ARGH, this game is impossible!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by TastelessRamen, Oct 14, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. TastelessRamen

TastelessRamen Member

So I have an evil party, and i've done every quest I can find.

I've stolen items that are higher level than what i'm supposed to have from various characters...

my characters are level three.

Every quest I get pits my characters against groups of 10 or 12 creatures which would probably be a match for me in groups of six.

What am I supposed to do? this is insane?

I can't hit the bugbears, I can't fight the guys in the tower, I can't fight the orcs in the cave, I can't kill the giant in the field... I can't do ANYTHING?

Is this game supposed to be impossible.

I really like the game but this just seems silly.

Am I missing something?

I should also add that I am pretty knowledgable about D&D and I definitely feel that i've built my party pretty well.

I just can't find any encounters which suit my levels at all...

2. DaBigDawgND

DaBigDawgND I am the Grim Reaper

If you have a druid in your group use the entangle spell on the giant and the bear and just shoot the hell outta them. As for the moathouse I usally have 2 or 3 people with bows and crossbows and shoot like hell every chance they get.

3. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

Be patient. You are biting off more than you can chew. With the mods, the encounters are harder, more intelligent and challenging. I suggest more levels by simple fighting and random encounters to make up the levels. Sorry, but sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

4. DaBigDawgND

DaBigDawgND I am the Grim Reaper

This is true. Both the moathouse and Emridy are not easy either way. Thats what is so fun with the game.

5. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

I found that if you entered the moathouse courtyard at night, one group of enemies wouldn't spot you until you had just about finished dealing with another. That and solid character builds (sound spell choices, Fighter and/or Barbarian with Cleave and a two-handed weapon from the get-go) make the moathouse very doable, though the guys in the tower are tough any way you slice it.

6. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

Isn't there some other way to do things if your evil? I haven't played evil yet, but surely you can join the baddies instead of fighting the same old battles as the good side.

7. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

If you're an evil-aligned party, the best thing is to rest in the Deklo grove after killing the spiders and the drow with Black Jay's Ring(after having done almost all of Hommlet's (non-fighting) quests). I generally keep on resting until I get three consecutive rests in a row without encountering any monsters. At that stage, the chance of monsters appearing is so reduced, it's not worth it any more - but it's a great way to get extra XP, as higher levels work wonders.

Also, I ought to add that there are two things that will make the game much easier - a half-orc fighter with a 20 strength score, and an elven druid with the summon nature's ally ability. being able to continually cast summons distracts powerful monsters such as the giant in Emridy Meadows so that you can avoid having your PCs slaughtered so quickly. nd yes, the giant is best killed with the use of ranged attacks (after using the druid's entanglement spell once or twice) or, more effectively with magic missile and the druid's "produce flame" spell.

As for making more evil-aligned quests, I quite agree. Evil-aligned parties should be encountering paladin-heavy parties rather than, say, Turuko and co at the 2nd Moathouse encounter, for example.

8. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

Be sure you haven't - in the options field of every character - the "stun damage" and similar things turned on. I had it, and my party did almost no damage at all ! (Except sun damage, of course.)

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

get yourself an evil cleric and get a lot of cannon fodder by rebuking undead in emridy meadows

10. TOEEHamster

TOEEHamster Member

I find the difficulty alright with 6 PCs and no NPCs.
    How high are your character stats?
    I have 18/16 str for my tanks and at least 16 con for everyone and my "max player HP" is off.
    While facing a horde with a few of them with more Hit Points than my fighters makes it look hard, things usually work out fine.
    The sleep spell makes low level combat easy and my current party is doing well without it. Grease, glitterdust, tash laughter, entangle, web, summons esp spirtual weapon makes large groups of enemies manageable. I sometimes win without a scratch.
    Shields are safer than two handed weapons.
    Keep your wizards safe, cast mage armor & mirror image before combat.

11. arius

arius Member

get an arcane caster with web and/or a druid with entangle as recommended here. But having the heighten feat will really increase the potency. At later levels you can have a cleric or druid cast the spell Freedom of Movement on your toughest melee fighters, who can then resist being held by these effects. Then the battle will be a little easier. You can also find several FoM items in the game (I think I have 3 so far).

12. Gamoc

Gamoc Member

this is a very effective tactic, I use it all the time. Distract enemies and rain spells/arrows/bolts/etc on them.

13. TastelessRamen

TastelessRamen Member

once I hit level four the encounters became much easier.

Thanks for the tips though, guys...

14. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

Yes, that's why I only use evil-aligned parties.

Re two-handed swords and shields:- To be honest it's far better to have a two-handed sword as it can generally deals out far more damage than a one-handed sword. A shield only gives a couple of extra armour points early on in the game, so is not worth the large reduction in damage with a one-handed sword.

Our Host!