AI just standing there

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by captaincursor, Aug 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. captaincursor

captaincursor Member

I started playing this game again (I had never really finished it the first time) after getting disillusioned with the current MMORPG du jour. After searching out the circle of eight and getting the mods all installed I was having a great time. Then I started to notice certain things about the NPCs (both friendly allies and enemies). Often they just stand around in combat not doing anything. If they are not in view they definitely don't do anything, and if I had been the least bit tactical about laying down any kind of crowd control spells (web, entangle, grease) they definitely just decided to turn off their brain and wait for me to arrow them to death.

Have I messed something up. My computer isn't that old and can run most other games, but I have been rolling with eight characters, am I blowing the AI limit or something? Has anyone else encountered this?

I wants me challenging and deadly encounters!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Someone will need more information from you to reply, what you installed in what order it was installed.

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

It might just be the standard AI reaction. If the monster hasn't got a missile weapon then all it can do is try and break free if you sneak up and entangle be. If they can't see you, then they can't attack you. C'est la vie.

4. captaincursor

captaincursor Member

I installed the game according to the installation instruction on this site, and it worked without any trouble, fixed my looting bug etc...

5. Mad Max RW

Mad Max RW Member

I have had a problem, although extremely rare, when the random encounter AI refuses to enter the tactical map. It happens most often in swamp maps where they stand like statues just out of reach. The worst is when a couple of the monsters actually get into combat with me and a few others remain out of reach. This leaves me stuck forever in combat with no way to leave.

ToEE is just one of those games where you have to save every 5 minutes.

6. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Just curious about specifics, captaincursor could you post a screenshot of this the next time it happens to you. It would be a help to see where the NPC's are located. I have had somewhat similar experiences and am not able to pin down the cause. My suspicion is that it has to do with the NPC's location on the map or vicinity to certain objects.

Our Host!