Thrommel reward fix

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Obex, Nov 18, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Obex

Obex Member

In a post on the atari site, LiquidDamage discovered that Thrommel's reward scene was not a random event, but a set time delay, which was not being set properly. He writes:

"So, I can't get Scather. The encounter never happens. People say "Be patient! it's random!", so I spend 2 hours resting for 5 days in nulb and hommlett, back and forth. I finally get fed up and decide to see what triggers it.

It ain't random, folks.

When you talk to Thrommel for the last time, after taking him out of the dungeon, he sets a delayed event for 1,209,600,000 thousandths of a second. That is 14 days.

When 14 days have passed in game time, a variable is set in a list of pre-defined encounters. When this variable is set, the next encounter on the world map that you get will be the reward encounter. That is the way the code is set up-- if there is a pre-defined encounter queued, and you get an encounter on the world map, it will be that pre-defined encounter.

So. Why are some people getting this encounter and some not?

I cut the last three zeroes off the delay time, so that the new delay time is 20 minutes, and I get the encounter EVERY TIME as the next encounter after Thrommel leaves. Every time.

If I add one more zero, making it 200 minutes, it sometimes won't ever give me the encounter, and sometimes gives it to me on the first or second random encounter on the map.

If I add two zeroes, making it 1.4 days, I never get the encounter. "

I had the same exact experience, and i ended up editing the py00149thrommel.py file to provoke the encounter promptly. the edit is simple to make, but i could supply the file for the less computer savvy folks out there if there is interest.

2. lost sheep

lost sheep Member

I'd most certainly be interested!

3. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Sounds like an important find. Could we incorporate this into the next Co8 patch once we've cleared up the details?

4. Kharmakazy

Kharmakazy Member

It would be nice to be able to add in my own random encounters... after all there are only 5 or so...

I'd make one trigger from dialog with lareth... sort of like his henchmen sent after me.... maybe one from killing someone in the temple... lol getting chased by ettins.... that would be cool.

5. Obex

Obex Member

That sounds great. Keep us posted.

The file is small, but i dont have a site to host it. If you post your email, i can send a copy. I am also going to try attaching it with a fake .txt extention, but i dont know how this will work.

Attached Files:

6. rex_blade

rex_blade Established Member

rex_blade@comcast.net

I'm already hosting for shin, it's no biggie.

Thanks for your hard work.

Edit: It's nice to see others contributing.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2003
  7. lost sheep

lost sheep Member

BUMP.
    I will keep both eyes open for this fix.Unfortunately,in my case,it will have to be a fix a computer illiterate can work.

8. rex_blade

well if he sends me the file i will host it and then all you will have to do is replace it.

9. Obex

Obex Member

I tried to email the file to rex_blade@comcast.net, but it got kicked back to me (rex_blade@comcast.net>:
    63.240.76.26 does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 551 not our customer
    )

Here is an alternative. Right click on the attached file in my previous post, save target. Rename the file, removing the .txt extention on the end. It should be named py00149thrommel.py. Place this file in your data/scr folder (maybe it is found under c:/program files/temple of elemental evil/data/scr, but i have installed it in a different directory.)

The reward encounter should occur as soon as you travel on the world map after thrommel leaves you. enjoy.

10. lost sheep

lost sheep Member

Done that.
    File appeared on desktop appearing as a notepad.
    Name was py00149thrommel[1].py.
    It had no .txt extension.
    Is this correct please?

11. rex_blade

woops! my email is rex_blade634@comcast.net

Sorry, sometimes i forget the digits.

12. Obex

Obex Member

remove the [1] and you are good to go

actually, do you have file extentions hidden? if so, you need to turn them on (via folder options) to remove the possible .txt extention.

when i get home, i will email the file to rex_blade to get it posted to avoid confusion.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  13. Thalander

Thalander Member

the file is .py or .pyc? i need to replace the file named py00149thrommel.pyc ??

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  14. lost sheep

lost sheep Member

Sorry about this (remember I said I was a computer illiterate ) but please could you tell me where to find "folder options?

15. Stodgel

Stodgel Member

You will find Folder Options in the Control Panel.

Our Host!