Can i make a chr look like a gnoll?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ki Rin Ryu, Aug 14, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ki Rin Ryu

Ki Rin Ryu Member

Is there anyway possible to make a gnoll character?

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I'd imagine so. There's a tutorial on how to make a Vrock character in the modification part of the forum (it's stickied). Just change the information so that it is gnoll rather than Vrock. Let us know how you get on :)

http://www.co8.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

3. Ki Rin Ryu

Ki Rin Ryu Member

The downloads link it suggested do not work. :|

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

There is another dat extractor done by Agetian (sticked thread in that part of the forum) and also there is Agetian's modding tool World Editor which will handle the proto work (also in a stickied thread in that part of the forum). (Typing this without checking the links in the thread btw so no idea which ones are broken - might be useful to say).

5. Ki Rin Ryu

Ki Rin Ryu Member

World editor requires Protoss tab file... *puts a gun to my head*

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

It is possible to make a Gnoll as a NPC character.

You need to read Agetian's Tutorials that comes with ToEEWB. Because you are doing something that is different, I would suggest you also likewise read ShiningTeds Tutorial, too, maybe even a couple of times (from here). A large portion of ShiningTed's 94-page tutorial covers this aspect of modding ToEE.

1. Make a new Gnoll monster as a NPC...do a copy using the add button in ToEEWB and go from there.
    2. You have to make the Gnoll recruitable for it to be a NPC that can join a party, including its dialogue [dialogue = text you read, not voice-over dialogue].
    3. Plan on doing a lot of testing.

If you start from scratch, knowing nothing about modding and how ToEE works at the start - you read [not peruse, rather actual consumption of knowledge] the tutorals to learn what you are doing along the way and have good computing skills, you could have a working recruitable Gnoll NPC in a week or two, more or less depending on the amount of time and effort you devote to making it come to pass. It's a new world of information; you have to consume and come to grips with a portion of it to make it happen.

7. Ki Rin Ryu

Ki Rin Ryu Member

world editor shuts down each time and asks for a protoss file.. i wont pretend i know what it means. can someone tell me what it is and where can i get the one it wants?

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Check the Atari ToEE folder and subfolders for the files that ToEEWB needs to modify. Protos.tab and some of the other files are in the data\rules and data\mes subfolders.

You need to place a copy of the protos.tab, description.mes, and long_description.mes files plus any other of the default ToEE files ToEEWB will edit in the ToEEWB folder.
    * Agetian's Tutorial covers configuring ToEEWB [refer to Agetian's "Building A New Module.RTF" Wordpad file].

You can find the information in the tutorials I referred to previously. The tutorials let you know what is needed as the material is discussed in them. Keep in mind, the tutorials of Agetian's Building A New Module and ShiningTed's ToEE Modding are not complete exhaustive works; they are basic, general introductions totaling 21 and 94 pages, respectively. Agetian has some more advanced, specific topic RTF files, too.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  9. Ki Rin Ryu

Ki Rin Ryu Member

Thank you all for your time to help me out :) i will have a long read of the instructions.

10. Boozenbar

Boozenbar Member

I have no experiance with moding of any sort but I'll give all that stuff a read too. I would love to have a gnoll join the party, not sure why but I have always been a fan of gnolls. :goatee:

11. Ki Rin Ryu

Ki Rin Ryu Member

It worked :) cannot seem to get portrait working but my fighter is now a gnoll! thanks all.

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Oops. You're right, the links in Sir_Toejam's tutorial didn't work. I updated them.

Our Host!