Can't loot even with COE 5.0 patch

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Aeroldoth, Sep 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Aeroldoth

Aeroldoth Established Member

I cannot loot most monsters, and cannot seem to open containers. I have WinXP SP2 and DirectX 9.0C. Here's what I've done:

Installed ToEE
    Installed patch 1
    Installed patch 2
    Did NOT install patch 3
    Installed COE 5.0 - front end
    Installed voice/pic packs

Started COE front end, selected CO8 mod
    Started COE front end, created 300 MB file

Created a party of 1 PC, using pic packs (finished with play file)
    Modified party limit to 3 PC/5 NPC
    Picked up 5 NPC and have finished Hommlet

I am now in Emridy meadows and cannot loot. I could not loot in the Deklo grove and cannot open the rainbow rock. Every attempt leads to CTD. I could open SOME of the monsters in the Deklo grove normally, but most lead to CTD.

I have searched this forum and read that this problem is fixed with v5.0, so I don't know what is wrong. Any help is welcome.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

What version of ToEE did you install, the jewel case bargain bin version or the retail boxed set version - and the USA version, UK version, or other language version?

3. Osaka

Osaka Member

Though there is a different underlying problem at work here, the Co8 5.0.0 patch should've resolved any looting issues. There's another trick you can try in the meantime: When you get to the monster (or at the battlefield's case the rock) that you want to loot, hit the h key to bring up the help cursor. Target and click the monster or item, this should give you access to the looting screen to pick the stuff up.

If you move to the monster and the window doesn't come up, try hitting the c buttom to refresh the character's actions. Using the c button trick you'll have to do a lot later on for killing trolls, they can all be unconscious but when you try the coup de grace attack you get the message "not enough time" so hit the c button and then k to kill the troll.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'd say you've got a corrupt save. Used to happen to me a lot, CTD when I tried to open chests.

Try an earlier save.

5. Aeroldoth

My copy of the game is US retail. I bought it hot off the press when ToEE was initially released.

My problems have been there since the start, off a fresh install, so I don't see how it could be a corrupt save.

The h trick works! That helps immensely with looting corpses, and not losing the tiny items that don't appear on the map. Previously, I had been waiting around for a day for the bodies to decompose, and then hope that I was picking up all the items left behind (since most of them don't show).

However, the bug still remains. Any ideas?

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

What version of Microsoft dotNET is installed on your computer?

7. Aeroldoth

I have .NET 2.0

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I would have agreed with ShiningTed prior to your response. So, please try this.

Uninstall the Co8 MOD and the ToEE game using the Add or Remove Programs applet in the control panel. Delete all of the remaining ToEE game folders in Windows. Empty the Recycle Bin. Run the Windows Disk Defragmenter. Reboot the computer. Reinstall ToEE, use the Atari Patches, and apply the Co8 5.0.0 MOD.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

If the problems have been there since the start, I withdraw my advice - I misunderstood you regarding when they started.

If you have't reinstalled (and it sounds that way) then by all means try Krunch's method first, then get back to us - this is certainly something we can get to the bottom of.

10. Aeroldoth

Well, I didn't want to have to go that route. But, it appears I have no choice.

So, I removed, deleted, erased everything.
    I reinstalled, reapplied, reattached everything.
    Since I'm doing the total overhaul, I redownloaded as well.

Now, initial tests indicate I can loot (I can open Terjon's and the jeweler's stash). I am still unable to loot in my old saves however. So, it seems I have to start a whole new game.

I am reminded of why I stopped playing ToEE. :(

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Aeroldoth: The game save data in that game session was corrupted. Uninstalling, removing remaining files and folders, rebooting, and reinstalling and patching fixed the game issue, but will not undo the corruption in the game save data.

12. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

I, too, had to start many times over because of bugs. I wanted to just trash the whole game, but am glad I didn't. Take heart, the game is well worth it once everything is working right.

13. Aeroldoth

Oh I know the game is great. I played the original module so many decades ago, and the comp version a few years ago. It's just that when I play a CRPG, I have a running storyline/dialogue going. How do the PCs feel about x, what do the villagers think, how does so and so's death affect things, etc.

Each time I play a game, I have a unique story going on in my head, with each character having a unique personality. When I was playing this time, I had a really powerful flow going. I had backstory, motivation, goals, interests, etc.

My PC paladin had taken on 5 NPCs, and we managed to do the moathouse in one go. By the end we were weak, battered, but still alive. We took on Lareth, and we were winning, when he activated his surprise. I was sure surprised! (Very nice touch btw to whoever modded that!) Tough-as-nails Fruella fell and Meleny, bless her gentle heart, went to save her. And this despite how horrible Frue had been to her, not liking me having two wives, always calling her "the other white meat." Mel went to save her, and they both died :)rock: , I mean :cry:. And clearing the way just in time for Bertram). The other surprises came later, and by the time we made it home, we had two dead, two unconscious, and me and Elmo both in single digit hps. It was tragic, it was powerful, it was a great ending to the Storm of the Moathouse, just the kind of thing I want from a CRPG.

And the game became too corrupted.

And now I have to start all over.

I have to repeat the character because the story was interrupted. But what to do in the Moathouse? Do I iintentionally kill Fru and Mel? What if someone else dies? I take death as permanent, and accept it when it comes. But to artificially manufacture what before was just the roll of the die? Now it all seems artificial.

14. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

It's all up to you. You can have your main character "retire" & start a totally new game (read: story), or try to complete the story you've begun & use the console to get back to where you were. It wouldn't be like you were altering things, just making it easier on yourself to complete the story since the game itself is so screwy sometimes. Bottom line: whatever is fun for you.

15. URABAHN

URABAHN Member

I've encountered the same problem and "h" for Help is definitely the way to go. I'm only 10 hours into the game, but I really don't feel like reinstalling the game. Thanks, Osaka!

Our Host!