to be so far once I used the console to go there on my terms.

It's rather like ToEE itself, which is instead crippled by bugginess and many rough edges in need of polish (like the way default NPC looting behavior quickly made most of them useless). But it's still good, and even better once you find work-arounds and patches and mods that significantly improve on its short-comings. Which I consider much like finding a console method to go to Verbobonc without losing a follower.

All interesting ideas, but 6th level is a bit late to start implementing them. Plus, you're still missing disable device and the ever-delightful sneak attack.
    Ah, interesting NPCs. That's why I have the party that I do. The humble farmer's daughter marrying an adventurer to become a powerful druid and legendary adventurer herself, and the two lost sisters who endured slavery and prostitution to be reunited at last. I've played with fewer, and I surely will again, but I started this game with this party in mind, and it's the party I want to use.

Aye, but having two rogue followers AND a rogue PC felt a bit too redundant to me.

15. Old Book

You can have maxed out Search, Disable Device, and Open Locks using a multiclass Rogue 1 or 2 / Anything X through cross class learning.

As to the Vebobonc mod being "crippled", there were several quests in ToEE that required you to take along a specific NPC when the game shipped, and more have been added since. It's a trope found in the majority of party based RPGs, and gives players another reason to play through again using different party configurations. At the moment, Verbo happens to require 7 Party Members or fewer when you meet the quest giver, just as the quests to free Thrommel or avenge Zaxis' sister. It is being changed in the next release; it never crippled the mod.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!