Leveling up past 10/11 with co8 5.01

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by rgs3, Oct 9, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. rgs3

rgs3 Member

I have a question, My party of three has stopped gaining experience for killing creatures at 10th level wizard, 11th level cleric, and 11th level rouge. I can't figure out the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The level cap is removed by default, it could just be that the enemies your defeating in combat, aren't enough of a challenge to award you any actual experience. Goblins for example don't present any challenge to characters of 11th level, try fighting something harder.

3. Gamoc

Gamoc Member

I recommend the bottom layers of the Temple (shivers)

4. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

What creatures are you fighting? If you're fighting things that are too weak in comparison to your character, you don't get any XP for fighting them.

5. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

On a related topic, I have noticed that my crafting characters (cleric and wizard) who are always a level lower then the rest of the party stopped getting higher experience rewards than everyone else once they got to level 10 or 11. E.G., when my level 9 ftr got 208 xp for a fight, the lvl 8 cleric got 256 (or thereabouts.) But now that the ftr is lvl 13 and the cleric is lvl 12, they both get the same. Is this rules compliant? Or is it a side-effect of turning off the level cap?

6. Kalshane

I believe it's a side-effect of turning off the level cap. Troika didn't program in the XP requirements and awards for levels beyond 10. Co8 added the level-up requirements for each level, but I don't believe any additions were made to the XP awards, so it wouldn't suprise me if all characters above 10th level were still using the 10th level chart. Which means, of course, the 11th+ characters are getting more XP per encounter than they should.

7. erkper

Maybe fixing this would ease some of the need to decrease the XP percentage the game gives.

8. TOEEHamster

TOEEHamster Member

Wait a minute. I had a level 3 party which kicked and replaced one of their party members using the inn. The new level 1 character gained the same amount of XP for quests and kills as the rest of the party.

9. Kalshane

This is per the rules. Characters of level 1-3 use the same line of the chart. From level 4 on, there is a separate line for each level.

To forstall the next question, characters that are 7 levels higher than the CR of the monster gain no XP for that monster, so you'll eventually reach a point where the lower level members of your party are the only ones gaining XP from certain fights.

It would certainly be something for the modder types to look into. I have no idea how much work it would entail.

10. Osaka

Osaka Member

Crafters always get the short end of the stick unless you want to rely on what you can find in game. Only way I've really seen to bring any sort of party xp stability (seperate from the xp cap issue that was answered) is to have at least 2, preferably 3 share the duties and have the major ones (like wonderous items and arms & armor) overlap so your cleric or wizard doesn't get sucked of all his xp whenever you want to make a sword.

11. erkper

Thats why it irked me to see that the crafters weren't getting their "catch-up" XP once they reached level 10.

Our Host!