How about some minor changes?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by cpdm, Aug 7, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

about the cutlass it is acually lighter than a scimitar, i own both, the cutlass is 4lb and the scimitar is just over 6lb. something else to keep in mind though is the cutlass i have is a naval cutlass which is nearly identical to the saber in style, that is the type they seem to focus on in the game too. the old style cutlass that was uses aboard sailing ships being only about 2ft long, tight quarters you know, was also much heavier with a broad single eged blade and rounded tip. they also used half basket hilts for punching shots where the naval cutlass did away with this. so its a question of if you want to use the old pirate cutlass, or the newer naval cutlass.

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

You've got a 6lb scimitar? That's damn heavy for a one-handed blade. A claymore (the two-handed kind) normally weighs between 5 and 6 lbs.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

If you do make a Hammersphere, please, make the Hammersphere have its own new protos entry and leave the Moradin's Soul Hammer unchanged and do not change its protos number.
    * Moradin's Soul Hammer is my idea of the perfect melee weapon for Ronald the NPC Cleric.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Yeah, 6lbs does seem on the heavy side. The usual weight is around 2.5 to 3.5 lbs. I have held a 4lb 'scimitar' although to be honest it resembled more of a scimitar/falchion hybrid.

5. cpdm

cpdm One-eyed wanderer

Don't worry krunch, I was doing some looking around on the WotC website yesterday and found out that the Hammersphere is from the "Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil" adventure. I am still interested in trying to implement it, but I won't be removing Moradin's Soul Hammer from the game.

Say, has anybody tried crafting a higher enhacement bonus onto Moradin's Soul Hammer +1? I know the Defending ability works as is, but does crafting raise it like it should, mess it up, remove it altogether...? Also, isn't a +1 weapon pretty weak for a god's personal weapon? Or is this supposed to be a knock-off?

From the What Weapon Do YOU Use thread:
    Good stuff, but I feel like I'm on a :tetter:. So, back to the shortsword idea... any (rules-related) objections?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  6. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig Established Member

I noted in a different thread that the 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide has been superceded by the 3.5 book Stormwrack, which lists the cutlass as a light martial weapon, damage 1d6, type slashing, crit 19-20/x2, +2 circumstance bonus to avoid disarms, 3 lbs., 15 gp.

7. cpdm

cpdm One-eyed wanderer

Thanks for the info Jesse, looks like I was in the middle of writing my post when you wrote yours. I'm changing the cutlass to a shortsword right now, but will probably wait a day or so to upload it so that people with objections can have time to voice them.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  8. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

who said one handed? its ol style scimitar which was the equavalent to a bastard sword. its a hand and half blade. from tip to hilt its 4ft long. they just got smaller over the years, and slimmer too.

oh and my friends claymore is close to 10lbs which is pretty standard for a two hand great sword.

9. Kalshane

Uh. No. A 10 pound sword is either a stage weapon or a parade weapon. You might find a German Zweihander that heavy that was meant for actual combat, breaking pikes, but actual swords meant to be swung at another human being in combat conditions don't normally get above 7 or 8 pounds, tops.

Here's a two-hander from a site that sells real (not wall-hanger or fantasy) weapons: http://www.armor.com/sword156.html

And a claymore from the same site: http://www.armor.com/sword100.html

10. cpdm

cpdm One-eyed wanderer

The cutlass fix is back up in the 5.0.1 mods and fixes thread. Now as a shortsword.

@Kalshane: cool site.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  11. Kalshane

They have a shop at my local Ren Faire and are highly recommended by the Western martial arts society out of Chicago I've trained under. Pricy, but quality stuff the replicates actual historical weapons. Every year I go out to the Faire and to hold and drool over this one awhile: http://www.armor.com/sword082.html Haven't been able to justify dropping the money on it yet, which is just as well because the neighbors are already disturbed by me practicing with my wooden waster. Live steel might give them an anuerism. (Or at least prompt a visit from the local PD) :)

12. cpdm

cpdm One-eyed wanderer

Yea, that Arming Sword is a beauty, http://www.armor.com/sword100.html is my pick since I'm mostly Scottish. I'm with you on the money issue... plus I'd have to get a bigger apartment just to display the thing!

13. Kalshane

I also like http://www.armor.com/sword081.html but it's a bit heavier than the Schloss Erbach. On the other hand, I have a bad habit of getting smacked in the hands (though less-so lately), so the ring guards would be useful. :)

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Damn it I should never have clicked that link, now there's heaps more swords I want that I don't have the money for.

15. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well Kalshane both mine are replicas i couldnt aford a real one :), but the navy cutlass is pretty close. same with my friends stuff all pretty stuff to hang on the wall. now my knives are real. maybe you should send some of that info to WotC so they can change thier info. thier weights must be way off

Our Host!