Secret doors

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pere Ubu, Aug 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

That's what usually happens - once you've failed to detect a secret door/stair, you cannot then find any subsequent ones.

Might be useful to know the precise install order of both you and Pere Ubu after atari patch 2 was put on if this is a new bug or even the old bug made somehow less malignant.

If it's the old bug in a new form, it certainly means I'm wrong to suspect that the search check doesn't reset properly.

2. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Base install of ToEE - Atari 1 - Atari 2 - Co8 5.0.0

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I think I found the problem with this secret door Gaear, see the attached pics below...

Attached Files:

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

What's it all mean, Axl?

5. Allyx

The "lost" secret door, wasn't lost at all, it was behind one of those moving panels all the time. Knowing that the secret door should be there, I clicked (perhaps completely by luck) on the panel which moved to reveal the secret door icon.

It should be possible to move the icon a little so it's not completely obscured by the panel, and should show up normally when you take that route to get to the ghoul room in the moathouse.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Note that I saw this problem on the level above (in the zombie lunch room), where the panel in the column could be detected and opened, and the ladder inside the panel could be detected and visually observed, but the ladder could not be used. :sadblinky

7. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

If somebody put a secret door in the Inn of the Welcome Wench, it would save having to do all the fedexes and such before finding out that you have to restart. IIRC there was a secret door in the cellar, actualy a hidden compartment in a beer storage barrel where the militia's weapons were stored.

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Yeah in the original module there is such a hidden room.

Back to the issue of this secret doors issue, would redoing the secret doors in a new dat/mod cure the problem? Was doing a bit of reading in the worldbuilder's documentation last night, trying to figure out what was known about secret doors and what wasn't. Seems like there's a whole bunch of stuff that just 'happens' when you create a secret door and they are very easy to fubar. Could this be the case here?

9. Allyx

I don't think moving it will cause a problem, it's just a case of opening the sec file, finding the icon in question, extract it, change the location, embed it back in, and delete te original. Then run sector sort to make sure everything is in the right place.

10. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Putting the secret door into the cellar would let you know if you have the bug before you spend a few hours playing, so restarting would be less of a loss.

Our Host!