Hickory Branch MOD (new)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by krunch, Jul 16, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hi all:

Did anyone else have two large black squares in the HB area, it's like the areas have not been explored yet, (fog of war?). I found a set of stairs going down and explored that area. I wonder if I'm missing an update or something, running 5.0.2.

Agetian: I have gone to HB twice with a CN party, and yes my faceman had good deplomacy. Yet like I stated in an earlier post I get the map when asking for humor in all things.

On a different note, when I get encounters on the world map the number of assailants shown due to survival skill are actually half of the assailants. Message says two brown bears but the fight is actually with four brown bears.

btw........thanks for all the GREAT new content you'all have added.

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I've noticed the same problem, since Co8 4.0, I think.

3. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Re: Krunch

Thank's Krunch. And I apologize if this was a breach of etiquete, I actually forgot about PMing. I'd better go check my mailbox now.

Moderator's Note [Agetian]: Acknowledged. The thread is merged with the Hickory Branch Mod thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2006
  4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Not a problem. Intentional. Sometimes you count incorrectly. :)

I added a chance of a level-dependent multiplier to the number of enemies to make random encounters at higher levels more interesting, if not more challenging.

For a little clarification, the dialog with Mona has been that way since the game was released. CG, CN, TN, CE, and NE parties need a Diplomacy skill of at least 8 in order to get the Orb quest, which you need to do to get the dialog option that gives you the HB map. The only thing that was changed was that dialog option, which used to do nothing.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  5. Kalshane

Ah, but there's times when I'm limping back to Homlett after the moathouse/Temple/Meadows/whatever and I get a "2 trolls" random encounter and think "Well, I'm pretty beat up, but I should be able to take two trolls. Besides, maybe I'll finally get the damn swamp map with the Lotus on it" and then there's actually 4 trolls and my PCs die horribly. Not so much fun.

I totally understand making things interesting for higher level parties, but one would think a character with a higher Survival score would have a smaller chance of miscounting than a character with a lower one. I'm all for the tougher encounters, it would just be nice if they were "as advertised". Or are the monster counts pre-created images?

6. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Changing the monster counts in that window would have required a lot more work. I would have had to rewritten the enemies tables for every encounter map. My solution was a the quicker fix of just looping the enemy creation code a few more times.

I thought the "unknown" quality would add to the enjoyabilty of the mod. As it stands now, if you have any points in Survival at all you can avoid almost every encounter.

The random encounter code doesn't actually compare how much Survial skill you have to anything. Just that you have some. This may change in the near future. Spellslinger and I have been talking about it.

You shouldn't be getting any multiplier below 8th level. I never have. I will look at the code again. Okay, I looked, and the multiplier should only be 1 below 8th level.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  7. sirchet

Hi all:

So I take it that no one else has seen these black square shaped areas on the Hickory Branch map. One is just to the north west of where you enter the map and the other is due north of the first one. These black squares are about the size of a small house, maybe a little smaller.

8. Kalshane

In practice, for me, it means I avoid encounters if the party is low on resources because I don't know what I'm really going to be up against. Though I suppose that makes some degree of logical sense. "There's something in the bushes over there." "Well, we're pretty beat up, best to keep moving rather than take our chances."

Huh. I know the game manual says it lets you choose to fight creatures of up to the CR equal to your Survival score. Of course, in practice that means you're probably not going to be encountering anything your Survival skill doesn't match, anyway.

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

should not happen...I'm looking at 5.0.2 this weekend

10. sirchet

Krunch:

If someone would be so kind as to instruct me on how to capture a screen, I would post the screen with the black squares. I tried print screen but couldn't locate where the file went.

btw......I really like the target rich enviroment this mod offers.

Thanks

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

when you do a print screen, you can just open your image programe (like paint) and just paste, and it'll paste the last screen that you "printed"

12. sirchet

Hi all:

I captured the screens with the black squares.......but they are each 1.83mb, this forum lets you upload 100kb files only. Any suggestions?

thanks Allyx for helping me with screen capture stuff via chat room.

13. aehchua

aehchua Member

I am trying to run hickory branch with a version of 5.02. When I invoke the PoC to initiate Hickory Branch, the screen fades to black. The hard disk spins for 15 minutes. ToEE then does a CTD.

This is the only mod where I get this behavior. It could be from a bad install of hickory branch.

Some other bugs in my install (which I assume will let folks figure out what I'm doing wrong):

After quest for Amii, the woodcutter's relative never replies. Same for Tillahi and Thrommel.
    Kenter awards but does not complete Orc Quest.
    If orb of moons is invoked after a random encounter, I am forced to the travel map when I click the map icon. The point I am forced to is the last place I invoked the orb from.
    Iolo's Joy sonic damage does not appear in craft weapons and armor

All the above save for the hickory CTD are minor bugs. The hickory CTD is a partial showstopper.

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@Sirchet, you could try opening the pic's in photoshop, reduce the image size, save for web (or convert to .JPG)

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

"...PoC..."

@aehchua: uhm - What?

Our Host!