Spells Not Working

Discussion in 'Negative Energy Plane' started by Sol Invictus, Sep 25, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Joviex

Joviex Member

You do not need a special editor. PY files are flat text.

2. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

Great! It works.

In any case, I can't seem to be able to alter Magic Missile damage. Has anyone had any luck with that?

3. Sol Invictus

Can't seem to get Magic Weapon to work as it should, however - though I may have fixed Silence (rather hard to test, as the bug doesn't happen all the time) and GHoul Touch.

4. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

pyc

Exit: it is probably just loading the .py files compiling them thus creating the .pyc so that the game can use them. Diablo II worked this way with its .txt .bin files. Which by the way I created a mod program for (Phalzyr's modder) if you know of it. I only know Delphi as in usfull programing for the Pc though (beside all the web stuff like javascript and such). I totally suck artisctically, my stick figures even look bad so don't ask me to do any art work :D

Unfortunaely I don't have the game yet so can't help you yet with anything that'd take testing but will play around once I get it(waiting on paycheck).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  5. indio

indio Member Veteran

I haven't been able to get ANY offensive speels to work I have onlymanages to break them so far. Maybe that's what your doing to the cure light wounds? Maybe you are just breaking it and thinking it is doing 0d0....

6. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

Naa... I also changed the spell effects, too. :)

The spell works, is sucessfully cast, but heals no damage.

I changed the red particles to blue... I like 'blue' heal spells. <g>

7. indio

indio Member Veteran

I figured out something a little odd . When you use a spell , a compiled python file gets put in the \modules\ToEE\scr directory.
    As far as I can tell it is only created when a spell is used for the very first time and not on every use.
    When you alter a spell , a compiled python file gets put in the \scr directory if the same compiled file already exists in the \modules\ToEE\scr . If there is nothing there , it gets compiled into \modules\ToEE\scr .
    I also think any alteration of the .py file even just opening and saving without altering cuases the game to compile the script. I have to test that more.

8. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

Python will compile .py files on the fly.

The behavior of the \scr directory has me scratching my head, too... it's outputting other, untouched, .pyc files from the compressed .dat's...

9. Sol Invictus

This is just plain odd. I managed to get Cure Light Wounds to heal 1d20 but setting it to 0d0 only heals 1hp. I can't seem to be able to change Magic Missile damage, though. I haven't tried with any other offensive spells.

Magic Weapon is probably in proto.tab or one of the other tabs.

10. a54321

a54321 Member

i think

from what ive seen/changed up to now magic missile is treated as a projectile with spell effects by the game - i think

descr.mes {3004} magic missile - is under the projectiles heading

i say this because ive managed to get fireball and flamestrike to do no damage (thats a lie-it does 1 but i think that might be fire/bonus damage)

and cure minor to heal 100 -which i think i might keep :p

11. Vaevictis666

Vaevictis666 Established Member

I think the 1 hp damage/heal may be a minimum for magic?

I can't see is wanting to make spells useless, but so long as they stay within the bounds you've set that's fine. Heck, try doing 1d1+30 or so and make sure it's 31 every time :)

12. Sol Invictus

Hey Dhoom, what did you change to make the spell effect blue instead of red?

13. Coalfax

Coalfax Member

While you are all in there fixing spells that dont work, can you fix spells that are mislabeled for level?

I bought the scroll of Invis from Burne and the darn s[pell scribed as a level -3- spell rather than 2. what the hell is up with that?

Take a look and see what they did to bork up the spell levels if you have a chance.

14. Phalzyr

I got my cure light wounds healing 31 everytime :D

I posted this on atari forum thinking it might take awhile to move but since it didn't (Since our modding forum(circle of eight) is done right now I thought I'd post this here, so dhoom and the other can taek a look. :D)

I edited the .py for magic missles and after trying several things got it to give me a 31 damage result :) here is what the issue was/is:

the procedure target.obj.condition_add_with_args seems to get its dice roll else where. so I replaced it with the target.obj.spell_damage one that other spells use that you could change the result and walla my magic missle hit for 31 damage :)

BTW I used notepad to edit them and it worked fine.

15. Phalzyr

Dhoom: is this the line?
    game.particles( "sp-conjuration-conjure", spell.caster )

Our Host!